ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Diamond Editor, multi-platform successor to Crimson Editor

<< < (2/5) > >>

MilesAhead:
Have you looked at Vim?  I thought it was a Windows port of vi but apparently it is multiplatform

]portability

Vi is only available on Unix. Vim works on MS-Windows, Macintosh, Amiga, OS/2, VMS, QNX and other systems. And also on every Unix system.
--- End quote ---

Tuxman:
Have you looked at Vim?  I thought it was a Windows port of vi but apparently it is multiplatform-MilesAhead (July 29, 2014, 05:34 AM)
--- End quote ---

Actually it started as an Amiga port.

I just want one text editor that is more than a notepad, and less than an IDE.  -Edvard (July 29, 2014, 01:16 AM)
--- End quote ---

+1 for Vim then.

Edvard:
+1 for Vim then.
--- End quote ---
No.
If I wanted suggestions for a text-mode editor, I already have it in Nano.  Vim and Emacs both drive me nuts.  Vim more.  I'm talking about a nice graphical text editor with bookmarking, regex search, column edit mode, and some other things I miss from the above-mentioned windows editors.  I'm told that Kate does all I need, but !@#$%&* if I'm going to download over half of KDE just to run the flippin' editor.

Anyways, the Diamond binary ran here, looks ok, but Crimson Editor it ain't (yet).  I'll keep an eye on it.

Tuxman:
I'm talking about a nice graphical text editor with bookmarking, regex search, column edit mode, and some other things I miss from the above-mentioned windows editors.-Edvard (July 30, 2014, 12:17 AM)
--- End quote ---

... which is what Vim provides.

Jibz:
The thing with Vim is that it requires you are willing to spend the time and effort to learn to work entirely differently than you are used to. It may be able to do most anything you need, but actually doing it may be pretty hard until you spend the time learning how (which can be said about all editors, but in Vims case there is more learning involved).

I would try installing Sublime Text 3 if I were you. The trial does not have a time limit, all you get is a popup every now and then when saving. It works just the same on Linux as it does on Windows, and it is a very good text editor.

I probably wouldn't buy it though, before you feel confident development is still ongoing.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version