ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Weird Router Issue Hoping someone has seen before

<< < (3/3)

40hz:

Either way, Can anyone see a reason to NOT disable WiFi when you have a Better Wired connection?  Wired in our office is always 1GB,  WiFi may be getting better but not THAT fast.  Not even AC band.

-questorfla (July 24, 2014, 10:54 PM)
--- End quote ---

I have two basic rules (actually it's more what you'd call call guidelines):

1. Switch when you can - route if you must.

2. Wired if you can - wireless if you must.

To go with #2 - wireless is for mobile client devices. If the device is never going to move around once it's set up... plug a wire into it.

The only reason people use wifi as much as they do is because they don't have a network drop available - or they don't want to pay to install one. It's just a cheap and easy way out of pulling wire. With the end result that a lot of employees are working with lousy connectivity and losing productivity despite the fact the people they're working for have a big fat internet connection  and a GB speed switch that sits at 80-90% idle because everything in the company is accessing the network through one or two cheapo access points.
 :-\

Stoic Joker:
For the record, 40HZ, maybe I can one-up your #4.  We had people who, when the office CABLE IP went down, they would whip out their cellphone and connect their WiFi to IT.  But leave their WIRED connection plugged in TOO!
-questorfla (July 24, 2014, 10:54 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yep. One up me it did. (That's pretty awesome btw!) And the proof it never happened to a network I was responsible for is: I'm not in jail right now for clubbing the person who did it to death with their cellphone. ;D
-40hz (July 25, 2014, 10:53 AM)
--- End quote ---
:D :-* :Thmbsup:

Stoic Joker:
agreed on that but then WHY do the Mfrs. make them that way?-questorfla (July 25, 2014, 09:45 AM)
--- End quote ---

Because people keep buying them..?

It generally works fine for short term usage, but if left too long - and the time varies - it go boom. Some of the machines here have remote access. An they're the ones that fail when an outside user tries to connect ... Gateway goes Ping-Pong Poof!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version