topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 3:54 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Diamond Editor, multi-platform successor to Crimson Editor  (Read 13806 times)

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
From a post in the Crimson Editor Yahoo! Group:
Since development of the Crimson Editor ceased several years ago, I decided it was time to create a new project with similar features and functionality.

I am officially announcing the Diamond Editor.

Diamond is a full editor capable of running on Windows, X11, and OS X. Diamond was designed and developed in C++ and is available for the following platforms:

Windows 32 bit Windows 64 bit
Debian (Wheezy) Fedora 20 Ubuntu 14.04
OS X 10.7

Windows installers, binaries for X11, and a dmg for OS X can be downloaded from: http://sourceforge.n...iles/diamond/binary/

Diamond is open source and released under the GPL. Any questions and comments can be posted on the discussion area on the SourceForge  forum: http://sourceforge.n...e/discussion-diamond https://sourceforge....amond/?source=navbar 
Thank you,

Barbara

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Diamond Editor, multi-platform successor to Crimson Editor
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2014, 04:54 PM »
I'm playing around with it on Windows 8.  I clicked Column Mode in edit menu.  But I sure can't figure out how to select a column.  Most seem to work by holding Alt while dragging the mouse from the bottom up.  No matter what I do it selects by line.

The basic editor window looks interesting.  But also I notice no RegEx support in search.

I'm always on the lookout for good plain text editors.  If there's a killer feature I hope someone will tip me off to it.  :)

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2014, 03:38 PM »
I clicked Column Mode in edit menu.  But I sure can't figure out how to select a column.
The basic editor window looks interesting.  But also I notice no RegEx support in search.
Quoting part of another message in the Yahoo! Group for Crimson Editor:
By column mode I am guessing you are referring to column copy, cut, and paste. Yes, this is in Diamond however right now it works by using the keyboard, not the mouse. The mouse of course works everywhere else. This task is a bit complicated but it will get there. I wanted to announce Diamond and see how it is received.

Please feel free to download and give Diamond a spin. If you just want to read some  documentation here is a link:

http://sourceforge.n...ond_doc.zip/download 
 https://sourceforge....iles/diamond/binary/ Thanks for your interest.

Barbara
I tried Diamond 1.1 on Vista Home Premium last night, and found that it currently only does Unix line ends, not Windows CR/LF.  I immediately uninstalled it...  a bit unkind, perhaps, especially as it's a very young project.  I wish they'd make it no-install, so testing new versions didn't involve Windows installation tedium.

But also I notice no RegEx support in search.
Later versions of Crimson Editor (since 2002!) do have regexps; see the What's New listing on Homepage of Crimson Editor.

I had good service from Crimson Editor at work a few years back, and therefore have an affection for it.  However, I'd guess most people will point you to Notepad++.  NPP is, after all, a genuinely active project.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2014, 04:43 PM »
Thanks for the info. I uninstalled too.  Maybe I'll check it out again later.  :)

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2014, 01:16 AM »
Interested because I can't find one damn editor on Linux that will do what Notepad++ or TextPad will do.  They each do bits and pieces of what I need, and the rest can be accomplished with sed and whatnot, but dammit, I just want one text editor that is more than a notepad, and less than an IDE.  I'd heard that Sublime Text can do everything I need, but the price of admission is a bit steep for me.  Diamond won't compile for me, so trying the binary...

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2014, 05:34 AM »
Have you looked at Vim?  I thought it was a Windows port of vi but apparently it is multiplatform

]
portability

Vi is only available on Unix. Vim works on MS-Windows, Macintosh, Amiga, OS/2, VMS, QNX and other systems. And also on every Unix system.

Tuxman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2014, 06:45 AM »
Have you looked at Vim?  I thought it was a Windows port of vi but apparently it is multiplatform

Actually it started as an Amiga port.

I just want one text editor that is more than a notepad, and less than an IDE. 

+1 for Vim then.

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2014, 12:17 AM »
+1 for Vim then.
No.
If I wanted suggestions for a text-mode editor, I already have it in Nano.  Vim and Emacs both drive me nuts.  Vim more.  I'm talking about a nice graphical text editor with bookmarking, regex search, column edit mode, and some other things I miss from the above-mentioned windows editors.  I'm told that Kate does all I need, but !@#$%&* if I'm going to download over half of KDE just to run the flippin' editor.

Anyways, the Diamond binary ran here, looks ok, but Crimson Editor it ain't (yet).  I'll keep an eye on it.

Tuxman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2014, 02:10 AM »
I'm talking about a nice graphical text editor with bookmarking, regex search, column edit mode, and some other things I miss from the above-mentioned windows editors.

... which is what Vim provides.

Jibz

• Developer
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2014, 02:58 AM »
The thing with Vim is that it requires you are willing to spend the time and effort to learn to work entirely differently than you are used to. It may be able to do most anything you need, but actually doing it may be pretty hard until you spend the time learning how (which can be said about all editors, but in Vims case there is more learning involved).

I would try installing Sublime Text 3 if I were you. The trial does not have a time limit, all you get is a popup every now and then when saving. It works just the same on Linux as it does on Windows, and it is a very good text editor.

I probably wouldn't buy it though, before you feel confident development is still ongoing.

mwb1100

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2014, 03:13 AM »
Interested because I can't find one damn editor on Linux that will do what Notepad++ or TextPad will do.

I haven't used it, but someone I work with uses UltraEdit for Linux (UEx) and seems to like it.  My understanding is that now an UltraEdit license allows you to use it for Windows, Mac or Linux, so if you already have an UltraEdit license, you can use UEx (maybe after paying for an upgrade).

xtabber

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2014, 07:56 PM »
According to the developer, the 32 bit version of EditPad Pro runs quite well on Linux under WINE.  Details here.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2014, 05:41 AM »
The thing with Vim is that it requires you are willing to spend the time and effort to learn to work entirely differently than you are used to.

The learning curve is what puts people off.  I used vi just enough to start doing repetitive tasks programmatically.  But it requires a commitment to keep your head into it.  I'm sure now there are many more Windows style editors for use in Linux.  It's easier to dodge learning vi or emacs or whatever.  :)

Tuxman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2014, 05:42 AM »
Good luck using a Windows style editor when your X won't start and you'll have to fix config files on the terminal when you never dug into vi/Vim or similar editors.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2014, 05:55 AM »
Good luck using a Windows style editor when your X won't start and you'll have to fix config files on the terminal when you never dug into vi/Vim or similar editors.

I agree.  Sometimes those little x applets that configure stuff don't work.  Even if x runs it's good if you can remember how to fix the startup scripts under /etc with a console editor.  I bet many newer Linux users just reinstall when it gets hosed.  If you mention a directory named /etc or the fstab file they give you a vacant stare.  :)

Tuxman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2014, 06:01 AM »
This kind of "evolution" is actively encouraged by distributors though.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2014, 09:53 AM »
This kind of "evolution" is actively encouraged by distributors though.

Now if they just made Windows so it worked without having to know anything.  ;)

Cuffy

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2014, 01:19 PM »
Interested because I can't find one damn editor on Linux that will do what Notepad++ or TextPad will do.  They each do bits and pieces of what I need, and the rest can be accomplished with sed and whatnot, but dammit, I just want one text editor that is more than a notepad, and less than an IDE.  I'd heard that Sublime Text can do everything I need, but the price of admission is a bit steep for me.  Diamond won't compile for me, so trying the binary...

My needs for an editor, I'm sure, vary greatly from yours, but I have tried most of the ones mentioned.
I used Notepad++ for awhile but dropped it for Notepad2. Customize the menu bar (I like the X for delete at the very end)
Notepad handles html, highlights, etc., but it sure would be nice to highlight javascript and delete it ALL!
Yea, and fix lazyload.! :D

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2014, 09:38 PM »

Very true, which is why I use Nano for quick config file editing.  I only use a graphic editor when I'm intending to work graphically.  The best way to put it is, I use a text-mode editor when I mean business, and a GUI editor when I'm crafting art (scripting, programming without an IDE, hand-coding SVGs, cleaning up mp3 playlists, etc).  Two different mentalities, two different tools.

vi-emacs-notepad.jpg

Tuxman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2014, 06:22 AM »
Geany?  ;D

I talked to a Linux freshman once. He complained that geany doesn't work on his ssh.  :huh:

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2014, 12:22 AM »
It wouldn't, unless he did X session forwarding over SSH.  Geany is graphical, so you'd either do that or VNC.  You want text editing in a SSH session?  That's what vim/emacs/pico/nano/ed are for.  Maybe that was the point; he's a freshman, so he wouldn't know.  :-[

Cuffy

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2014, 05:09 PM »
I installed it. It works!
There ain't no Delete button on the tool bar!
For a two-fingered it ain't!

That's not why I called.
If the amount of information flowing, in all media, is any indication, the world will survive without another text editor.
A web page may run to 125kb and deliver a whopping 5 or 6kb of useable information.

So, the real reason I called.
With your talent and experience, I would suggest that your time would be better spent developing a tool to reduce that 125kb byte count back to 5 or 6kb.
I realize, of course, that the 125kb is necessary because there are many people to be paid and that pay is generated by that extra 120kb.
BUT, once I've read the page, subscribed to several sites, a couple of newsletters and purchased a tube of wrinkle remover, that extra 120kb has done it's job. And, I want to save the page! Tutorials are nice! Any information of enlightenment about the registry I rathole too. Now, my question is???
To save a 5 or 6kb tutorial to disk, must I also save that 120kb of glitzey, flashing, glowing, and sometimes offense, material?
I say not!
And then think about the cloud. Ninety percent of the material going to the various cloud storage facilities is wasting space.
Does the cloud have infinite stage available? And the time to retrieve stuff from the cloud that's 90% worthless. :huh:

In lieu of inserting ads, etc., in web pages that will self destruct upon download, I'm suggesting that you, yes you, develop a reverse engineering tool! A reverse editor? Take out everything meant for FB, Twitter, and all the others and the CSS, .js, and php stuff. Meta data gotta go too!
A selective tool...... highlight a meta data insertion and allow me to delete it. Jump to the next insertion, another choice, jump again. Finished with meta data, move to javascript.... same drill. php start at the top and use the same drill. Always a choice to delete left to the user.
Seems like a piece of cake to me but you have to remember, I don't know nothing and it's taken years to prove it! :D

There's no hurry. It's the weekend. Wait until tomorrow to start!
 ;D 8)

(Please don't thank me, it was nothing!)
 :Thmbsup:

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2014, 03:28 PM »
With your talent and experience, I would suggest that your time would be better spent developing a tool to reduce that 125kb byte count back to 5 or 6kb.
Edlin

Cuffy

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2014, 04:21 PM »
You scoff but I wrote some of the finest batch files I ever wrote on Edlin! :D

and, it's not well known, but Finnegan reported the biggest train derailment ever using Edlin.
Off again...
On again...
Gone again...
Finnegan

Edlin was simple and effective.
It was a vast improvement over the leaky, ballpoint pen, that many of had to endure.
 :P