ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Screenshot Captor

Capture only part of a scrolling window

<< < (3/6) > >>

mouser:
Thanks for saying so, ScreenManiac  :up:

DaleB:
OK...the red box is missing (for now)...I can see that (  well, actually,  I can't see it  ;-)  )

How can I gauge what area I am going to be capturing ?

Example:
Say that the total screen width is X, and the the total length of the web page (down the screen) is Y.

Say, I want to capture an area, x by y ;   where   x = 30%(X)  and    y = 70%(Y)

How can I visually determine what is going to be captured and how many scrolls that I will need to do ?

(Am I correct that I have to Manually scroll each page to capture: that the red box can't be stretched down multiple screens to  make  single capture ? )

If you look at my series of steps (posted earlier this morning) what do I need to do ?

Right now, I am not sure if my current steps are correct, let alone, what needs to be added to them.

Thank you

DaleB

mouser:
You move the red box initially to cover the area of the screen that the content will be scrolling through -- so usually it will cover the entire size of the window on the screen; you will be able to trim off scrollbars and stuff later so don't even worry about that.  The fact that you almost always want to capture the entire window contents is why normally you leave the red box to autosize to the window.

Then you follow the instructions and scroll the contents of the window with the mouse or keys, and hit prtscr after each scroll.

Did you watch the video here: https://www.donationcoder.com/screencasts/dc/3ds/sc29/sc29.html

In the end Screenshot Captor will stitch all the images together and let you tweak how they are stitched.

DaleB:
Hi:

OK...I have watched the video link that you posted regarding manual scrolling.

It was nicely done.

But I still have some issues.

First, let me recap what I had to do since my key-clicks differed from what was stated in the video.
Again, I am using an HP laptop, which involves having the use the function (fn) and Alt keys.

Open SC (via the Start menu, or double-click its shortcut icon)
Its icon appears in the system tray, with a blue screen background.

Press   fn+Ctrl+Shift+PrtScr   to obtain the red area-capture rectangle.
The SC's system tray icon, with a red screen background

If necessary, move your mouse pointer so that it is in the window area to be captured,
otherwise the red rectangle will select a different (possibly larger) rectangular area.

Press fn+Ctrl+Click

Select Item 3: Begin a Scrolling Window Capture on this Object.

Select Item 2: Let me Manually Scroll the Window

Click top bullet (if needed): Target Window with Vertical Content

Click Next

Minimize or move dialog box outside the window to be captured.

Press fn+Alt+PrtScr to capture the first screen

Press the Page Down button on your keyboard to scroll down an entire page.

Press fn+Alt+PrtScr to capture the next screen

Repeat the Capture/Scroll process until you capture all of the screens that you want.

Click Done in the Dialog box that you had Minimized/Moved.

Press Start Here: Guess Margins
Press Then: Guess Overlaps Given Margins

Press 100% then Preview now to view the capture in the small window pane area.

Press    OK, Save built image button.

A dialog box appears with options to Discard, Save, Print, ... the image.
If you save the file, change the file extension to say jpg is desired.
It defaults to file type, png.

If I select to print the image, the entire captured image does not get print.
In my case, only Page 2 of 3, printed.

I saved the image to a jpg file, then opened it to print it.
The program only prints Page 1 normal size, or the entire capture as "fit-to-page",
so that it is small, thus hard-to-read.

If I copy & paste the jpg file into a Word document, it only keep one first page,
based on the margins set for the Word document.

Similarly, if I save it as a pdf file , Adobe Reader can print the entire image in "fit-to-page",
not the normal/captured size.  If you select to print "Actual Size", it only prints the first page of the entire
screen capture in actual size.

So, I am unable to print the entire screen capture, unless it is at a reduced sized (fit-to-page).

And, by capturing an integer number of successive full-screen snapshots, I am capturing more information than what I may want.  Example:   I may only want to capture the area of 2.25 screens, but in order to do so, I must capture 3 full screens; thus, I have extra information that I may not want.

What I would like to be able to do, is drag the bottom edge of the red rectangle so the page scrolls upward until I reach the length-down-the-page where I want the capture-area to end.

Thus, only the selected area of the scrolling screen would be captured, not an integer number of screens to be sewn together.

Does SC allow for this type of capturing ?

If not, how do I remove the "excess area" (over capture) of the screen capture that I do not want ?

Any other ideas ???

Thank you

DaleB

tomos:
First, let me recap what I had to do since my key-clicks differed from what was stated in the video.
Again, I am using an HP laptop, which involves having the use the function (fn) and Alt keys.

Open SC (via the Start menu, or double-click its shortcut icon)
Its icon appears in the system tray, with a blue screen background.

Press fn+Ctrl+Shift+PrtScr to obtain the red area-capture rectangle.
The SC's system tray icon, with a red screen background

If necessary, move your mouse pointer so that it is in the window area to be captured,
otherwise the red rectangle will select a different (possibly larger) rectangular area.

Press  fn+Ctrl+Click

Select Item 3: Begin a Scrolling Window Capture on this Object.

Select Item 2: Let me Manually Scroll the Window

Click top bullet (if needed): Target Window with Vertical Content

Click Next

Minimize or move dialog box outside the window to be captured.

Press fn+Alt+PrtScr to capture the first screen

Press the Page Down button on your keyboard to scroll down an entire page.

Press fn+Alt+PrtScr to capture the next screen

Repeat the Capture/Scroll process until you capture all of the screens that you want.

Click Done in the Dialog box that you had Minimized/Moved.

Press Start Here: Guess Margins
Press Then: Guess Overlaps Given Margins

Press 100% then Preview now to view the capture in the small window pane area.

Press OK, Save built image button.-DaleB (July 08, 2014, 12:12 PM)
--- End quote ---
-
yes, laptops can be troublesome if you want to use the more 'exotic' keys.
That's a good description/tutorial - could be added to the help file.

A dialog box appears with options to Discard, Save, Print, ... the image.
If you save the file, change the file extension to say jpg is desired.
It defaults to file type, png.
--- End quote ---
-
png makes a much better image, hence the default -
default format can be changed in options (Advanced>)

If I select to print the image, the entire captured image does not get print[/i].
In my case, only Page 2 of 3, printed.
-DaleB (July 08, 2014, 12:12 PM)
--- End quote ---
-
this sounds like a bug.
I thought a workaround would be to save and then print, but you say:

1 I saved the image to a jpg file, then opened it to print it.
The program only prints Page 1 normal size, or the entire capture as "fit-to-page",
so that it is small, thus hard-to-read.

2 If I copy & paste the jpg file into a Word document, it only keep one first page,
based on the margins set for the Word document.

3 Similarly, if I save it as a pdf file , Adobe Reader can print the entire image in "fit-to-page",
not the normal/captured size.
--- End quote ---
-
I numbered the above:
1) I'm unclear here: when you say 'Page 1', what do you mean - it should be one single image
2) same as above
3) PDF in Adobe Reader will print a large image here if my printer page-size is big enough for the image - otherwise it can print a detail, or 'fit-to-page'.

And, by capturing an integer number of successive full-screen snapshots, I am capturing more information than what I may want. Example:   I may only want to capture the area of 2.25 screens, but in order to do so, I must capture 3 full screens; thus, I have extra information that I may not want.
--- End quote ---
-
capture only as much as you want - you will have a bigger overlap with the last two shots if you only want a quarter of a screen. SC seems to manage this quite well here.
EDIT// no, not as successful as I thought - easiest solution would be to crop your image

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version