ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Why is so much software cracked?

<< < (17/27) > >>

Baseman:
OK...So everyone has their own opinion about cracked software...NOW...Let's skip the main course and get to the Dessert...Who can honestly say they have never used or tried cracked software in their entire computing lives :tellme:?...

f0dder:
:P

I can say that I've had a tough job of cleaning up the mess left behind by previous admins at the museum I sysadmin. One thing is using pirated stuff at home, but ffs - you don't install pirated software as an admin.

nudone:
i can honestly swear i've never used anything even remotely illegal - especially cracked software - also, i have never used a computer in my entire life.

zridling:
Oh hale yea, I've used cracks to test software I'd never buy or use. For example, some video and, of all things, machining apps I've tested using cracks, and then passed on the recommendations to others. My thing is, if it stays on my machine, then I buy it. If not, I discard it, which convinces me of the validity of Carol's point (read her prior posts). Based on what I've received in over 500 emails over the past couple of weeks, people don't depend on cracks for their everyday work software, and tend to use them to explore and see what's worth buying or having.

Rover:
Coming in late on this discussion... sorry.

I've read the argument several times that if software were less expensive, vendors would sell more and make higher profits.  I beg to differ.

The more software you sell, the more your support costs go up.  Why?  Because there are more people who can't deal with computer problems than can.  So basically, the price is a designed restriction on how many copies will sell.  If the price gets too low, your costs go up and profits down.

That being said, I like the license/support costs to be seprate.  I'll decide if I need to pay for ongoing support based on my experience with and need for a product.  If it's not terribly important, I don't want to pay for support I won't need/use.

:two:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version