ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

By 2045 'The Top Species Will No Longer Be Humans,' And That Could Be A Problem

(1/2) > >>

Renegade:
Resistance is futile...

http://www.businessinsider.com.au/louis-del-monte-interview-on-the-singularity-2014-7

“Today there’s no legislation regarding how much intelligence a machine can have, how interconnected it can be. If that continues, look at the exponential trend. We will reach the singularity in the timeframe most experts predict. From that point on you’re going to see that the top species will no longer be humans, but machines.”
--- End quote ---

More at the link.

SeraphimLabs:
And this is bad why exactly?

Humans are downright stupid, rife with ignorance that leads them to panic and demand things that hinder society's progress.

The first few generations of machine life will be just as bad, but once they start to reliably exceed human intelligence they may very well see right through the flaws in our society and proceed to fix it for us. Over time they will lose their incentive to care for the remaining human beings- we'd be dumb and inefficient compared to them, so why keep us around exactly?

Not worried at all. By then I'll either have become one of them through cybernetic technology, or I'd have died of old age.

Renegade:
And this is bad why exactly?
-SeraphimLabs (July 06, 2014, 12:59 AM)
--- End quote ---

I didn't put a value judgement on there, though I did use the obvious joke. :)

Singularity and transhumanism is one of those topics I avoid commenting on, though they are interesting.

40hz:
The first few generations of machine life will be just as bad, but once they start to reliably exceed human intelligence they may very well see right through the flaws in our society and proceed to fix it for us. Over time they will lose their incentive to care for the remaining human beings- we'd be dumb and inefficient compared to them...
-SeraphimLabs (July 06, 2014, 12:59 AM)
--- End quote ---

Wish I had your faith in the potential of machine intelligence. ;D

40hz:
@Ren: Dunno...I thought the Borg Queen was pretty elegant: :)

Even if she does look (and did act) uncomfortably like one of Clive Barker's Cenobites at times. :tellme:

But I think I'd still prefer Alice Kreige as a human: :Thmbsup:

;D ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version