topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday April 18, 2024, 11:23 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Angry Fruit Salad  (Read 4947 times)

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Angry Fruit Salad
« on: May 28, 2006, 03:37 AM »
Here's a good one I came across on one of my 'click adventures'

http://foldoc.org/?angry+fruit+salad

:P

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Angry Fruit Salad
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2006, 02:25 PM »
Eew... like Dead Simple Downloader. Agh! My eyes! my eyes!

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2006, 02:28 PM »
from that page:

angry fruit salad
<abuse> A bad visual-interface design that uses too many colours. (This term derives, of course, from the bizarre day-glo colours found in canned fruit salad). Too often one sees similar effects from interface designers using colour window systems such as X; there is a tendency to create displays that are flashy and attention-getting but uncomfortable for long-term use.

;D ;D ;D what a great name for that phenomena.

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2006, 06:08 AM »
Rainbow Puke:

That assortment of colors that some programmers feel the need to introduce into chat environments, mainly by the use of color codes not normally supported by the software used to host those chat environments.

This results in usernames that look like this:  #c24#{SCC}#c33# ~¤£ôv뮤Gï®|¤~623_32493

and text that looks like this:  #cx#h#cx#i #cx#e#cx#v#cx#e#cx#r#cx#y#cx#b#cx#o#cx#d#cx#y#cx#!
(translation: hi everybody!)

The only time this text looks the way it's author intended is when someone uses non-standard, badly written software to host their chatroom, as is the case on the WinMX network.

The people that use these codes in their text expect everyone to run a server that supports them, even if that means compromising the security of your pc and millions of others in the process.

They also do not understand why people get upset in a normal room when the codes don't work but they continue to use them any way.

When these codes do work, it resembles a rainbow that puked on your screen, totally ruining any color scheme you may have taken the time to create for yourself, making the chatroom resemble AOL, and totally ruining your chatlogs with "garbage text".

(you can tell how I feel about this childish phenomenon >:()