topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 6:50 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: IDEA: drag window to edge automatically resizes it  (Read 730592 times)

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: IDEA: drag window to edge automatically resizes it
« Reply #675 on: February 29, 2012, 06:42 PM »
orbidia, I did mention the email I have registered in the forum, but most people miss that :)
I answered you yesterday, I hope you got the email!

poidi

• Participant
  • Joined in 2013
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #676 on: May 23, 2013, 02:45 AM »
Hi folks, is this still an active topic?

as it suggests above it isn't - but i have a question / feature request for Grid Move

It would be great to not only have
 - Monitor1Top
 - Monitor2Top

But also to have an option
 - MonitorActiveTop
 - MonitorActiveBottom

Why?
First of: I'm a keyboard guy...
I have my Grids set up as the numpad suggests it (so 1 is left bottom; 5 is center; 6 is half right;...)

For my other monitors i have a similar system - just one decade higher (11 is left bottom on second screen, 21 on third)

the Fast Move works perfectly on the main monitor - but for the other monitors i'm not able to use fastmove, since it does not interpret more than one digit. (so i use the command hotkey - which is slightly slower, of course)

so my actual idea:

set up a grid that uses not a fixed monitor, but the actual (where the mouse is present) monitor

so instead of setting up 9 grids for each monitor, i would only need 9 grids at all.

other option would be to tell fastmove to interpret more digits as well (in order to use fast move to grid 24)

thanks!

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #677 on: May 23, 2013, 01:40 PM »
Hi poidi!

I find your idea interesting, I would only suggest that to aim at a 100%-focused keyboard solution, it would be better to consider that "actual monitor = monitor where the window is".
Regardless, and to be honest, I have posted the code for GridMove on github because I haven't been able to followup on the requests posted to the forum (I've explained it elsewhere, but basically not being a Windows user anymore makes developing GridMove a burden instead of a pleasure).
So, unless someone else steps up to fullfil your request, I fear it won't be done :(

I'm really sorry for this,
João

kippg

• Participant
  • Joined in 2013
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #678 on: March 23, 2014, 12:13 PM »
Hi jgpaiva,

I am finding that its not working very well in Windows 8.  I have a donation ready to go.... can you fix it?

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #679 on: March 23, 2014, 02:36 PM »
I am finding that its not working very well in Windows 8.  I have a donation ready to go.... can you fix it?

this might be worth testing (I havent tried it lately, so cant comment) -
GridMove Lite Portable | Windows7/8 ready, combine w/ Aero Snap | XP/Vista Supp.
Tom

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #680 on: March 23, 2014, 02:56 PM »
Hi jgpaiva,

I am finding that its not working very well in Windows 8.  I have a donation ready to go.... can you fix it?

Just one thought.  Have you tried running as administrator? I find some of my programs don't want to work on W8 without it.

kippg

• Participant
  • Joined in 2013
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #681 on: March 23, 2014, 10:15 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions.  I ended up getting it to work with win7 compatibility.

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #682 on: March 24, 2014, 06:15 AM »
Thanks for the suggestions.  I ended up getting it to work with win7 compatibility.
Hi,
Indeed from Windows 7 onwards, Windows as a tighter grip on what each application is allowed to see from other running applications. This means that GridMove cannot move other windows or recognise the mouse when it's over windows from other applications. Typically, the solution seems to be to run it in administrator mode, but it's good to know that on win7 compatibility it also works :)

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #683 on: March 24, 2014, 11:39 AM »

I didn't think of trying that on my programs.  I'll give it a shot.  :)

asticilluder

• Participant
  • Joined in 2013
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #684 on: September 16, 2014, 07:28 AM »
Just wanted to post a thank you for this program. I looked long and hard for a program of this quality to resize windows. Don't know how I lived without it! I'll be sure to send a donation your way when I can.

AHK has been a great tool to add to my arsenal as a developer. Hopefully, I'll be able to contribute in the future.

kippg

• Participant
  • Joined in 2013
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #685 on: October 29, 2014, 08:20 AM »
I'm interesting in donating for GridMove but I see the last release is 2009.  Is the project no longer being developed?

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #686 on: October 29, 2014, 10:17 AM »
Hi kippg,

I'm still here, just haven't changed anything in GridMove as it seems to be stable for most people.
I have since moved to OSX and no longer own a Windows computer, so I don't use it everyday myself (unfortunately), which means I don't add any features anymore and mostly just do support and bugfixing if needed.

João

shmuel1

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #687 on: November 06, 2014, 05:01 AM »
I don't know if anyone mentioned this, but since Windows 7 there have been shortcut keys to fit a window to the right or left of the screen: Windows Key + Left Arrow and Windows Key + Right Arrow.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #688 on: November 06, 2014, 01:19 PM »
I don't know if anyone mentioned this, but since Windows 7 there have been shortcut keys to fit a window to the right or left of the screen: Windows Key + Left Arrow and Windows Key + Right Arrow.

There's also an app from MilesAhead here on dc, let's see, here's a review I wrote:
MoveIt - windows management app - Mini-Review

I use it in conjunction with GridMove (and Windows' default Winkey + Arrow keys) in Windows 7.
(I dont know if Moveit works in Windows 8.)
Tom

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #689 on: November 08, 2014, 10:13 AM »
(I dont know if Moveit works in Windows 8.)

It works if Run As Administrator.  I check that option in Compatibility Tab and put a shortcut in the StartUp folder to have it start with Windows logon  (Typing shell:startup in Run box is an easy way to optn the User StartUp Folder.)
( Edit it also works in Windows Ten Preview but I believe I had to use the Registry Run key and put UAC all the way down to auto start it.  )

Thanks for mentioning it Tomos.  I'm glad someone out there uses MoveIt.  :)

ycomp

• Participant
  • Joined in 2011
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #690 on: November 28, 2014, 10:32 AM »
don't know if anyone mentioned this yet, I haven't read the thread.

But it's a bit annoying having to rename the groups all the time. And the bigger the file, the more that must be done.

I mean [1], [2], [3], etc.

maybe I don't understand something... but anyhow I am renaming them often so that the overlaps work correctly for my layout.

My current layout has 18 groups.

I wanted to use notepad++ but couldn't figure out how to do it that way. If anyone knows, let me know please.

So I used TextPad ... if you do a search and replace in TextPad it will renumber all the groups in the order they appear in the file.

Code: Perl [Select]
  1. Search: ^\[[0-9]*\]
  2. Replace: \[\1\i\]
Hope that helps someone...

ycomp

• Participant
  • Joined in 2011
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #691 on: December 06, 2014, 06:57 PM »
anyone know how to solve this problem? I get at least a couple times a day this annoying "transporting" of my current window to the last used grid position.

It happens when I click the middle button (the middle button is what I use to drag windows to new grid postions, I have all other grid-initiation techniques disabled). But it only happens a couple times a day, not every time I click the middle mouse button (which is fairly often since I use the browser a lot)

But as far as I can tell, I'm not doing anything else... not touching the keyboard, not moving the mouse. Are there any shift/alt/ctrl-key combinations that are used to "teleport" the window to its last used grid position? I occasionally do have stuck key problems but I'm not so sure they are stuck when this strange behaviour occurs.

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #692 on: December 09, 2014, 04:39 AM »
Hi ycomp,

Do you have any grid element configured with the "restore" element? Maybe when you click and are over the restore element, gridmove is assuming you want to move there? Did it ever happen to move to some element other than restore?

ycomp

• Participant
  • Joined in 2011
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #693 on: December 09, 2014, 04:51 AM »
nope, I use no special keywords. My Grids are just the basic Trigger, Grid and [Monitor or WindowHeight/Width stuff. It happened again a few times yesterday. Always to the previous position that I had moved in the Grid... I mean lets say I move/sized a window to the top left using the Grid. Then I don't use Gridmove for 1/2 hour (that's just an example number)... then I press the mouse middle button - then it might move the grid. I mean it doesn't happen every time I click the middle mouse button. But when it happens, it will move back to the last grid placement position (in this example, to the Top Left). Never to another grid position, only to the last used one.

Very Strange

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #694 on: December 09, 2014, 04:57 AM »
So, it never maximizes vertically nor horizontally? Grr, there doesn't seem to be any reason for it to spontaneously decide to restore to the previous size :/

ycomp

• Participant
  • Joined in 2011
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #695 on: December 09, 2014, 05:02 AM »
only moves to the last position with the same last used grid size... no maximizing in either direction when this happens.

actually it would be a cool feature, if I could activate it when I needed it :) but when you're trying to work and this thing happens a few times (I think sometimes it is a one off thing , sometimes it will happen a few times in a few minutes or less but I guess that's because of my work habits - when I'm doing a lot of middle clicking in the browser, it is more likely to occur)

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #696 on: December 09, 2014, 05:43 AM »
only moves to the last position with the same last used grid size... no maximizing in either direction when this happens.
OK. That's strange because the part of the code that restores, first tries to maximize in each direction. I suppose that if it somehow was inadvertently entering that part of the code, it might enable either of the three.

actually it would be a cool feature, if I could activate it when I needed it :)
You know that you can use the "restore" element for that?

but when you're trying to work and this thing happens a few times (I think sometimes it is a one off thing , sometimes it will happen a few times in a few minutes or less but I guess that's because of my work habits - when I'm doing a lot of middle clicking in the browser, it is more likely to occur)
I understand, sorry :( It seems I can't quite figure out why this happens.

ycomp

• Participant
  • Joined in 2011
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #697 on: December 09, 2014, 06:18 AM »
Where could I get some info on FastMove? I don't really understand what it is.

p.s. I've attached a notepad++ syntax coloring file just in case if anyone finds it useful. Ok, I couldn't figure out how to attach so I've linked to it:

Notepad++ User Defined Language Syntax Highlighting File for GridMove

ycomp

• Participant
  • Joined in 2011
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #698 on: December 09, 2014, 06:20 AM »
ah, I found FastMove in the menu and instructions are there. It was just confused about it from the docs having almost no info on it except the name.

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #699 on: December 09, 2014, 09:24 AM »
Sorry, fastmove is just moving windows with the keyboard. I think I had a sudden attack of laziness and decided to stop documenting there.  :-[