ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Reindexing in the background software for databases

(1/6) > >>

Contro:
Reindexing in the background software for databases

I have DBF files to organize.
I would like an application to reindex continually in the background even when these databases are in use.
Sort by all fields to be able to find everything. Even in the memo fields (notes).

Best Regards

:-*

Ath:
I would like an application to reindex continually in the background even when these databases are in use
-Contro (July 02, 2014, 09:33 AM)
--- End quote ---
2 remarks:
- Properly programmed applications (using .dbf files) don't need that
- Most applications don't allow their active (database) files to be changed, during normal operation

Shades:
With Oracle there are systems in place that do maintenance tasks such as (re-)index tables when a database is idling. That is because this consumes a lot of resources and it is better that during (re-)generation as little none to as little amount as possible database transaction take place so indexes are not (too) messed up afterwards.

The online documentation with MS-SQL Server already warns against creating too much indexes as they are more likely to degrade performance than enhance it.

Enterprise class databases don't even do what you want...or warn against these practices at least.

Ath is right, proper applications don't need continuous indexing.

Contro:
I would like an application to reindex continually in the background even when these databases are in use
-Contro (July 02, 2014, 09:33 AM)
--- End quote ---
2 remarks:
- Properly programmed applications (using .dbf files) don't need that
- Most applications don't allow their active (database) files to be changed, during normal operation
-Ath (July 02, 2014, 10:59 AM)
--- End quote ---

Thanks Ath.
I don't need to modify the active database. Only reindexing for search purposes.
Is an ancient DBF databases and programme. That's the reason.

:-*

Contro:
With Oracle there are systems in place that do maintenance tasks such as (re-)index tables when a database is idling. That is because this consumes a lot of resources and it is better that during (re-)generation as little none to as little amount as possible database transaction take place so indexes are not (too) messed up afterwards.

The online documentation with MS-SQL Server already warns against creating too much indexes as they are more likely to degrade performance than enhance it.

Enterprise class databases don't even do what you want...or warn against these practices at least.

Ath is right, proper applications don't need continuous indexing.
-Shades (July 03, 2014, 12:13 AM)
--- End quote ---

Thanks Slades.

If the process is complicated i have another idea.
Copy the DBF databases to another folder and reindex there.
I don't need to modify the dbf databases. I know i can't do that because fall in danger the own indexes the ancient program creates when is in use.

I was thinking about a Shadow copy for consulting purposes.

:-\

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version