topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 5:10 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Can't work out how to get more than 4 suggestions  (Read 5158 times)

beethoven

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Can't work out how to get more than 4 suggestions
« on: July 22, 2014, 02:16 AM »
Hitting the Pause/Break button brings up my Farr and it always shows 4 links. While these are frequently used files, I would like to see more (10-15). Also, these 4 files all have a score of 100. I have other files that I set to higher scores, why don't they show up? Once I enter something into the blank field, Farr does populate with more and shows also higher scores. Am I misunderstanding what should show up before you type? I played around with the settings under Launch/Search History but don't quite understand how to use History Options / Blank Searches and Ignore History Scores.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Can't work out how to get more than 4 suggestions
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2014, 03:24 AM »
I'm a basic FARR user.
When you open FARR first it will show files/shortcuts that were launched via FARR. If it's newly installed it will only show a couple, but this does sound different...

Have a look at display settings - see the mouse point in below screenshot:

Screenshot - 2014-07-22 , 10_20_35.pngCan't work out how to get more than 4 suggestions

that might help (?)

PS the 'score' varies according to what you're searching for - as I type e.g. p a l e - Pale Moon gets a higher score after each letter typed.
If the entry field is empty, all listed are @ 100
Tom

beethoven

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2014, 03:50 AM »
tomos,

thanks for your help.  My settings under Display Options is more or less the same as yours (Farr1) - I think History Options is the issue (Farr2) . My aim is to have more than 4 files show when I bring Farr to the foreground (Farr 3).

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2014, 04:19 AM »
Are you sure you have more than 4 items in your launch history?
Check the "Launch History" tab in options, near bottom.

beethoven

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2014, 06:25 AM »
Mouser,
you are correct of course (and why wouldn't you as this is your baby  :Thmbsup:) - the 4 files/programs from the screenshot show up plus another four programs that I must have unticked a long time ago because I don't want them to clutter the view.
However, why are other searches that resulted in files being clicked/chosen not added to these 4?

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2014, 06:36 AM »
why are other searches that resulted in files being clicked/chosen not added to these 4?
they certainly should be.

however, there are cases where they wouldn't be.  there is a setting to disable adding new items to the launch history you may have enabled, or if they are items on a network drive there is an option to not add those.
also note that non-file items are not added to the launch history list.

beethoven

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2014, 07:41 PM »
hmmm, just did some more testing and now I have 5 files there, so 1 of the the new files "stuck". I also opened "pattern scoring" and notice that 2 files I regularly use are listed there with high scores. Would a record in here prevent them from showing up in the initial blank search?
This would indicate that giving a high score to a file or search means that once I start typing it will show up more quickly but before doing any typing it will not be considered as an option?