ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Facebook plays with your mind

<< < (2/5) > >>

wraith808:
Just from reading the clip in the link I have the suspicion that this is yet another example of "event A occurred before Event B, therefor A is the cause of B."  Do the implementers of the study have an way to know how the lab rats get all their news?  Like if lab rat "Killer Joe" also reads NYT hard copy or subscribes to KKK Weekly?

Since news is generally negative it might be more demonstrative if they fed the lab rats a diet of jolly good news and they all started posting through rose colored glasses.  :)
-MilesAhead (June 28, 2014, 08:40 AM)
--- End quote ---

Well, the study is pretty stupid when you look at it.  "Do words affect your mental state?" is what the question can be boiled down to.  Well... duh?

Renegade:
"Do words affect your mental state?" is what the question can be boiled down to.  Well... duh?
-wraith808 (June 28, 2014, 09:31 AM)
--- End quote ---

Hahaha! ;D Nicely put!  :Thmbsup:

wraith808:
Facebook data scientist Adam Kramer is listed as the study’s lead author. In an interview the company released a few years ago, Kramer is quoted as saying he joined Facebook because "Facebook data constitutes the largest field study in the history of the world."

It’s a charming reminder that Facebook isn’t just the place you go to see pictures of your friends’ kids or your racist uncle’s latest rant against the government—it’s also an exciting research lab, with all of us as potential test subject.

Renegade:
your racist uncle’s latest rant against the government
-wraith808 (June 28, 2014, 10:15 AM)
--- End quote ---

Hey, my racist uncle is a pure statist that loves godvernment! :P ;D

TaoPhoenix:
Anyone want to take bets that their profits increase the closer they get to election time? (Anyone that thinks this won't happen is naive.)

Welcome to Hell.

I gave up on FB last year and refuse to use it anymore. This is just solid verification that I should never touch it again.
-Renegade (June 28, 2014, 08:16 AM)
--- End quote ---

I have dabbled for years at an ongoing project to take certain works of what used to be fiction, but then got closer in real news. It centered on a trilogy of novels with a few short stories along the way. Tom Clancy's Executive Orders from 1995 dealt with the destruction of govt (no jokes here) if the passengers hadn't downed that last plane in Pennsylvania. The Man from about 1965 dealt with the first Black President.

The last one is Stephen Bury's Interface from 1994 which deals with all of this metric-data for elections. Even 2016 might be a shade early, but it's well on track, so by 2020 I'm pretty sure his basic themes will be rock solid.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version