topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 4:11 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Homebrewing  (Read 34596 times)

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Homebrewing
« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2014, 03:27 PM »
it's like drinking warm piss. Oh... got a story about that, but, maybe later.

You got a story about drinking warm piss?!? O_o ...Was this during a trip to Brazil by chance??

I soooooo do not want to hear this story! :P
I agree with 40.  Gross.

Ren, PM me the story please.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2014, 03:23 AM »
You got a story about drinking warm piss?!? O_o ...Was this during a trip to Brazil by chance??

Nope. Just an average weekend in Canada. :P

I soooooo do not want to hear this story! :P

Oh, you know you do! :P

Ren, PM me the story please.

Hahaha! I'll post it in a spoiler later when I have a chance.

But... what I came here for...

I used this yeast for my ginger ale batch (E1118):

http://www.lalvinyeast.com/strains.asp

I also used some natural honey, dark brown sugar, and regular sugar. Lots of lemon as well - 5 lemons total. 250 g of ginger finely pureed (not liquified). Total volume was about 7 L.

Today I measured the alcohol and it was clocking in around 7~10%, which is lots. I also had a tiny taste...

But first... the commercial ginger beer/ale I bought the other day:

http://www.ratebeer....ger-beer-ale/260694/

Super sweet. It's drinkable though. Not a huge amount of flavour. Typical commercial mass market stuff.

I was pretty much blown away by the small sample I had. It was beautiful. I'm now wondering what the finished product will be like. The only thing is that I may have made it a bit sweeter than I'd anticipated -- my last batches were VERY dry. But, so far so good.

They're capped now, and just waiting to carbonate for a couple days or so.
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker
« Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 03:32 AM by Renegade »

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2014, 10:28 AM »
The "Piss" Story

Names are changed to protect the guilty! :P

Once upon a time, way back in high school, we used to drink a lot, smoke a lot of drugs, and play a lot of RPGs (Role Playing Game)...

One weekend over at Clive's house (his parents were away), we're set up and playing an RPG (I think it was Advanced Dungeons & Dragons, but it might have been Rifts or something else). Of course, this is before the weekend debauchery of booze & drugs.

Alex shows up at the house with a case of beer...

Now, a few of the guys didn't particularly like Alex all that much. He was one of those guys that was scrawny and took to steroids to bulk up, and some of the guys thought that was lame. I never particularly cared much.

Clive was adamant that nobody could smoke pot at the house. Solution? Simple. Walk down the street to the woods in the park nearby.

So Alex and a couple other guys leave for the park...

I'm the Games Master, so I'm not leaving. Besides, I'm a fucking wreck when I'm high. Just useless. So, needless to say, I'm running the game while Alex & co. are absent.

Now, Brad & a couple of the boys get the idea that some free beer (that Alex brought) would be a good idea!

Several bottles of beer are opened (twist tops - Alex had bad taste in beer then - IIRC it was Budweiser) and begin drinking. I didn't drink it because it was warm & shitty beer anyways.

Then Brad gets the idea that it would be an even better idea to conceal that a few of the boys had had some of Alex's beer...

And to piss in the bottles.

But, beer is required to be in bottles to taste like beer.

Now, not everyone there can piss all that much, so some bottles need to be a combination of beer & tap water instead of just beer & piss.

Brad is meticulous. Very meticulous. He caps the bottles and carefully puts them back in the case where he knows what they are...

A while later, Alex & some of the boys are back from the park.

Alex decides to crack open a beer...

The case is sitting right next to Brad, who naturally keeps his eye on what beer is chosen.

Alex takes a swig of beer...

"What the fuck? This tastes like piss! What the fuck are you assholes doing? Here Darren, taste this!"

Alex hands a bottle over to Darren, who nervously looks over to Brad who signals Darren that it's ok.

Darren says 'sure' and takes a gulp. "Tastes fine to me." (The bottle was watered down.)

Brad takes the bottle, takes a drink, and verifies Darren's assessment.

Alex is skeptical, and takes another bottle of beer out of the case...

He takes one of the bottles that's half piss...

Cracks it open...

Takes a swig...

Loudly exclaims...

"Now that's a beer!"

We had enough self control to save the laughter for later. But man... that was one of the funniest things.

Water tastes like piss, and piss tastes like beer... cripes...

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2014, 10:57 AM »
Some fun beer commercials:

What do you mean I can't drink it? :)

Damn rules! :P

Homebrew is still leagues better than that stuff.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2014, 09:37 AM »
Well, some more lessons learned...

I need to filter my syrup more. I don't mind sediment, but I got way too much particulate matter in this batch of ginger ale. Like, nearly lemonade with pulp.

I've also concluded that I should probably simmer the syrup a bit more.

I think much finer filters are needed coffee filters.

Also, I need to be more patient in letting it ferment. I opened some 2, 4 days after starting, and that's not long enough.

Also, probably a bit less lemon. I used 5 in this batch. It's good - no mistake about that, but it's more like ginger-lemonade with too much lemon. Just a matter of taste there... which brings me to...

So many more ideas! Just mash up some strawberries and go wild! :) It's just flavour anyways. It's the yeast & sugar that give it the alcohol & fizz. So, that overdose on lemon has me thinking in a much broader sense now.

And, knowing how to properly open a super-mega-fizzy bottle is a learned skill. I tried a few ways, and have now settled on a solid method that works for explosively wild fizziness. :D

One last thing... Using a fermenter is way better than just doing it in bottles.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: August 12, 2014, 09:50 AM »
And, knowing how to properly open a super-mega-fizzy bottle is a learned skill. I tried a few ways, and have now settled on a solid method that works for explosively wild fizziness. :D
you want to be careful you dont have exploding bottles :o

One last thing... Using a fermenter is way better than just doing it in bottles.

no understand -
you mean instead of 'bottle-conditioned'? does a 'fermenter' make it like in a barrel?

Ren's Draught Ginger Ale :)
Tom

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: August 12, 2014, 10:34 AM »
you want to be careful you dont have exploding bottles :o

I've got good strong bottles.

And I have a lot of faith in them... Especially after opening a few and seeing the pressure first hand... Holy mother... They sound like a high-caliber rifle.

no understand -
you mean instead of 'bottle-conditioned'? does a 'fermenter' make it like in a barrel?

Ren's Draught Ginger Ale :)

Oh, for the ginger ale (or really with this batch, lemonade-ginger ale), I fermented them in the bottle then capped them.

A fermenter is just a glorified barrel. They're better to work with.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: August 12, 2014, 12:15 PM »
Even without the alcohol, soft-carbonated (and preferably unsweetened) lemonade is a treat on a hot day. :-*

Learned about that one from a expat French client of mine. I understand it's big on the Continent.

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #33 on: August 12, 2014, 05:46 PM »
Even without the alcohol, soft-carbonated (and preferably unsweetened) lemonade is a treat on a hot day. :-*

Learned about that one from a expat French client of mine. I understand it's big on the Continent.
Interesting...never tried it sugarless.  Any recommendations on brands?

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #34 on: August 13, 2014, 07:28 AM »

It's got me thinking more about what I can do. e.g. what would this be like?

500 g Strawberries (or any fruit combo)
350 g Dark brown sugar (a heavier flavour)
150 g Organic/natural/unfiltered/lightly filtered honey (gives a more complex flavour)
Champagne yeast (half package or so)

That'd be enough for 5~10 L of beverage.

Living in SE Asia... man... that was great... I'm a fruit juice freak. I love it. When I went out to eat I'd order 4 to start. Starfruit, mango, watermelon, lime juice... so many to choose!

But basically, just sugar + yeast + flavour. Done. The only trick is figuring out a good mix.

I'm really enjoying this bottle of lemon-ginger ale.

I experimented on this batch a lot with timing, and have figured out a fair bit.

And managed to start dipping into the raw batch of beer I've got brewing... man... warm raw beer is pretty damn fine. Try warm Bud. :P Hint: You can't tell the difference between warm Bud & piss! :P

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #35 on: August 13, 2014, 08:52 AM »
Have you ever tried drinking shandy? It's a mixture of beer and lemonade. Very refreshing drink, and reduced alcohol content too - e.g., if mixed 50-50.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #36 on: August 13, 2014, 11:20 AM »
Have you ever tried drinking shandy? It's a mixture of beer and lemonade. Very refreshing drink, and reduced alcohol content too - e.g., if mixed 50-50.

Heh! In Korea we used to drink a lemon beer mixed 50-50 with beer. Even better! ;D

Cuffy

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #37 on: August 16, 2014, 12:32 AM »
Hey you guys.

I get a newsletter, Free Kindle Books, and occasionally they list titles about making things of an alcoholic temperament.
Do you use written material in your endeavors or are you true pioneers, bare-knuckle, man to man, toe to toe beer makers that don't need no freaking books?   :huh:
It's an email newsletter and a list containing a recipe for brew might be rare  :huh:

I've got the freebie, Kindle for PC, and Amazon sends anything I order right to my Amazon account. ...all free  :o

I'll be glad to post it, refer it, whatever, if anyone is interested.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #38 on: August 16, 2014, 12:54 AM »
Hey you guys.

I get a newsletter, Free Kindle Books, and occasionally they list titles about making things of an alcoholic temperament.
Do you use written material in your endeavors or are you true pioneers, bare-knuckle, man to man, toe to toe beer makers that don't need no freaking books?   :huh:
It's an email newsletter and a list containing a recipe for brew might be rare  :huh:

I've got the freebie, Kindle for PC, and Amazon sends anything I order right to my Amazon account. ...all free  :o

I'll be glad to post it, refer it, whatever, if anyone is interested.

Free you say? ;D

I was just reading more about brewing. I just finished bottling a Chimay Blue batch, and was looking to start something new in the fermenter. Kind of hoping that I can make it over to the brew store to pick up some malt extract & supplies if I can figure out what I want to brew in time.

So, heck yeah! Post it!  :Thmbsup: :Thmbsup: :Thmbsup:

Cuffy

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #39 on: August 16, 2014, 09:21 AM »
Apple, Nook, Kobo, Google Free Book & Deals Emails
Sign Up for Free Books & Deals (Various Stores): Apple iBooks Deals & Free, Nook Free Books & Deals, Google Free Books, Kobo Free Books, Kindle Fire Apps & Deals, Kindle UK Free Books.
Please Note: Significant overlap between different stores (lots of free books & deals are the same). Good to use multiple lists if you have an iPhone or iPad or Android.

Don't get all excited and spill your beer..... :P

http://forms.aweber....orm/69/554748169.htm

This is a daily list to scroll through and your search may be in vain  :huh:

http://forms.aweber....orm/69/554748169.htm

I get the Kindle How-To list. Romance novels, etc., hold no interest for me. The How-To list is where I spotted the beer recipes before so that may be the one you want?? I'm not sure because I don't know what's on the other lists  :huh:
I have a Kindle account at Amazon. Check the format that you use............ it appears they are all available   :D

CAVEAT: All these free book lists are a give away of the day type of program and if you read the list a day late it may have a price posted when it comes up in Amazon. Don't blindly click buy! If you miss the free one, don't worry..... books are like buses.
Miss one and there will be another along in a few days  ;D

In the meantime, I'll scroll through back mail to see if I can find a recipe that will get you through the day  ;)

Cuffy

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #40 on: August 16, 2014, 09:38 AM »
Here's an old listing.......... it's now $2.99 at Amazon  :(

*The Ultimate Guide To Wine: Everything About Wine, Making Delicious Wine, Selecting Best Wine (Winning Image, Life Purpose, Binge Eating) by George K.. Price: Free. Genre: Wine Tasting, Homebrewing, Distilling & Wine Making, Wine, Health, Fitness & Dieting, Cookbooks, Food & Wine, Education & Reference, Spirits, Nonfiction, Reference. Rated: 4.8 stars on 5 Reviews. 28 pages. ASIN: B00LR68GRK.

I'm still looking................................................

Cuffy

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #41 on: August 16, 2014, 11:51 AM »
Here's a free one right now but it may have a price tomorrow  :(

Homebrew Beer: How to brew beer the right way the first time and experience tantalizing tastes from unique beer making ingredients (Fermentation Series Book 1) [Kindle Edition]
Eric Andrews (Author), Joyce Zborower (Editor) 
 4.9 out of 5 stars  See all reviews (8 customer reviews)

Digital List Price:  $2.99 What's this?     
Kindle Price:   $0.00   
You Save:   $2.99 (100%) 

The above is a link in the list and it takes you directly to Amazon where you click once to buy. FREE!!!
Get an account.........
Check the price.......
Click once for free purchase........ :D

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #42 on: August 16, 2014, 12:10 PM »
Here's a free one right now but it may have a price tomorrow  :(

Homebrew Beer: How to brew beer the right way the first time and experience tantalizing tastes from unique beer making ingredients (Fermentation Series Book 1) [Kindle Edition]
Eric Andrews (Author), Joyce Zborower (Editor) 
 4.9 out of 5 stars  See all reviews (8 customer reviews)

Digital List Price:  $2.99 What's this?     
Kindle Price:   $0.00   
You Save:   $2.99 (100%) 

The above is a link in the list and it takes you directly to Amazon where you click once to buy. FREE!!!
Get an account.........
Check the price.......
Click once for free purchase........ :D

Sigh... I'm bowing out there. I did sign up and create an account, etc. etc.

But I have to install Kindle and can't just download the file to use in another viewer. I'm simply not willing to install Kindle. I'm ok with downloading a file, but... not Kindle itself. Oh well.

Thanks anyways. I do appreciate it.

I'm making some more ginger ale tomorrow! :D

Cuffy

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #43 on: August 16, 2014, 12:50 PM »
I don't understand your reluctance...... I have an icon for Kindle which opens my Kindle account where I can read the free book I just bought at Amazon. No kindle.exe, etc.............. so it's not hogging space  :huh:
There's other choices there for online ebook readers so maybe you can get the same product through other channels  :huh:

One thing I haven't been able to find, and I miss it so, is a reader that will sit down and read me a bedtime story  :(

and no Ginger Ale, thanks. :(
I opened a bottle of it as a kid............. it started to foam............ I stuck it in my mouth............. it came out my nose............end of story  :-[
I haven't tasted Ginger Ale since 1946 and it's not on my To-Do list  :D

Cuffy

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #44 on: August 16, 2014, 01:45 PM »
Just checking,
I have Kindle, Nook and Kobo e-readers for the PC. They all seem to operate in pretty much the MO  :huh:

Do you have an aversion to Kindle itself or PC readers in General?  :huh:

I must have 1000 books listed in these accounts, all freebies, classics, how-tos, historical............ one of these days I'm going to read one  :D

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #45 on: August 16, 2014, 04:42 PM »

Interesting...never tried it sugarless.  Any recommendations on brands?

The one I had was made by a French company and marketed under the Lorina label.

Since it's the only brand I ever tried, I don't know of I'd call this a recommendation. But it was awfully good. :-*

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #46 on: August 16, 2014, 10:43 PM »
I don't understand your reluctance......

DOH! I have a VM... It was late last night when I did all that. I'll just fire up the VM. :)

Do you have an aversion to Kindle itself or PC readers in General?  :huh:

I have an extreme aversion to any software capable of accessing the network that is created by a large company or a company capable of partnering with a Big Data company.

off-topic about software - just me complaining
On a side note, I also don't use supermarket loyalty cards. I don't like being tracked. I know that we all are, but I try to minimise it as much as possible.

Also, I utterly LOATHE any software that requires me to login to use it. My reaction to having started a program, then seeing a login (with very, very few exceptions), is "it's broken and doesn't work." I don't care if "if you just create and account and sign in, everything works." Nope. I'm much more stubborn than that. If it requires a login, it's broken and doesn't work -- by design -- and I don't care whether it crashes or whether it's broken by design -- it's still broken. My forgiveness in this extends to 1 program that I use, which is for my stock trading account.

I'm less averse inside of a VM though.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #47 on: August 17, 2014, 07:14 AM »
I did another batch of ginger ale today.

3 large lemons
750 grams of ginger
250 ml water

Puree the above (a bit at a time). Dump in large pot.

1 L water + (water to get almost full as needed)
2 kg sugar
2 heaped, swirled spoonfuls of honey (1 cheap organic supermarket honey, 1 natural, lightly (if any) filtered organic honey from farmers market - the good stuff with pollen and wonderfulness inside)
500 grams super market malt extract

Boil & simmer for an hour.

Strained into fermenter.

Strained mass and continually rinsed & strained to get all the sugar & flavour.

Topped fermenter to 22 or 23 L total & stirred.

Added essential oils:

~10 drops ginger
~2 drops cinnamon bark
~4 drops lemon (might have let a 5th in)

Stirred thoroughly to mix in oils.

Added champagne yeast & stirred in.

FUNKY COOLNESS

With the "waste" material (strained mass), I boiled that again and strained it to make ginger lemon tea. And wow... was it goooood! I could have done another boiling for more tea, but I was tired & lazy. So, we saved half of the mass to use later.

Waste not, want not.

But that tea could just as easily be poured over ice for a refreshing and invigorating drink.

Also, it's great for colds & flus or just when you're sick. (Ginger and lemon are fantastic anti-virals, etc.)

Now, there's still a good amount of particulate matter in there (the ginger ale), so I'll be filtering it again when I bottle it. My last batch still had too much particulate matter, though it tasted darn good.

Crossing fingers... the essential oils are a real gamble there. They could destroy the entire batch.

Excluding the oils, the cost of the above is about $40 AUD, which is about the cost of a case of the cheapest beer on sale here.

No idea how it will turn out...

I saw some much more complex recipes, but figured I still want to try to stick to fairly basic ingredients until I get a better grip on some of this. And besides... the store was closed and I didn't want to wait for the stars to align for me to have time to get there while it was open. Make hay while the sun shines & all that.

Cuffy

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #48 on: August 17, 2014, 01:12 PM »
I have an extreme aversion to any software capable of accessing the network that is created by a large company or a company capable of partnering with a Big Data company.

I understand your position but I think you're pushing on the end of a wet noodle!  :D

Until you are in a position where you can get to the other end of the noodle where you can pull... go with the flow, and hang on to your end, as uncomfortable as it may be. When I sit down for supper, and chocolate pie for dessert, and momma says "go wash your hands before you can eat" you can bet that I'm on the way to the bathroom  :o

The system is bigger than both of us but it takes two to tango. If we object to and stop tracking then the freebies stop!
I'll take the free books, free software, free deodorants, or anything else that I can use and the donors can follow me around all day if they want. (I'll admit it was tough giving up the porno movies  :-[)

Your VM idea sounded good at the outset but I get all these free newsletters, book lists, freeware lists and deodorant samples streaming in via push technology, so I just go with the flow. Messing around with a VM takes effort and that puts a value on the freebies which I wouldn't pay very much... :huh:

It's a matter of perspective... like the 81 year old talking to his doctor. "Hey doc, I got married since my last visit. Met the cutest little 19 year old blonde I've ever seen. She makes a mean TV dinner and the sex is fabulous. I asked her to marry me and she said yes  ;D
On hearing the word "sex" the doc cocked his head and asked "you're 81, how often are you having sex?", to which the old codger replied "well we been having sex every night but I'm sure the excitement will wear off after a few years"  8)
and a rapid response from the doc, "every night  :o  you realize that could be fatal???"
The old newlywed thought for a moment and then replied "well, if she dies, she dies!"

I think he's on the right end of the noodle  :D
YMMV  ;)

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #49 on: August 17, 2014, 08:03 PM »
Until you are in a position where you can get to the other end of the noodle where you can pull... go with the flow, and hang on to your end, as uncomfortable as it may be. When I sit down for supper, and chocolate pie for dessert, and momma says "go wash your hands before you can eat" you can bet that I'm on the way to the bathroom  :o

The system is bigger than both of us but it takes two to tango. If we object to and stop tracking then the freebies stop!
I'll take the free books, free software, free deodorants, or anything else that I can use and the donors can follow me around all day if they want. (I'll admit it was tough giving up the porno movies  :-[)

Your VM idea sounded good at the outset but I get all these free newsletters, book lists, freeware lists and deodorant samples streaming in via push technology, so I just go with the flow. Messing around with a VM takes effort and that puts a value on the freebies which I wouldn't pay very much... :huh:

I take a different approach. There's enough FLOSS software out there, and enough clean paid for software that I can always find something. For actual content, there's tonnes of it out there. Now, some may not be as good as others, but you can still get decent material. For example, this is just insane:

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f82/

Craziness. So much... You could never get through that in a lifetime.

I'm fine with freebies that use tracking dying up. I'm fine with seeing Gmail and other "free" email die off. I pay for a lot of stuff I use, and there are some free ones that I use as well - but the tracking stuff... the online storage? The cloud storage? The 'keeping my data somewhere out of my control'? Nah. Done with it all. Forever. Period. I've been burned way too badly far too many times. When I control things, everything goes smoothly. When I don't, I have problems - catastrophic problems.