topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 2:07 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: IDEA: disable all taskbar button flashing  (Read 26217 times)

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
IDEA: disable all taskbar button flashing
« on: May 29, 2006, 04:30 PM »
I like to keep my taskbar hidden...and it is quite large.

When I want to access it, I just move the cursor to the right side of my screen and it pops out.

The problem is flashing taskbar buttons also make it pop out. And it won't go back till I click that button of the program that causes it and make it the active window. I find this one of the most annoying 'features' with XP. I didn't have this problem with 9x.

Messenger clients are the most serious offenders. Someone sends you a message and you get both an audio cue and a flashing taskbar button. I have to stop whatever I am doing, because the taskbar is sticking out halfway across my screen covering everything, and click the button...then 2 seconds later I get another message and this repeats. People that type a series of short 2 word messages make me want to rip my hair out.

I located a plugin for Messenger Plus that took care of the problem in MSN... but GTalk, Yahoo, and AIM are still a problem, as well as any other messenger client I may try in the future.

There is no tweaking program that I have found that can totally disable the flashing. At best you can either make it flash a specified number of times or keep flashing till you click it. The minimum flashing count is 1, setting it to 0 just makes it flash till you click it. Setting it at 1 still makes me have to click the button to get the taskbar to go away.

I was wondering if someone could code something that would intercept the messages that trigger the button flashing for all buttons of all programs and tosses them out, in order to effectively disable the flashing so my taskbar will stop flying out when I don't want to see it.

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: IDEA: disable all taskbar button flashing
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2006, 04:57 PM »
Oh... You've got a giant problem there :S
I can understand what you mean.
I've never seen a program that does what you're requiring, though.
As you mentioned, there are tons of ways for removing the blinking in msnmessenger, but for the other programs, i have no idea.

Still, if you use that much protocols, and have problems with the taskbar blinking, you might want to give a go to miranda, since it supports all protocols (at least the most common ones), and you can configure it to not blink. (Actually, i don't even know how to configure it to do it :P)
I know this is not really a solution, but might help you be aware to some other ways of handling it.

Josh

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2006, 05:00 PM »
http://groups.google...e%23f802b171f6599a7e
Fantastic find, josh!
I have that program, and didn't even know it could do that..LoL

app103

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2006, 05:14 PM »
The problem is the taskbar still flies out across my screen no matter what settings I use with that...and TweakUI was the tweaking program I tried first.

And as far as using an all-in-one client to handle all the protocols, the reason why I don't is because of the features some of the clients I use, have...most of the all-in-one clients don't support the extras, like XM Radio or desktop buttons for my favorite people (I can't live without this especially)...and other little perks.

And even if I used an all-in-one, I'd still have the problem. The only client I don't have the problem with is MSN because the plugin I installed took care of it for that client only.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2006, 05:22 PM by app103 »

skrommel

• Fastest code in the west
  • Developer
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • 1 Hour Software by skrommel
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2006, 01:37 PM »
 :tellme: Have you tried TaskbarActivate at http://home.nordnet.fr/~pmdevigne/programmes_e.html#ActiveTache?

Skrommel

app103

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2006, 11:57 PM »
Ok...I tried the Taskbar Activate program skrommel suggested, and either I am missing something or it didn't work.

Either way I still have the problem.

Maybe I didn't explain the problem right?

Here is a screenshot of my desktop with the taskbar showing...which it only shows when I make it show...or when the taskbar buttons flash for some reason.

http://img354.images...4351/desktop48gh.png

I am trying to make it stop showing automatically when taskbar buttons flash...by disabling the flashing.

A friend of mine pointed me in the direction of what would possibly have to be done, but I don't have the skills needed to make this tool myself...yet...and I don't want to wait till my next OS to fix it. (3-5 yrs?)

If anybody wants to try to make this I will share what he gave me. He gave me a lot of info links and some ideas as how it would have to be done. Something like a .dll to drop into the folders of offending programs that would take care of it.

He can't make it for me himself, as he's not on windows any more.

He said he had started doing some work on a tool like this awhile back. He may even be willing to share what he has done so far with anyone that may want to finish the job.

skrommel

• Developer
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2006, 05:29 PM »
 :) Try FadingTaskbar v1.4!

Remember to delete your old ini-file!

I've added a new Settings tab with an option to hide the taskbar when inactive, and an activation rectangle.

By checking Hide when inactive, setting Activation rectangle X to ScreenWidth-1 and Width to 1, I think it will finally behave!

Also remember to check the Autohide property in Windows' Taskbar properties.

Skrommel

app103

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2006, 08:28 PM »
I am not sure what you did but it totally broke the prog.

Taskbar fading is kind of broken. It doesn't pay attention to a 255 when mouse inside...keeps it at 200.

or the fade-in time is messed up...not changing from faded to solid when active. I had that set at 10 for both in & out

additionally...the new feature...maybe I am missing something but I couldn't get my taskbar back after activating that...even windows key didn't bring it back...just gave me start menu with no taskbar.

Not sure what settings it should be in what box to make it act normal when I hit the side of my screen with my mouse.

tried -1...no good...tried -10...no good

even killing the app in taskmanager didn't bring back my taskbar...had to log off and back on again.

might want to roll back to previous version till you can get this sorted out.

kimmchii

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2006, 09:01 PM »
http://img354.images...4351/desktop48gh.png

your taskbar is huge, would you like to consider using Free Launch Bar or TrueLaunchBar so that you can put all the frequently access applications in a folder, like this:

http://img153.imageshack.us/img153/707/tlb6jr.jpg
If you find a good solution and become attached to it, the solution may become your next problem.
~Robert Anthony

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2006, 01:22 AM »
I am not sure what you did but it totally broke the prog.

Taskbar fading is kind of broken. It doesn't pay attention to a 255 when mouse inside...keeps it at 200.

or the fade-in time is messed up...not changing from faded to solid when active. I had that set at 10 for both in & out

additionally...the new feature...maybe I am missing something but I couldn't get my taskbar back after activating that...even windows key didn't bring it back...just gave me start menu with no taskbar.

Not sure what settings it should be in what box to make it act normal when I hit the side of my screen with my mouse.

tried -1...no good...tried -10...no good

even killing the app in taskmanager didn't bring back my taskbar...had to log off and back on again.

might want to roll back to previous version till you can get this sorted out.

i can confirm i had exactly the same problems  :(

app103

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2006, 02:33 AM »
your taskbar is huge, would you like to consider using Free Launch Bar or TrueLaunchBar so that you can put all the frequently access applications in a folder, like this:

http://img153.imageshack.us/img153/707/tlb6jr.jpg

I like my taskbar just how it is. I have always had a taskbar like this since day 1 of being a Windows user. It's a technique I inherited from my dad. He thinks it's more 'mentally ergonomic' than the default position & style of doing things. I wouldn't have it any other way and I get lost on pc's that don't have it my way.

It's quite organized. And I don't have to open folders to get to my shortcuts...or navagate through my start menu.

What you see is not the normal quicklaunch you usually see on the taskbar in Windows. I closed that.

Each line on my taskbar is a toolbar for a specific type of shortcut. They are all in folders that I add as toolbars. If there are too many on a line there is a tiny bar button that will show a menu for the others, or just slide the seperator bar to see the rest, which is what I prefer doing. There are much more icons there than you see in the screenshot! The most used in each group is on the top line. 

For example...the first toolbar/line you see is all my drives on this pc and a few other related things. Next bar is folders containing the contents of every drive I copied from 2 other computers. Next is system related tools. I have bars related to multimedia, art, communications, programming & web design, games, etc.

Also, the taskbar buttons for open windows are easier to identify when more text is showing on them than you would get with a smaller taskbar. So even if I had no shortcuts at all on it, I would still keep it that size.

I have this on autohide so it's not like this is sticking out like that during normal use. It should only be seen when I make it pop out by hitting the right side of my screen with my mouse. It gives me more screen space to work with when it's hidden.

I hate using the start menu and have even avoided the use of it for shutting down my pc or rebooting on my other computer by having shortcuts to do that job....on my taskbar. And I hate desktop icons...not convienient to have to minimize any windows to see the desktop when I could just move my mouse to the right and accomplish the same thing with my taskbar.

kimmchii

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2006, 04:10 AM »
I have this on autohide so it's not like this is sticking out like that during normal use. It should only be seen when I make it pop out by hitting the right side of my screen with my mouse. It gives me more screen space to work with when it's hidden.

hmm it sounds handy and it's quite a good idea.  :)

the registry key that handle the flash is:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop]
"ForegroundFlashCount"=dword:00000003

have you tried set it to zero or a value to would confuse windows or delete  it see what happens.
If you find a good solution and become attached to it, the solution may become your next problem.
~Robert Anthony

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2006, 05:17 AM »
I think i might have one possible solution: TaskbarEX.
It was mentioned here on DC.

I say this is a solution, because even though it doesn't allow you to disable the flashing, it allows you to take the annoying buttons out. This means that you can place those buttons elsewhere in the screen, and even they do flash, they don't make your taskbar come out anymore.

app103

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2006, 07:34 AM »
I think i might have one possible solution: TaskbarEX.

At first I thought this could be a solution...but then discovered it doesn't work well with IM managers. Moving the button off the taskbar and then switching tabs in the manager results in the taskbar button returning...and still a desktop button too. You could end up with a ton of desktop buttons...one for each person you have in the IM manager...and the taskbar button as soon as you switch tabs in the manager...and it won't let you drag a person more than once off the taskbar.

Still a really cool little proggie though. Might keep it for other reasons/uses.

skrommel

• Developer
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2006, 11:06 AM »
 :tellme: Did you remove the old ini-file before upgrading?

Skrommel

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2006, 02:08 PM »
i think it's time for skrommel to add some technology to not require deleting old ini file  :P

app103

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2006, 04:39 PM »
:tellme: Did you remove the old ini-file before upgrading?

Skrommel

Newer version wasn't even in the same folder as the older one. So it couldn't be a problem with an older .ini file.

app103

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2006, 01:32 PM »
Ok...tried the newer version again...and with the tips skrommel gave here:

https://www.donation...86.msg28929#msg28929

I am mathematically challenged. I can't seem to put the correct combo of settings in the correct boxes. Everything I do is wrong.

The example is for a taskbar on the bottom, and I keep mine on the right side. Can someone please help out here with what to put in the 4 boxes?

:(

kimmchii

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2006, 01:27 AM »
minimize to system tray should do it.

try Minimizer-XP or your other favorite Minimize to Tray freeware/applications, once minimize to tray all of them will stop flashing.

edit: 4t Tray Minimizer Free/Pro 4.27 free! is also very nice, lighter than Minimizer-XP.
~Robert Anthony
« Last Edit: June 24, 2006, 01:38 AM by kimmchii »

app103

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2006, 05:14 PM »

minimize to system tray should do it.

try Minimizer-XP or your other favorite Minimize to Tray freeware/applications, once minimize to tray all of them will stop flashing.

edit: 4t Tray Minimizer Free/Pro 4.27 free! is also very nice, lighter than Minimizer-XP.

Thanks for your idea, but instant messaging programs are minimized to the tray already by default...and they are what causes the problem. So I am not sure minimizing something to tray that is already there would help.

app103

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2006, 05:26 PM »
jgpaiva helped me figure out the math for the settings in FadingTaskbar. (thanks  :Thmbsup:)

When I tested it by turning on flashing in xchat, it seemed to work well. But when a message came in on GTalk, it failed...the taskbar flew out as it always had.  :(

It just doesn't want to work with those pesky messaging clients.

I am starting to get the feeling I am going to be dealing with this annoyance forever...or go back to 9x (not a real option).

kimmchii

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2006, 09:56 PM »
you can go to Gtalk's settings, under notification, disable all.
~Robert Anthony