ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Reindexing in the background software for databases

<< < (2/6) > >>

Contro:
This is a important question for me. And I think informatics in the stone era yet.....

http://www.datamystic.com/datapipe.html

http://libguides.columbiastate.edu/federated

http://www.datamystic.com/forums

http://www.bcs.org/upload/pdf/ewic_im98_paper3.pdf

Perhaps there is a commercial interest or a historic handycap. Possibly is not simple to do my dream.

I was thinking about another idea :

There are several environments with forum in the databases world like PostGreSQL or MySQL.
Even you must know better options .
Is possible i can make a copy of the original databases (migrate) and reindex in any new environment.

May be ?

:-*

Contro:
With Oracle there are systems in place that do maintenance tasks such as (re-)index tables when a database is idling. That is because this consumes a lot of resources and it is better that during (re-)generation as little none to as little amount as possible database transaction take place so indexes are not (too) messed up afterwards.

The online documentation with MS-SQL Server already warns against creating too much indexes as they are more likely to degrade performance than enhance it.

Enterprise class databases don't even do what you want...or warn against these practices at least.

Ath is right, proper applications don't need continuous indexing.
-Shades (July 03, 2014, 12:13 AM)
--- End quote ---

I "remember" somewhere in this forum talk about EveryThing . This program fullfill my requirements about locate in my hard disks. Even talks about more powerful apps able to look inside pdf files, and even scan documentation and create text and indexes.
But for me was enough EveryThing.

I don't need certainly remember what I did- usually - a few moments ago. Or a week ago....
So a working copy of my databases perfectly indexed a week ago is enough for me.

:P

Shades:
Sorry, with RMDB solutions (Oracle, SQL Server, Postgres, MySQL and the likes) indexing might not mean what you think it means.

Database queries that often occur are put into and index. With more complex ones That quickly becomes very resource demanding. It will make your processor/core(s) work very hard and it will start to do a lot of reading and writing to disk. Those two alone will make your PC a lot slower. I know that Oracle databases can be very demanding when they are indexed. Hence they do such tasks at times when the database is not or hardly accessed and when the DB has detected that there is a lot new rows added or removed.

However, I get the impression that you think your database is slow and that indexing is the only cure. Dedicate a computer to be a database server + giving that PC lots of RAM, a decent processor and the fastest hard disks and network card(s) you can afford, together with a monthly/weekly indexing of your database will help a lot more.

Then again, if your database is badly designed, then it will be slow no matter the amount of hardware or indexing you throw at it. Database design is (a lot) more difficult than you think.

I have no experience with this type of database, but you could try to use NoSQL-based database. Perhaps that concept will help you more. What I can tell you is that with choosing your database, you will always be subject to compromise.

If you want to use a different database, and your database is small (10 GByte of storage space or less) than you can use the express version of SQL Server for free. It isn't slow and comes with quite nice management software. But if your database needs more 10 GByte of storage space, you will have to pay quite a handsome amount of money for a license. Although that is still nothing when compared with an Oracle license. Although I must say that the Oracle Express database (also free, but limited to 4GByte of storage space) is very useful.

However, Postgres is open source, not (too) limited in storage space, uses an SQL dialect and features that are quite compatible with Oracle and works on practically any operating system.

Contro:
Sorry, with RMDB solutions (Oracle, SQL Server, Postgres, MySQL and the likes) indexing might not mean what you think it means.

Database queries that often occur are put into and index. With more complex ones That quickly becomes very resource demanding. It will make your processor/core(s) work very hard and it will start to do a lot of reading and writing to disk. Those two alone will make your PC a lot slower. I know that Oracle databases can be very demanding when they are indexed. Hence they do such tasks at times when the database is not or hardly accessed and when the DB has detected that there is a lot new rows added or removed.

However, I get the impression that you think your database is slow and that indexing is the only cure. Dedicate a computer to be a database server + giving that PC lots of RAM, a decent processor and the fastest hard disks and network card(s) you can afford, together with a monthly/weekly indexing of your database will help a lot more.

Then again, if your database is badly designed, then it will be slow no matter the amount of hardware or indexing you throw at it. Database design is (a lot) more difficult than you think.

I have no experience with this type of database, but you could try to use NoSQL-based database. Perhaps that concept will help you more. What I can tell you is that with choosing your database, you will always be subject to compromise.

If you want to use a different database, and your database is small (10 GByte of storage space or less) than you can use the express version of SQL Server for free. It isn't slow and comes with quite nice management software. But if your database needs more 10 GByte of storage space, you will have to pay quite a handsome amount of money for a license. Although that is still nothing when compared with an Oracle license. Although I must say that the Oracle Express database (also free, but limited to 4GByte of storage space) is very useful.

However, Postgres is open source, not (too) limited in storage space, uses an SQL dialect and features that are quite compatible with Oracle and works on practically any operating system.
-Shades (July 06, 2014, 01:45 PM)
--- End quote ---

Nice ideas indeed.
By the way Goldmine 5.5 is a great CRM. I don't want to change or substitute by another. Not even Goldmine Premium that works in SQL language. My databases are in DBF format, but SQL queries are still posible in goldmine 5.5.

The size of all my goldmine databases set is about 3.41 GB including the indexes files.
I have more of 800000 registers at the present time. I presumed (suppose) i will have 1000000 in a year.
The limit of my version for each database size is 2 TB.
So I have plenty of space.

Usually i search in the main data fields (i was a not professional programmer in the ancient dBASE files : dBASEIII Plus, dBASE IV, dBASE for DOS, Visual dBASE. 16 bit and 32 bit.

Hey I am wrong. I found this :

"Assuming that you have a standard version of GoldMine (License starts with "D"), you only face two limitations.  (1) as previously stated, the dbt files have a 2 BG limit though this is seldome reached on a stand-alone system.  (2) Hard Drive space.  You need to have enough free hard drive space (2.5 x your largest GoldMine tables) so that there is room enough to perform maintenance."

What is 2 BG limit ?

:-\

P.D. I tried some years ago to get familiar with other databases like PostGreSQL, MySQL and others.
Even tried SQL language, but always end exhausted and unable to memorize.
I don't understand, but the dBase III plus commands are still in my mind. Curious thing !!!!!!!!!

Contro:
Ejem. Is 2 GB i think. I am consultin in the goldmine forum....
 :-[

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version