topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 9:13 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Malwarebytes self-start problem  (Read 26411 times)

Cuffy

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Malwarebytes self-start problem
« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2014, 12:27 AM »
just as an aside to your conversation about failing drives.............
Almost invariably before a drive fails it runs warm to the touch, so that's my first test... feel it... if it's warm I pull it outside the case where I can check it frequently. Shades is right... if it's failing, don't fight it...... drives are too cheap nowadays. I watch the newsletters and always try to have one ahead of the machine!
Pricing drives is a mystery to me and often you can find a $20 difference for the same drive in a matter of days.  :D

bit

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2013
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2014, 12:32 PM »
Rereading this article;
http://lifehacker.com/how-to-short-stroke-your-hard-drive-for-optimal-speed-1598306074
it says;
"Connect the drive you want to short-stroke to your machine as a secondary volume and run HD Tune's Benchmark test. You'll see your hard drive's transfer rate (the blue line) creep down as the test runs.
When the test is complete, look at the graph and find a point where you see a significant drop off in transfer speed. Every hard drive is different, so look at your graph closely to identify your hard drive's sweet spot.
Once you find the sweet spot, that point is the size you want to make your main partition. So, for example, if you see the speed drop off significantly at 100 GB, you'll want to make a 100 GB main partition."

It says nothing about choosing -where- to partition the HD, just -what size- to limit it down to.
That sort of implies to me that one might possibly not even use HD Tune, but just take a very large HD, reduce the size of the partition to say 10%, or with my 750GB made over into 250GB = 33%, and automatically get improved performance, which is similar to what tomos posted, quote:

"I didnt get a chance to read any of those^ links yet, but I remember when 2TB drives came out, reading an article saying that if you made a smallish partition, say 150GB, that the speed of that partition would be a lot faster - the claim was along the lines of: the bigger the drive, the faster that partition would be. But I dont know how multiple platters fit into that."

IOW (to me), 'the bigger the drive, the denser the platter'.
Repartitioning a 1TB or 4TB drive to 200GB just limits the side-to-side movement of the read-write arm, speeding it up.
The 'magic trick' of true 'short stroking' as per the HD Tune article, is to somehow position your downsized partition on the outside of the platter, not the inside.
I'm not sure if HD Tune can do repartitioning, or if it just tells you results done with other software.

HD Tune does tell you overall results, helping you to determine if you've chosen the slower inside tracks or the faster outside tracks.
But how would you be able to intentionally choose the inside or outside of the platter? (plz excuse me if I'm using wrong terminology for 'platter'/HD disk).
I'm oversimplifying this in order to solicit any feedback.

Hmm, one way...just divide up the whole drive into multiple partitions, say 10 of them (10% per partition), then run speed tests on each partition until you find the fastest one.
Then...deactivate the other partitions, and leave the fastest one active as Primary.
That way, -any- speed testing software will tell you which partition is fastest.

BTW, an earlier version of HD Tune v255 at MajorGeeks is now shareware, whereas it is the HD Tune Pro 5-something that is $34.95.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2014, 12:46 PM by bit »

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2014, 01:54 PM »
Hmm, one way...just divide up the whole drive into multiple partitions, say 10 of them (10% per partition), then run speed tests on each partition until you find the fastest one.

You can only create 4 partitions on a hard drive, unless you switch to (old school) logical drives, or (new school) dynamic disk. DD has performance issues (e.g. overhead) of its own...and I've just never trusted the logical drive thing.

bit

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2013
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2014, 08:26 PM »

You can only create 4 partitions on a hard drive, unless you switch to (old school) logical drives, or (new school) dynamic disk. DD has performance issues (e.g. overhead) of its own...and I've just never trusted the logical drive thing.
Yes, I see that.

BTW, EaseUS Partition Master v9.1.1 said there was an update...
Got ready to run the update to v10.
MalwareBytes detected OpenCandy PUP; clicked on quarantine/delete OpenCandy, installed v10.
A Desktop pop-up ad appeared several times to upgrade to 'pro'.
Uninstalled EaseUS PM v10 and ran registry checker...
Ran ADWCleaner to doublecheck for PUPs.
Reinstalled the older EaseUS PM v9.1.1.

Then I used EaseUS Partition Master v9.1.1 to create 4 equal partitions on the 750GB drive.
But then I discovered HD Tune v255 won't benchmark individual partitions, only the entire drive.
I guess I'll convert the 750GB drive back to 2 partitions, the active primary being limited to 181GB and the rest unallocated (the way it was before).

BTW, I tried to run MHDD on the drive, and there were just too many unfamiliar options to know what to choose to check the drive. Sorry.

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: August 06, 2014, 09:20 PM »
That are the options from the hardware that is (literally) driving your hard disk. Get familiar with them, earning hard core geek creds while doing so. You learn a lot about hard disks in general and what to look out for...far better than S.M.A.R.T.

In case you have multiple hard disks, disconnect all but the one you want to test. After booting from the CD/DVD/pendrive you need to press the F1 button and select the drive. There is only one, so you only have the select the appropriate number key and then the F4 button to start the check.

Bad places/blocks are marked and kept in a list. If there are one or two errors, you will have to write down the problem area(s) and with decent partitioning software create new partitions that do not use these problem areas. That way you are most likely to get still some life out of the drive just yet.

But if more errors are found, pull all data from the old HD to a fresh new HD and demolish the old one, use its platters as a chime or coaster and salvage the magnet(s) inside. Maybe you could even find a use for the drive's motor (which is a very precise and high quality step-motor).

Or blend it...because it is really not worth the headache.

The MHDD software can actually much more than just verify the drive...and every option that is not verify will have very serious consequences for the information on the drive. Hence the software warns you in a lot of places and it's website does the same.

Hard core geek creds don't come easy, you know... ;)

bit

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2013
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: August 07, 2014, 12:38 AM »
On the comic relief side, if price is no object and you -really- want to speed up your hard drive....  ;D
HyperOs solid state flash drive
((click at top horizontal menu on 'hardware'))...
....the HyperOs HyperDrive 5 with 8 ram stick slots...

quote...
175MB/s Sustained Read rate.
145MB/s Sustained Write rate.
65,000 IOPS. Hard disks do 200-300 IOPS (File Inputs or Outputs Per Second).
10 microsecond disk access time. Mechanical disks take 5-15 milliseconds.
It finds files 500x faster than the world's fastest mechanical SAS hard disk.
No drivers needed, connects like any other SATA HDD.
Boots Windows XP in 4 seconds
« Last Edit: August 07, 2014, 12:43 AM by bit »

bit

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2013
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: August 07, 2014, 01:15 AM »
I just got another BSOD, this time on my newer Western Digital 250GB 10K rpm drive....and I wasn't even watching any online vids.
I was just switching views between browsers and Desktop.
My Win7Pro is the first OS I ever had that consistently self-recovers and reboots successfully to Desktop.......if I run CCleaner and then 'create restore point' faithfully after every BSOD.
And lately I've been getting them almost on a daily basis.
Seems like these BSODs started sometime about when I began running MalwareBytes, or when I switched to a slightly newer video card....not sure exactly.
I have a whole collection of bootable recovery 'wizard' disks for earlier OSs such as WinXP, Win98, Win95, that -never- worked....
....which is why I keep multiple HDs unplugged with backup copies of the OS.

Cuffy

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: August 07, 2014, 03:20 PM »
Sounds like you have a plausible reason and the test is simple.
Remove malwarebytes and replace it with Superantispyware..........

http://www.superanti...re.com/download.html

I think it was Gizmo that ran comparison tests between these two products and determined that Superantispyware was more effective.

They're both free........... woin't hoit to try! :D

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #33 on: August 07, 2014, 03:44 PM »
They're both free........... woin't hoit to try!

He's got a point there..

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #34 on: August 08, 2014, 01:24 AM »
Seems like these BSODs started sometime about when I began running MalwareBytes, or when I switched to a slightly newer video card....

video card seems the more likely culprit -
but it is easier to replace mwb and see how it goes.
Tom

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #35 on: August 08, 2014, 01:59 AM »
It can also be the power supply not being able (anymore) to supply all the components of sufficient power all the time. You will experience all kinds of vague errors because of that.

bit

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2013
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #36 on: August 10, 2014, 05:49 PM »
Thank you, it's a 650 watt power supply and the only card in any slot is the video card, and it only has one HD actively plugged in.
Switching to the 10K rpm HD helped noticeably.
Uninstalling MWB helped even more.
But I didn't install Superantispyware yet, since the occasional BSOD still happens.

I had an idea though.
I remember seeing an option choice whether to let the computer drop video frames it lags behind in showing, or sort of catching them and playing them in a sort of catch-up process.
I know that's lousy terminology, but that was the general idea.
I recall choosing the option not to drop missed video frames but to do catch-up.
Sometimes the computer screen freezes, then shows the vid frames in fast-forward as it catches up now; and sometimes it just freezes and either crashes or needs a reboot.

If anyone can tell me where this option is, I think if I switch to the option to just drop the missed frames, it might help considerably.
Sorry for the rotten pseudo-terminology.

Cuffy

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #37 on: August 10, 2014, 06:20 PM »
Sounds like you're getting closer?

Have you get Media Streaming turned on in the control panel?
Network and Sharing ???
 :huh:

bit

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2013
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #38 on: August 10, 2014, 06:23 PM »
Sounds like you're getting closer?

Have you get Media Streaming turned on in the control panel?
Network and Sharing ???
Tnx. Sorry, but I don't follow your meaning?

Cuffy

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #39 on: August 10, 2014, 06:38 PM »
Sorry, that's a typo..................

Have you got media streaming enabled? There are some options for media streaming in Network and Sharing Center in Control Panel.

Another question............. you only have one slot filled, your video card. Can you pull the video card and use onboard video??
Someone already mentioned that but if your mobo has onboard video I think now is the hour to see if the video card has a hitch in it's gitalong?

Cuffy

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #40 on: August 10, 2014, 07:16 PM »
I goofed again.............
for some reason I thought you were running  Win8.1.1 so the bit about media streaming options may not apply  :-[

I went back to the beginning of the thread..........
malwarebytes and a change in video cards was when your problem started.

Malwarebytes is gone..........
seems like the video is now prime suspect   :D

bit

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2013
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #41 on: August 10, 2014, 08:20 PM »
I goofed again.............
for some reason I thought you were running  Win8.1.1 so the bit about media streaming options may not apply  :-[

I went back to the beginning of the thread..........
malwarebytes and a change in video cards was when your problem started.

Malwarebytes is gone..........
seems like the video is now prime suspect   :D
One fine day about a month ago I received a spoof email from a relative saying 'click on this', so I did, went to a pointless web page, and thought it might be infected and -not- actually from my relative (turned out, it wasn't).
I ran mwb, which wanted to do shutdown and reboot.
On attempt to reboot, my old video card, an NVIDIA 6800, was DOA (dead), and my box refused to boot; nothing, not even BIOS, big zero.

I had a spare video card from a friend, a newer Nvidia GeForce GTS 450, which my computer never would 'see' before.
At that time, if I had onboard video, I suppose that it should have worked, but I don't recall actually trying to boot with no vid card, and am reluctant to risk it now.
But if there is a way to tell from this, my mobo is an ASUS A8N-SLI Premium, in case anyone can figure out if it has onboard video or not.

In desperation, I tried the GTS 450 again, and now my box 'saw' it, and it's the current vid card I use.
I forget what else I did, but I also took steps to protect my box from any possible virus.

After successfully rebooting to Desktop with the new vid card, I do remember finding an option whether to tell the video software to play 'dropped video frames' (my words) or to skip over them.
I chose to play them, not skip over.
I suspect if I were to find that option, which I can't, and switch to 'skip' dropped frames, it might improve the situation.  :D

BTW, I set up my email client to block further emails from the 'spoof' source.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2014, 08:44 PM by bit »

Cuffy

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #42 on: August 10, 2014, 08:35 PM »
http://www.geforce.com/drivers

Have you already updated the drivers?? :huh:

bit

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2013
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #43 on: August 10, 2014, 08:46 PM »
http://www.geforce.com/drivers

Have you already updated the drivers?? :huh:
Yes, thank you, 'No new drivers are available'.  :D

Cuffy

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #44 on: August 10, 2014, 08:55 PM »
and that Sir,

leaves you on the way to Newegg............. Best Buy........ Home Depot????

I wouldn't waste any more time on that setup.......... you need a new video card.. :Thmbsup:

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #45 on: August 10, 2014, 09:48 PM »
You can find the manual here (it's a .pdf file). Anyway, page 14 confirms there is no on-board video on the MoBo. It is also a rather old one, still uses DIMM RAM (according to page 12).

Come to think of it, I used a very similar one (because of the onboard RAID controller) (I had two of them, one active, one spare), but these boards degraded quick after 2 years of use (24/7). First of all, the nVidia chipset on that board isn't the best one to begin with.

The model I had used a fan for cooling the North/South bridge chip and if that one didn't ran well enough temperature would rise gradually and reboot automatically (overheating protection). So I started swapping just that fan from one board to the other and servicing the fan the came free. Worked for a while, but not really to satisfaction...then the chipset started to "buckle" and lost RAID and all networking facilities on both boards.

After 6 years of doing this swap/service thing, both board were dead. I have here still 2 servers and a router PC that are almost 10 years old, still running excellent and very reliable (all Asus K8V-X boards , the cheaper, less advanced model than the A8N).

True soldiers, those boards...and the same is true for their Athlon x64 processors. AMD had a good thing going with that processor.

bit

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2013
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #46 on: August 11, 2014, 08:41 AM »
I have a printed manual for the mobo.
Can't afford anything new -or even used- at this time.
Tnx for everyone's advice.  :D

bit

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2013
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #47 on: August 11, 2014, 03:03 PM »
Does anyone know where the option is, to play or drop missed video frames?

Cuffy

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #48 on: August 11, 2014, 03:49 PM »
There is a place to  turn on Media Streaming in Win7 in the Network and Sharing Center in Control Panel. (In Godmode it's easy to find).

I'm betting the option you're looking for is in the game itself. Setup? Preferences? Options?
I'm not a gamer so I really can't help much... sorry!
 :-[

bit

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2013
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #49 on: August 11, 2014, 05:28 PM »
^tnx.  :D
I confirmed that Media Streaming is on.

I did some research and found this--
frame skip
Maybe 'frame skip' is not a Microsoft or NVidia feature.

My NVidia Control Panel 'adjust image settings with preview' can be set to one of 3 options; Performance, Quality, or in between.
Mine is already set to 'use my preference emphasizing' & 'Performance'.
(update) I just set it to 'let the 3D application decide'.

Here's a Youtube index of 'frame skip' search results.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2014, 05:35 PM by bit »