ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Kidney stones and Beer!

<< < (2/3) > >>

Edvard:
Hehe, whatever floats your boat...  :-[

As far as the spinach goes, it's only really applicable if you like and eat spinach a lot, or are susceptible to kidney stones (once you get one, your probability goes WAAAY up for another one).  I actually enjoy spinach, and it really is good for you otherwise.  The reason my doctor told me to avoid it is because spinach is naturally high in Oxalates, and most (90% or so) kidney stones are Calcium Oxalate.  He told me other foods have higher than average Oxalates, but spinach leads the curve by a large margin.  See here:
http://www.webmd.com/kidney-stones/tc/foods-high-in-oxylate-topic-overview
Notice how spinach is mentioned twice?  And he told me nothing about beer...

So, as long as your doctor thinks you're hydrated fine, then she's not likely to have you drop the spinach, but whatever you do, drink as much water as anything else, and you'll probably be fine; spinach, beer, and all...  ;D

app103:
If you have had kidney stones and want to prevent getting stones again, here is some good advice:

* Increase fluids (if beer helps you do that, then mission accomplished),
* Decrease sodium intake (Sodium causes the kidneys to excrete more calcium into the urine. High concentrations of calcium in the urine combine with oxalate and phosphorus to form stones. Reducing sodium intake is preferred to reducing calcium intake.),
* Increase calcium intake (Calcium in the digestive tract binds to oxalate from food and keeps it from entering the blood, and then the urinary tract, where it can form stones) But get it from food, rather than supplements, since calcium supplements have been linked to increased risk of kidney stones.
* Do not consume excessive amounts of protein. (A diet rich in purines—substances found in animal protein such as meats, fish, and shellfish—may increase uric acid in urine. If uric acid becomes concentrated in the urine, it can settle and form a stone by itself or along with calcium.)
If the issue is calcium oxalate stones, these 9 foods are the only ones known to increase oxalate in the urine:

* beets
* spinach
* rhubarb
* strawberries
* nuts
* chocolate
* tea
* wheat bran
* and all dry beans (fresh, canned, or cooked), excluding lima and green beans.
Try not consuming any of those without some dairy at the same time (ex: creamed spinach, milk in your tea, strawberries & yogurt, beans & cheese, etc.).

Some studies suggest citrus drinks like lemonade and orange juice protect against kidney stones because they contain citrate, which stops crystals from growing into stones. It's better to get your vitamin C from citrus than in a pill, since too much vitamin C (ascorbic acid) can also increase the amount of oxalate in your urine, increasing the risk of kidney stone formation.

Additionally,

* Struvite stones result from kidney infections. Eliminating infected stones from the urinary tract and staying infection-free can prevent more struvite stones.
* Cystine stones result from a genetic disorder that causes cystine to leak through the kidneys and into the urine, forming crystals that tend to accumulate into stones. Not sure if you can do anything to prevent this, if you have this disorder, other than increasing your fluids and making sure that includes citrus beverages.
http://kidney.niddk.nih.gov/Kudiseases/pubs/kidneystonediet/index.aspx
http://my.clevelandclinic.org/urology-kidney/diseases-conditions/kidney-stones-oxalate-controlled-diet.aspx

Renegade:
"On the other hand, people who reported drinking beer and wine frequently had a 41 percent and 33 percent lower risk of developing stones respectively than people who did not consume the alcoholic beverages."-Cuffy (July 26, 2014, 02:54 PM)
--- End quote ---

Shit, in that case I'll never get one. :beerchug:
-Stoic Joker (July 26, 2014, 04:19 PM)
--- End quote ---

Make that one more!  :beerchug:

Hic!

In this lifetime or the next! :P

Actually, I think I've probably had enough to drink for a few lifetimes already... 8)

Cuffy:
We all appreciate what you guys are doing in an effort to stamp out kidney stones? Thanks again ;D

Kidney stones?
I don't have, nor have I ever had, to my knowledge, any stones.

I saw in the newsletter "pingpong ball size".....
friend in the past........ passing a couple of pingball balls??
hey wot!
it'll take C-4
led to Google.....
led to beer...
led to resident brewmasters...
they are happy to read the numbers...Kidney stones are on the way out!
end of story.
Sorry if I misled anyone.....hard to wrap my head around passing a couple of pingpong balls

:(

Edvard:
hard to wrap my head around passing a couple of pingpong balls
--- End quote ---
You wouldn't.  Stones of that size are VERY uncommon and would require surgery.  The ureter from your kidney to your bladder is quite small, as in really, really tiny.  Which is why my own 2.1mm stone made me feel like I was passing a horse.  Once it gets into your bladder, small stones pass easily the rest of the way.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version