topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Monday March 18, 2024, 9:26 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: IDEA: movable grouped windows  (Read 9196 times)

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
IDEA: movable grouped windows
« on: June 11, 2005, 08:22 AM »
i can well imagine that this has already been done as it seems quite obvious but if not then here goes...

would it be simple to make a little util that allowed you to select a few windows that you have carefully arranged on your screen and then assign them as a group.

the 'group' feature would then allow you to move all these windows simultaneously with each window remaining in it's respective 'group' position.

of course being able to minimise and restore the 'group' of windows would also be helpful.

when using dual monitor displays i think this 'group' feature would be quite handy. well, i'm sick of dragging things around from one place to another and then have to neatly lay them out again.

i'm sure there are plenty more obvious features that could be incorporated but the main thing would be to just keep the way it operated quite simple - just clicking or right clicking to assign windows to groups in some way.

as i said, this seems quite an obvious thing to desire so i wouldn't be surprised if something like this was made years ago.

if anyone knows of anything can they please let me know...

thanks

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: IDEA: movable grouped windows
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2005, 09:33 AM »
i know there are virtual desktop tools that can do this wrt grouping on different virtual desktops..

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2005, 11:57 AM »
i think i know what you mean mouser but i was thinking more along the lines of the windows being dockable or lockable in their respective layout within the group. the group then acts as a single window would allowing you to move the whole lot around the screen.

useless for a group of windows that cover the majority of your screen but i thought it would be handy when you have layed out a few smaller windows that only take up a small area.

the virtual desktop thing is something i never really got into but i know you are a firm believer in it, mouser. i suppose i should stop bleating and just try using the virtual screen method instead.

(i'd still like to know if there is a util that fits the description i was after, though.)

skrommel

• Fastest code in the west
  • Developer
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • 1 Hour Software by skrommel
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2005, 05:48 PM »
 :) I think my WinWarden from https://www.donation...om/Software/Skrommel can accomplish this. Just have the other windows align to the base window, and they will all move.

Skrommel