ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Finished Programs

DONE: Easy Script to move all loose files in a folder into it's alphabetic subfolder

<< < (2/2)

rjbull:
Wish there as a rule I could enforce on a folder that would not allow any files (OR additional folders for that matter) to be added at the top level.  This would force the users to put them in the alphabetic sub-directories they belong in so I would not have to clean up after them.
While "wishing" the next thing would be a way to PREVENT certain people with "sticky fingers" from accidentally dragging one or more of the subdirectories down to the next level inside another subdirectory-questorfla (July 03, 2014, 02:44 AM)
--- End quote ---
Can you change read/write permissions on the folders, or get your sysadmin to do it for you?  I'm wondering if it would help to partially invert the logic.  That is, force  all users to write into the top-level or another holding folder, by giving them write permissions to that one only, with read-only permissions to the alphabetized folders inside.  Then, keep running your script as before on a schedule or via File Notify.  That way, everyone only need remember a single target location, the only one they can write to anyway, and the script moves the files into their correct destinations automatically.

4wd:
Can you change read/write permissions on the folders, or get your sysadmin to do it for you?  I'm wondering if it would help to partially invert the logic.  That is, force  all users to write into the top-level or another holding folder, by giving them write permissions to that one only, with read-only permissions to the alphabetized folders inside.  Then, keep running your script as before on a schedule or via File Notify.  That way, everyone only need remember a single target location, the only one they can write to anyway, and the script moves the files into their correct destinations automatically.-rjbull (July 04, 2014, 04:30 PM)
--- End quote ---

+1  Requires no simulated thought on the part of the users :)

rjbull:
Can you change read/write permissions on the folders, or get your sysadmin to do it for you?  [...]-rjbull (July 04, 2014, 04:30 PM)
--- End quote ---

+1  Requires no simulated thought on the part of the users :)
-4wd (July 05, 2014, 05:51 AM)
--- End quote ---
Also prevent them from drag-and-dropping subfolders into the wrong places, and send a subtle hint that they should listen when asked to put the files in the right alphabetic slots  :)

questorfla:
 :Thmbsup: :D
Yep Perfect, 
The sad thing is even i I tell these people
..... in those exact words that I did this to avoid even  simulated thought on their part.....

They would take that as a Compliment!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version