ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Why is so much software cracked?

<< < (7/27) > >>

f0dder:
The hardcore pirates will pirate even if prices were dropped substantially, probably even if photoshop cost $10.
What do you mean? Being 'hardcore' has nothing to do with still pirating software even if it costs a dollar... All teams did it, do it and will continue doing it, however most focus mainly in the expensive pieces of software.

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---
I meant hardcore as in "those people you just can't reach" - either because they're anti-capitalist or just cheap-asses :)

When you think of a good image processor, isn't Photoshop that comes to mind?

--- End quote ---
Actually, I think of Paint Shop Pro 9 - it fits my needs better than the big Photoshop package. Loads faster, and doesn't have as steep a learning curve as photoshop, and does what I need. I miss some things from the really old Micrografx Picture Publisher, by the way... was one of the easiest way of doing Alpha that I've worked with, and it had "objects" in supplement to "layers" - was also nice to work with.

And something else, would you really pay for software you just want to use once, if the demo/trial can't do it?

--- End quote ---
A few games, yes - because the cost per hour is cheaper than a cinema ticket :)

Carol Haynes:
The trouble is there really isn't an open source equivalent of Photoshop. The Gimp can do some of it but it isn't really in the same league at all and not really aimed at photographic processing. I suppose the cheaper solution for students is to get Photoshop Elements which does most of what Photoshop does these days (unless they need to learn about prepress, CMYK etc).
-Carol Haynes (May 30, 2006, 04:17 AM)
--- End quote ---

i didn't realise the gimp was that bad - or do you just mean it's okay, say, it's like an older version of photoshop from years ago or does it really suck when photo editing.
-nudone (May 30, 2006, 04:35 AM)
--- End quote ---

As I understand it the Gimp is aimed at image editing for monitor display and web pages, and not optimized or really designed for photography. It is a long time since I used the Gimp maybe things have changed but it used to be limited to screen resolutions (ie. 92 dpi).

The Gimp is probably fine for learning about techniques if you want something free but if you want a cheap alternative to Photoshop there are really only two options Photoshop Elements and Paint Shop Pro. There are other apps out there but none of them have the breadth of those two.

Gothi[c]:
As I understand it the Gimp is aimed at image editing for monitor display and web pages, and not optimized or really designed for photography. It is a long time since I used the Gimp maybe things have changed but it used to be limited to screen resolutions (ie. 92 dpi).

--- End quote ---

That must have been really long ago, because as far as I can remember you could always manually enter a dpi. A little more recent, they also put in a bunch of templates for new documents with predefined dpi values.

[edit]

CMYK is available through a plugin.
http://freshmeat.net/projects/cmykgimp/

[/edit]

Carol Haynes:
It's a long time since I tried Gimp - probably the best solution is to try it and see ... it is free after all!

Edvard:
And you might want to go with GimpShop- The gimp but hacked so it looks and behaves more like PhotoShop.

I used to work at a shop where the head IT guys were on two ends of the spectrum- one was a Perl dev and so any small solution that was needed he whipped up in Perl and passed it around. Done.
The other guy was the model case for just enough piracy. He was constantly on the hunt for the latest and greatest app for any given task, and frequently used cracks as trialware. Get it? If it worked, and worked well, he had the "proof in the pudding" (no missing functions, disabled saves, etc.) for the financial department to shell out the cash for a legit copy of said killer app. If not, he would uninstall and never be heard from again. Done.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version