ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Facebook plays with your mind

<< < (3/5) > >>

Renegade:
^^ Interesting. Seems someone forgot to tell the legislators that the dystopian novels weren't manuals. :)

TaoPhoenix:
^^ Interesting. Seems someone forgot to tell the legislators that the dystopian novels weren't manuals. :)
-Renegade (June 28, 2014, 07:46 PM)
--- End quote ---

Something like that. But scarily, this future is *better* than the combined sum of the first two novels! (Adverb here), the third novel is about dead center with the election metrics. A slight time shift, the tech isn't quite here for 2016, but the signs are there, and it's pretty cleanly on track for 2020. Remember my "Politician tracker app" discussion from a ways back, but turned on the citizens.

Though one of the short stories (that I misplaced dammit) is pretty close to the 3D printing theme.

Star Trek and space operas and "ultra tech" aside, a bunch of the "softer" SciFi is starting to really come home to roost and chirp.

As for Dystopias, I did a project in high school twenty years ago that there is no utopia at all, only varying grades of dystopias. So we traded unconnectedness and boredom and isolation for the Internet where I get to chat with Renny wherever-the-hell-you-are, but tied to Ed Snowden and spy monitoring. It's a sideways draw which is better.

Renegade:
As for Dystopias, I did a project in high school twenty years ago that there is no utopia at all, only varying grades of dystopias.
-TaoPhoenix (June 29, 2014, 01:46 AM)
--- End quote ---

That sounds about accurate. Bad things will always happen. It's inevitable.

One common element I see in dystopian stories is the way everything is "homogeneous". That will never work because people are different. The opposite of that always seems to be the apocalyptic dystopia, but that's not a comment on society so much as it is just a fun thought experiment - Mad Max isn't around the corner. Perhaps running towards heterogeneity is a better idea. :)

app103:
A friend of mine pointed this out, and it would apply to Facebook's paper that was published on the PNAS site:

For experiments involving human participants, authors must also include a statement confirming that informed consent was obtained from all participants. All experiments must have been conducted according to the principles expressed in the Declaration of Helsinki. -http://www.pnas.org/site/authors/journal.xhtml
--- End quote ---

Acceptance of Facebook's user agreement, at the time of signup, would not be considered "informed consent".

Informed consent is described in the Declaration of Helsinki as:

26.       In medical research involving human subjects capable of giving informed consent, each potential subject must be adequately informed of the aims, methods, sources of funding, any possible conflicts of interest, institutional affiliations of the researcher, the anticipated benefits and potential risks of the study and the discomfort it may entail, post-study provisions and any other relevant aspects of the study. The potential subject must be informed of the right to refuse to participate in the study or to withdraw consent to participate at any time without reprisal. Special attention should be given to the specific information needs of individual potential subjects as well as to the methods used to deliver the information.

After ensuring that the potential subject has understood the information, the physician or another appropriately qualified individual must then seek the potential subject’s freely-given informed consent, preferably in writing. If the consent cannot be expressed in writing, the non-written consent must be formally documented and witnessed.      

All medical research subjects should be given the option of being informed about the general outcome and results of the study.
--- End quote ---

Renegade:
A friend of mine pointed this out, and it would apply to Facebook's paper that was published on the PNAS site:

For experiments involving human participants, authors must also include a statement confirming that informed consent was obtained from all participants. All experiments must have been conducted according to the principles expressed in the Declaration of Helsinki. -http://www.pnas.org/site/authors/journal.xhtml
--- End quote ---

Acceptance of Facebook's user agreement, at the time of signup, would not be considered "informed consent".

Informed consent is described in the Declaration of Helsinki as:

26.       In medical research involving human subjects capable of giving informed consent, each potential subject must be adequately informed of the aims, methods, sources of funding, any possible conflicts of interest, institutional affiliations of the researcher, the anticipated benefits and potential risks of the study and the discomfort it may entail, post-study provisions and any other relevant aspects of the study. The potential subject must be informed of the right to refuse to participate in the study or to withdraw consent to participate at any time without reprisal. Special attention should be given to the specific information needs of individual potential subjects as well as to the methods used to deliver the information.

After ensuring that the potential subject has understood the information, the physician or another appropriately qualified individual must then seek the potential subject’s freely-given informed consent, preferably in writing. If the consent cannot be expressed in writing, the non-written consent must be formally documented and witnessed.     

All medical research subjects should be given the option of being informed about the general outcome and results of the study.
--- End quote ---

-app103 (June 29, 2014, 03:18 AM)
--- End quote ---

But, but, but... They *could* have been bots and, err, umm...

I think you're mistaken in thinking that Facebook gives a shit about medical ethics. ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version