topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 6:40 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: IDEA: drag window to edge automatically resizes it  (Read 730583 times)

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: IDEA: drag window to edge automatically resizes it
« Reply #575 on: November 16, 2009, 02:06 PM »
Hi

I have just started using gridmove on windows 7, I actually started using it so I could keep the right side of my 2nd monitor free for my gadgets ala vista sidebar style, which it works well for.  On using it more I actually much prefer it to the built in windows 7 aero snap, namely because it has proper multimonitor support and I can arrange windows side by side on a single monitor without using the keyboard.

The only thing missing from this program IMO is the undocking functionality windows 7 has in its own aero snap. Namely if I dock a window to the side with aero snap as soon as I undock it returns to its former size. With gridmove it stays the same size so I have to manually resize.

Is there any chance this functionality could be added? It would make this a really perfect little app if it could be done

Here's Hoping  :)
Hi andonevris!

Yes, I can relate to your problem, I think aero snap is really neatly implemented, but it's part of the Operating System. It'd be much more difficult for GridMove to do the same, and I currently really have no way of implementing it in a reasonable time.

I'm not sure how much of GridMove you can use, but if you can edit the grid, you can edit a "Restore" grid element with the size of the whole screen. It doesn't get you the same behavior as aero snap, but it can be seen as a workaround, I think.

Here's the element you should add: (notice: replace '4' with the number of the last grid element + 1, and don't forget to add one to the numberofgroups parameter!)
[4]

TriggerTop   = [Monitor1Top]
  TriggerLeft  = [Monitor1Left]
  TriggerBottom= [Monitor1Bottom]
  TriggerRight = [Monitor1Right]

GridTop   = Restore
  GridLeft  = Restore
  GridBottom= Restore
  GridRight = Restore

andonevris

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #576 on: November 16, 2009, 02:22 PM »
Wow thanks for such a quick reply!

I see what you're saying regarding aero snap being part of the OS.

I've only just started playing with grids and wasn't aware there even was a restore grid element.  I'll give your solution a go

All the best

:up:

empyrean

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #577 on: November 23, 2009, 04:45 PM »
Thanks for a very nice app.  From time to time the grid appears when I'm not expecting (and don't want) it.  I'm not sure what I'm doing to cause his (I'm always surprised when it happens).  I think I'm just moving the mouse with no buttons or keys pressed.  I unchecked Fast Move, but that didn't help.  Sometimes typing ESC cancels the grid; sometimes I have to find Undo in the grid and click that.  I'm using the 2 Part-Vertical template on Vista with two monitors.  Is there a way to prevent this from happening.  First six options checked; also Use Command.  V1.19.59.

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #578 on: November 23, 2009, 04:47 PM »
Now that's surprising, empyrean. Are you sure you were not dragging a window to the edge of the screen or didn't click middle mouse button?
Those are other ways of activating the grid.

empyrean

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #579 on: November 24, 2009, 02:26 PM »
Thanks.  No, not dragging.  Just moving the mouse (perhaps quickly).  Nothing pressed.  I have a Logitech VX Revolution wireless mouse with two main buttons, a scroll wheel and some auxiliary buttons (all mapped to defaults); no middle button.  There's also a Synaptics pointing device (laptop), but I cover that up.

I can't reproduce the problem at will; it just happens when I'm not expecting it.

If you can't think of a feature that might cause this, maybe it's my mouse.  Sometimes it loses its place when I'm selecting text, so maybe the wireless is sending bogus signals occasionally.

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #580 on: November 24, 2009, 05:51 PM »
I honestly haven't observed that behaviour.. Maybe someone else has noticed the same problem and can provide more details.

SweVictor

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #581 on: January 07, 2010, 11:24 AM »
Hi

I have just started using gridmove on windows 7, I actually started using it so I could keep the right side of my 2nd monitor free for my gadgets ala vista sidebar style, which it works well for.  On using it more I actually much prefer it to the built in windows 7 aero snap, namely because it has proper multimonitor support and I can arrange windows side by side on a single monitor without using the keyboard.

The only thing missing from this program IMO is the undocking functionality windows 7 has in its own aero snap. Namely if I dock a window to the side with aero snap as soon as I undock it returns to its former size. With gridmove it stays the same size so I have to manually resize.

Is there any chance this functionality could be added? It would make this a really perfect little app if it could be done

Here's Hoping  :)
Hi andonevris!

Yes, I can relate to your problem, I think aero snap is really neatly implemented, but it's part of the Operating System. It'd be much more difficult for GridMove to do the same, and I currently really have no way of implementing it in a reasonable time.

I'm not sure how much of GridMove you can use, but if you can edit the grid, you can edit a "Restore" grid element with the size of the whole screen. It doesn't get you the same behavior as aero snap, but it can be seen as a workaround, I think.

Hi all!

I just found and downloaded this fantastic program today and of course went right to the contructing new grids part. I must say I dont really agree that the feature requested by andonevris would be a good thing... Since the possibilities are so much greater with the GridMove than with Windows 7 snap, I think the most common thing one wants to do is move the window, but retain the fixed size. To me it is good as it is!

However, I do have one (a little bit) related idea/request and one not at all related :)

#1: The concept of "smart fields" is fantastic I think, especially the possibility to maximize height and width separately. However, since you set the other values to WindowWidth and WindowHeight respectively I think you get some drawbacks... While the keyboard command works as "expected" the mouse action moves the window depending on the cursor position. I would very much like to be able to set GridTop = OldGridTop and GridBottom = OldGridBottom instead. Or maybe the possibility to omit the values or just leave them blank for "no change"? Just a thought! (and a more advanced one - when the value is omitted the underlying trigger sets that value.. I realize that's not at all easy, but it would make it very easy to specify advanced grid using columns and rows separately ;)  )

#2: Variables. Some kind of varible handling would be just wonderful! (that would actually solve #1 as well since you could specify one with the old value). The reason I would like this is when you make advanced grids with padding between the cells it gets very cumbersome to write everything all the time. Something like:
%cellTop% = [Monitor1Top] + 60 + ([Monitor1Bottom] - [Monitor1Top] - 90) /2 + 10
[GridTop] = %cellTop% + 5
[GridBottom] = %cellTop% + 20
for example would be very, very nice.

And even if nothing of that ever happens it is still a GREAT program!

Good work!
/Victor

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #582 on: January 07, 2010, 12:11 PM »
Hi Viktor!

Regarding #1, the intention really is to have the mouse select the place where you'd like to vertically/horizontally maximize the window, if you'd like to have only vertical maximize in the current position of the window, you can just use a plugin to do it, a simple program that moves the window to the desired dimensions. If no one else dos this, I may have some time to do it this weekend, if that's you request.

Regarding #2, I do understand how useful it would be to have that feature. However, I think that would involve writing a new method for reading the .grid files, which I really have no time to do :(

SweVictor

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #583 on: January 07, 2010, 03:10 PM »
Hi Victor!

Regarding #1, the intention really is to have the mouse select the place where you'd like to vertically/horizontally maximize the window, if you'd like to have only vertical maximize in the current position of the window, you can just use a plugin to do it, a simple program that moves the window to the desired dimensions. If no one else dos this, I may have some time to do it this weekend, if that's you request.

Regarding #2, I do understand how useful it would be to have that feature. However, I think that would involve writing a new method for reading the .grid files, which I really have no time to do :(

Hi!
Being a coder myself I certainly can relate to how much time things take and realize that including variables would be a change that might require a rethink of the basic structure.

And for #1 - A program that only maximizes a window horizontally or vertically would, I think, would  be of limited functionality - I just personally think that the current behaviour (that it follows the mouse on one axis) is quite counterintuitive since each grid is specified so strictly. What however would be more useful would be the ability to omit a value (which would then not change). For example it would be possible to make a "change" control with functions like "expand/move" one cell left, stretch to top/bottom etc. And to be clear - this is not anything i really "need", i just think it would be really nice to have it!

Finally a quick question - is it possible to add labels in some way? I know that text show up for specific functions and external programs but is it possible to just add a label?

Thanks
/Victor

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #584 on: January 07, 2010, 06:37 PM »
I'm sorry, I really think I'm not following what you mean with #1 :(

No, currently there's no way to add labels. To be honest, though, that wouldn't be very hard to add. I'll add it to my todo list (along with this and this).

SweVictor

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #585 on: January 07, 2010, 08:24 PM »
For #1:

Say you have the active window @ (t,l,b,r) = (50,100,150,200)
You drag it to the "extend left" cell which has the code
[GridLeft] = 0
GridTop, GridBottom and GridRight are all not there (or maybe "GridTop = " or "GridTop = current" or sth (same for the other two))

The behaviour I am looking for is "when value is not set, use current".

When the code above is carried out the new coords would be (t,l,b,r) = (50,0,150,200) - it will have extended left

/Victor

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #586 on: January 08, 2010, 08:43 AM »
oh, ok. I see what you mean. That might not be too hard to do, I'll add it to the todo list ;)

SweVictor

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #587 on: January 08, 2010, 08:51 AM »
thanks =)

And thanks again for the program in general :D

I have an ambitious grid-making project going on right now, i'll post in the other forum when it's done. Part 1 (the easy part) of 4 or 5 or so is done :)

Although... It might take a while since I'm actually supposed to study for some exams ;)

/Victor
« Last Edit: January 08, 2010, 09:02 AM by SweVictor »

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #588 on: January 10, 2010, 01:40 PM »
And.. There we go, a new update!

Ok, I've added support for using user profiles for settings and a new grid. I've also added the new DCUpdater helper.

Victor: I've added the feature you requested, with a small change: instead of leaving the field empty, you need to specify it as "Current". I'm leaving the empty field for a future feature where it'll use the corresponding trigger as grid value, that way making the "introduction to grid making" way easier since you'd only have to specify part of the grid.

Hope you like it! You may get it at the usual place or through DCUpdater ;)

[edit] Sorry, forgot to say, gridmove will by default use the .ini file in gridmove' directory, if it exists. If it does not, it'll create the ini file in the appdata folder. Thus, if you want to have the former behaviour, delete the .ini file and restart gridmove! [/edit]
« Last Edit: January 10, 2010, 06:52 PM by jgpaiva »

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #589 on: January 10, 2010, 04:24 PM »
And there we go.. A new update.

This includes the non-upx-compressed executable, to avoid problems with antiviruses.
Also, now you can create grids without specifying the "Grid" part (it'll default to the same value as the corresponding "Trigger" part), making it way easier to define simple grids.
See the 2-part, 3-part and 4-part grids as examples!

(and here's a simple example:)

[groups]
NumberOfGroups = 2

[1]

TriggerTop   = [Monitor1Top]
  TriggerBottom= [Monitor1Top] + [Monitor1Height] /2

[2]

TriggerTop   = [Monitor1Top] + [Monitor1Height] /2
  TriggerBottom= [Monitor1Bottom]

SweVictor

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #590 on: January 10, 2010, 05:54 PM »
Very nice  :Thmbsup: and (maybe apart from separate user profiles), im guessing, pretty simple change!

To me, the ability to set "current" is a very welcome addition and to many i think that the ability to omit the Grid section altogether also is welcome. I right now prefer the "miniview" type of triggers, but it is still nice to be able to build the trigger grid first and simply wait with the main grid for later.

Thanks!
/Victor
« Last Edit: January 10, 2010, 05:57 PM by SweVictor »

filpee

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #591 on: January 11, 2010, 09:56 PM »
Been using Gridview on Vista for a few months now and have really liked it.

Upgraded to windows7 and now I'm having an issue.
Everytime it starts I get the "As this is GridMove's first run, you'll get some help in the form of tooltips." message. I have closed it through the tray menu but this doesnt seem to fix it.

It also does not remember the last grid I used. I could just delete all the grids that I am not using but that is not the point.

Any ideas?

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #592 on: January 12, 2010, 04:13 AM »
Hi plipee!

Have you tried the most recent version of GridMove? (released the day before yesterday)
If that doesn't solve it, then I'll have to try it myself under Windows7.

[edit] That happens to you because GridMove isn't able to read the setting from its ini file, which is created on first run. The new version of GridMove stores the ini file in a different place, thus, it should work under Windows 7. [/edit]
« Last Edit: January 12, 2010, 06:07 AM by jgpaiva »

TheSunbird

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #593 on: January 12, 2010, 02:23 PM »
As this is GridMove's first run, you'll get some help in the form of tooltips.
Im using GridMove V1.19.61 on WinXP Sp3 and get the same issue.
If i select Options->ShowNumbersOnGrid GridMove even restarts itsself and shows the quoted sentence again. :(
Furthermore my selected Grid and the other options are lost if it restarts. :(

Maybe it's the ini file as mentioned by jgpaiva. In my installdirectory, there isn't an ini file - and has never been created during install.
How can I fix that? Any suggestions?
Help would be appreciated, because GridMove is awsome!  :Thmbsup:

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #594 on: January 12, 2010, 02:43 PM »
Apparently there's a serious problem with the most recent version, I see.
Could any of you try to find if there's a gridmove.exe.ini file in c:/documents and settings/<your username>/application data/donationcoder/gridmove ?

SweVictor

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #595 on: January 12, 2010, 03:32 PM »
My guess is that it is due to UAC (User Access Control) in Win Vista and Win 7. If you have problems i suggest right-clicking and choose "Run as administrator" when you want to make any changes. This means that the program will have access to write to files in different directories. If the ini is really located in the documents and settings path it _should_ work anyway though...

Give it a go anyway! (Since i dont have the problem I might be far off though ;)  )
/Victor

TheSunbird

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #596 on: January 12, 2010, 03:35 PM »
Could any of you try to find if there's a gridmove.exe.ini file in c:/documents and settings/<your username>/application data/donationcoder/gridmove ?

The following path missing at all: "donationcoder/gridmove"
I searched my computer for "gridmove.exe.ini" and didn't get any results.

Hope, this information could help you.
By further questions I try to provide you help - if I can do so!  ;)

My guess is that it is due to UAC (User Access Control) in Win Vista and Win 7.
As mentioned above, i have WinXP SP3 - so no UAC.  8)
« Last Edit: January 12, 2010, 03:38 PM by TheSunbird »

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #597 on: January 12, 2010, 04:27 PM »
SweVictor: GridMove should work with UAC ON, I'm all for it, and really want it to work like that. I'll have to give it a better look.

TheSunbird: are you running on a guest account?

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #598 on: January 12, 2010, 04:41 PM »
Ok guys, I figured it out.. Should come up with a solution real soon.
Meanwhile, to solve it, you only need to create the folder I mentioned (c:/documents and settings/<your username>/application data/donationcoder/gridmove) and GridMove should work.

[edit] actualy, you only need to create the c:/documents and settings/<your username>/application data/donationcoder/ folder, apparently gridmove isn't creating that specific folder. [/edit]
« Last Edit: January 12, 2010, 04:53 PM by jgpaiva »

filpee

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #599 on: January 12, 2010, 05:40 PM »
Ok guys, I figured it out.. Should come up with a solution real soon.
Meanwhile, to solve it, you only need to create the folder I mentioned (c:/documents and settings/<your username>/application data/donationcoder/gridmove) and GridMove should work.

[edit] actualy, you only need to create the c:/documents and settings/<your username>/application data/donationcoder/ folder, apparently gridmove isn't creating that specific folder. [/edit]

In windows 7 on my laptop this folder is actually at "C:\Users\<your username>\AppData\Roaming\donationcoder\gridmove".
Thanks for the quick reply jgpaiva this has fixed the issue.