topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Monday March 18, 2024, 10:24 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: add filter row like ditto or ethervane  (Read 6382 times)

RichTWebGuy

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
add filter row like ditto or ethervane
« on: July 22, 2014, 09:34 PM »
For me, CHS, even with all the great features, just isn't usable -- without a filter row on the popup. This allows me to quickly select from previous clips that match the filter. 

for reference:
http://ditto-cp.sourceforge.net/
http://www.tranglos.com/echo/

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: add filter row like ditto or ethervane
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2014, 09:45 PM »
If you hit Ctrl+Alt+w (default hotkey to show main CHS window), and then start typing, it will start filtering results.
I've considered adding one to the quick paste popup but it just seemed to me that when you need to filter a large number of results, you might as well do it from the main window?

If I did add one to the quick paste menu, can you suggest what the workflow would be? Right now you bring up the quick paste and then can hit a letter or number to paste that item.. How would we want user to be able to type in the filter and then select the result they want?

RichTWebGuy

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2014, 07:08 AM »
In ethervane, after I type a few chars, the one I want usually ends up at the top and an "enter" will paste it it.  If more than one result remains after filtering, and the one you want isn't at the top, a double-click on the desired one will paste it in.  CHS seems to paste with a single-click -- even better.  Either way, the popup is dismissed after the paste.

I really like the filter row concept.  The other two apps I mentioned just haven't been as solid as CHS for me (after a while DB gets corrupted, ...)

Thanks for considering this.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2014, 07:15 AM »
In ethervane, after I type a few chars, the one I want usually ends up at the top and an "enter" will paste it it.  If more than one result remains after filtering, and the one you want isn't at the top, a double-click on the desired one will paste it in.

Ok but then are you saying that the current workflow: "Trigger menu with hotkey, press # for item to paste."  is no longer viable for people? Instead it's: "Trigger menu with hotkey, then use mouse to double click the item you want?"

In other words, I'm asking if you envision this new filtering thing will mess with the way the quick paste popup menu can now be used quickly?

----

What about something like:  Hotkey to bring up quick paste menu as it currently is, but if you hit Ctrl+F you get a search bar that lets you filter?

RichTWebGuy

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2014, 07:35 AM »
You are saying when the 'quick paste popup' appears and I type a char, you won't know whether it's meant to select a row or be the first char into the filter/search box?

You are absolutely correct - those are 2 different workflows.  And you don't want to break the existing workflow.  I've never been in the habit of using the number of selecting clipboard item. 

Would this work?  Add an option to designate what gets focus when the popup appears. 1. the list or 2. the new search input box. If #1 was the default, that would maintain the current workflow.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2014, 08:02 AM »
Would it be better to have a different hotkey that brought up a different small dialog window designed for quickly filtering and pasting, and keep the quick-paste menu the way it is?

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2014, 08:28 AM »
I'd love to see this implemented somehow, but yeah, how...

#1) a searchbox added to the quickpaste list would have this advantage:
if unsure if a clip still on the quickpaste list, open that, if it's not there, then Ctrl+F and search.

#2) OTOH, "a different hotkey that brought up a different small dialog window designed for quickly filtering and pasting" could work like FARR using the F keys or Ctrl+[number] to select/use a clip.
The initial dialogue could (maybe) list the current quickpaste list (?)

^ that (#2) does sound very nice to me...
Tom

RichTWebGuy

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2014, 09:17 AM »
@mouser, the 'different small dialog window' would work. 

If I was going to suggest a workflow, it would be:
- hit a hotkey
- dialog appears with a list of the 10 most recent clips
- select one by clicking on it
- or type a few chars to filter and get a different (filtered) list of 10.  Ideally, I could just start typing to filter (not have to hit ctrl-f or click in an input box to give it focus)

Whatever's the easiest way for you to do that (or least impact way for other users) is fine with me.

And thanks for discussing this.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2014, 09:59 AM »
Ideally, I could just start typing to filter (not have to hit ctrl-f or click in an input box to give it focus)

right -- well that's one benefit of using a separate dialog -- it would open and have focus in search box right away.