topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Monday March 18, 2024, 11:32 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: IDEA: drag window to edge automatically resizes it  (Read 730436 times)

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: IDEA: drag window to edge automatically resizes it
« Reply #700 on: December 09, 2014, 09:25 AM »
PS: thanks for the syntax coloring file! (even though I'm more of a Vim fan myself ;) )

KLR71

• Participant
  • Joined in 2015
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #701 on: January 09, 2015, 03:59 PM »
I like this app a lot but for some reason my x64 Win7 won't let me use the F12 key to set a window to be ignored.  I haven't remapped that key or anything.  I was using F11 in another program with it set to be used globally (seek ahead 10 secs on my media player), tried disabling that but Gridmove still won't let me use the F12 - I press it and nothing happens.  Hitting F11 does sucessfully cancel the operation.  Any thoughts?  This is about the only bug of any matter for me, too.  I've tried Window Manager too, man is that thing overkill. 

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #702 on: January 13, 2015, 04:34 AM »
Hi KLR71,

I'm not sure why that would happen... Can someone with win7 x64 chime in to tell us if they can reproduce this issue?

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #703 on: January 13, 2015, 05:03 AM »
Hi KLR71,

I'm not sure why that would happen... Can someone with win7 x64 chime in to tell us if they can reproduce this issue?

only to say I cannot reproduce the issue here in Win 7 x64 -
i.e. F12 works as it should, adding window to exceptions:

---------------------------
GridMove.exe
added MozillaWindowClass to exceptions
OK  
Tom

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #704 on: January 13, 2015, 05:06 AM »
KLR71, apparently according to this, there's a "Windows Hotkey Explorer" which may help you find if there's another program using F12.

@tomos: thanks a lot for your help!

AxCrusik

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #705 on: July 29, 2015, 12:45 PM »
Hey jgpaiva, I've been using Gridmove for years and love it. I just upgraded to Windows 10 and unfortunately, when I use Gridmove, it snaps the windows into different quadrants/sections of the screen as before but now it leaves a large gap between them (like a couple mm).
I was wondering if there was a way to fix this in the settings (so the windows touch each other instead of leaving the gap) or if you would consider creating a Windows 10 optimized version of Gridmove in the future?
Thanks!

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #706 on: August 04, 2015, 12:48 AM »
Hi AxCrusik,

I still haven't upgraded my home computer to windows 10, so I'm sorry I cannot reproduce that problem. Still, wouldn't it be a solution to build grids that slightly overlap as a workaround for that problem?

mbroskamp

• Participant
  • Joined in 2015
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #707 on: August 09, 2015, 04:56 PM »
Hi jgpaiva, I just wanted to confirm that I was able to reproduce the issue AxCrusik mention in his post.

Below is a screenshot to illustrate, note the black border between windows:
http://imgur.com/KwxEuvh

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #708 on: August 10, 2015, 02:31 AM »
Windows 10 seems to have a transparant border around all windows, recognizable when hovering the mouse across a border: the size-cursor shows when the mouse is already outside the window! I assume/suspect that this translates into a black border when inside a grid.
Have you tried to add the negative offset/overlap in grid coordinates, as suggested earlier?

michaewlewis

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #709 on: October 23, 2015, 12:38 PM »
Hello. I started using Eizo Screenslicer a few months ago to create virtual screen partitions on my 4k tv/monitor, but found that it was pretty limited for custom grids and didn't work with admin windows. I did some more searching and found grid move and am pretty impressed. The only problem I have is the method of moving screens to a grid. Setting it to "Use Drag Window To Edge method" is workable except, with a 4k screen, it's a long distance to the edge from some locations of the screen, and then you have to wait for it to recognize that you're at the edge. The "Use Draw With Middle Button method" doesn't work for me because I have several programs which use the middle click for 3d rotation (Google Earth, Vizio, and others).
I would like to suggest that there be a "Shift-Click" option, like Eizo uses, where you hold the shift button on the keyboard and then drag the window to the desired grid.
Thanks for the consideration and good job on the software. :)

gtavo

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2015
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #710 on: December 12, 2015, 07:19 AM »
I've just registered in this forum to thank you all for this awesome software (GridMove), specially to jgpaiva, I did a donation this mourning.

I'm on windows 10, and I solved the space between windows just overlapping the grids.

Thanks again for your work

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #711 on: December 12, 2015, 03:12 PM »
gtavo, thank you for taking time to post and especially for donating to support the coders here.  :up:

can you make sure to either follow the link in the license key email to "activate" your donation and then send your donationcredits to jgpaiva, who wrote GridMove -- or just email me and let me know what email/name you donated under so i can make sure the donation goes to jgpaiva.

gtavo

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2015
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #712 on: December 13, 2015, 02:11 AM »
gtavo, thank you for taking time to post and especially for donating to support the coders here.  :up:

can you make sure to either follow the link in the license key email to "activate" your donation and then send your donationcredits to jgpaiva, who wrote GridMove -- or just email me and let me know what email/name you donated under so i can make sure the donation goes to jgpaiva.

I made the donation via the donate button in the GridMove program, using paypal, I found this forum a couple of hours later...

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #713 on: December 13, 2015, 02:52 AM »
ah, even better!  :Thmbsup: :Thmbsup: :Thmbsup:

I've upgraded your forum account to show that you are a supporting (donating) member.

ycomp

• Participant
  • Joined in 2011
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Ultrawide Simple [a template designed with Ultrawide Monitors in mind]
« Reply #714 on: March 03, 2016, 12:12 PM »
content moved here
« Last Edit: March 04, 2016, 06:20 PM by ycomp »

ycomp

• Participant
  • Joined in 2011
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #715 on: March 03, 2016, 12:35 PM »
Hi jgpaiva, I just wanted to confirm that I was able to reproduce the issue AxCrusik mention in his post.

Below is a screenshot to illustrate, note the black border between windows:
http://imgur.com/KwxEuvh

I think this isn't gridmove-specific, LG Screen Split also does this.

On both applications, it doesn't seem to affect all windows - depends on what application the window belongs to, but seems like the majority.

ycomp

• Participant
  • Joined in 2011
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Feature Suggestion: Window Swapping
« Reply #716 on: March 06, 2016, 01:41 PM »
I guess that GridMove is not being developed anymore, but just in case i wanted to suggest a great feature.

One of the things I miss most from LG Screen Split, is the ability to swap windows. Would be great if GridMove could do that... let's say either by holding down shift when dragging, or going into a swap mode (say double tapping ctrl or something - not shift because that's used in IntelliJ IDEA)

swap mode meaning that if there is a window existing at the target location, then that window gets moved to the original location and size of the source window.

it's really great for re-organizing windows. I'd say download LG Screen Split to see what I mean but it works on LG monitors only I think.

an example, let's say you have 3 windows side by side.. and you drag the right one to the left zone, holding shift, then the window that was in the left zone moves to the right and the window from the right is now on the left.

ycomp

• Participant
  • Joined in 2011
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
AltDrag
« Reply #717 on: March 18, 2016, 03:00 PM »
This software is crazy sweet and works really well with grid move...

I prefer to disable the semi-conflicting options in it though, like middle click on title in it - because i often middle click the title with gridmove

anyhow, AltDrag is great at helping you move windows in place, when you are not grid-moving... I mean, you often move windows around with grid-move but then sometimes you just want to drag a window the regular way, and since you have so many nicely aligned windows courtesy of gridmove, you can easily "pop" a window into place because it is attracted to other windows edges or edges of the screen. As you can see, explanation is a bet messy but one you actually try it, you'll see what i mean.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that the windows just slide into place easily... when moving or resizing

GridMove + altDrag = a killer combination, basically nothing else comes close. I tried most of window managers out there.

I was close to purchasing a more bloated program called aquasnap because it didn't allow this type of thing with secondary monitors unless you paid, but alt-drag works on multi-monitors, is small and unobtrusive and free.

https://stefansundin.github.io/altdrag/

« Last Edit: March 18, 2016, 11:50 PM by ycomp »

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #718 on: March 19, 2016, 09:15 AM »
@ycomp do you know any way to use Alt Drag one-handed?  I like the right click drag window resizing but I hate having to use two hands just because I have to hold down the Alt key.

It is not a big deal except when trying to eat while moving windows around and surfing the net etc..  I hate to have to put down my cinnamon roll because it will get the desktop sticky.  It is just awkward.  I am usually sitting in a library when WiFi-ing.. If I was in my own place that would be another matter.  :)

ycomp

• Participant
  • Joined in 2011
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #719 on: March 19, 2016, 09:21 AM »
@ycomp do you know any way to use Alt Drag one-handed?  I like the right click drag window resizing but I hate having to use two hands just because I have to hold down the Alt key.

It is not a big deal except when trying to eat while moving windows around and surfing the net etc..  I hate to have to put down my cinnamon roll because it will get the desktop sticky.  It's is just awkward.  I am sitting in a library. If I was in my own place that would be another matter.  :)

dunno, I guess you could set it to your middle mouse button if you don't use that for grid move (I do)

I just use the alt-drag application for automatic window snapping - making windows attracted to other windows and screen edges, it even snaps on resizing a window

I have auto snapping turned on in general tab in configuration and it seemed to work better for me when I turned on snapping in the advanced tab as well.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #720 on: March 19, 2016, 09:26 AM »
I just use the alt-drag application for automatic window snapping

Ok.  I'll check it out.  I noticed the same programmer did SuperF4 btw.

Edit:  Seems like I can use it while MoveIt is active as long as I disable the MoveIt Snap to Quadrant feature.  I like how Alt Drag slides to window and screen edges. Not too much magnetism.  Pretty cool.

« Last Edit: March 19, 2016, 09:41 AM by MilesAhead »

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #721 on: March 20, 2016, 06:16 AM »
do you know any way to use Alt Drag one-handed? 
You could turn on the windows feature 'sticky keys' for that, perhaps?

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #722 on: March 20, 2016, 02:21 PM »

That works with MoveIt but not Alt Drag.  No biggie.  My fake mouse gesture in MoveIt is enough to skate by while cinnamon rolling.  :)

If Alt Drag proves stable then I am happy.  :)

ycomp

• Participant
  • Joined in 2011
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #723 on: March 21, 2016, 05:43 PM »

That works with MoveIt but not Alt Drag.  No biggie.  My fake mouse gesture in MoveIt is enough to skate by while cinnamon rolling.  :)

I don't know what its like where you are, but man, the cinnamon buns here (Toronto) in Ikea are great... you can smell them in half the store. They do that on purpose because cinnamon scent makes you buy things - I was reading it on the internet (that cinammon smells puts you in "want to buy mode") so it must be true! (well I can believe it)
« Last Edit: March 21, 2016, 06:29 PM by ycomp »

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #724 on: March 21, 2016, 06:26 PM »

I don't know what its like where you are, but man, the cinnamon buns here (Toronto) in Ikea are great... you can smell them in half the store. They do that on purpose because cinnamon scent makes you buy things - I was reading it on the internet so it must be true! (well I can believe it)

I wish I could get fresh baked.  The Entenmann's they sell in the supermarkets aren't too bad.  But a box of six is almost $7.00 now.  Ridiculous price.  The vending machines at the college have Big Texas brand for $1.25.  Lucky for you Toronto is cold so I won't be sneaking up there to heist your C Rolls.  :)

Edit:  I am from Boston originally.  But I have lived in South Florida for over 20 years.  I have become acclimatized.  Anything below 60 F and I want to put on a hoodie.  :)

Edit2:  Speaking of cinnamon aroma, I worked for a short time at a house cleaning service.  One guy there had his own "secret formula" that he sprayed around the room after cleaning.  The major component was cinnamon scent.  He claimed he got consistently bigger tips when he used the cinnamon scent as a finishing touch.