topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 2:13 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: IDEA: drag window to edge automatically resizes it  (Read 730493 times)

krusader23

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: IDEA: drag window to edge automatically resizes it
« Reply #625 on: June 19, 2010, 07:43 AM »
Hi,
the 1.19.62 latest version doesn't work for me:
- the program installs normally, but after this the welcome window (with two bars) hangs and I have to kill the window process using the taskmanager
- the GridMove icon is present in the taskbar however you can't click on it in any way (the menu doesn't appear)
- I've also tried to move the windows to the edges of the screen and no grid appears
- furthermore, the WIN+G screen also doesn't work (it opens firefox - the default browser)
Fortunately helloall posted the portable version of the software, which (except that the WIN+G key still opens firefox) works great ;)
I've tried running GridMove on my two PC's (Windows XP SP3 and Windows XP Tablet Edition 2005) and it doesn't work on both.
I think it probably has to do sth with the current version. I would suggest adding some older versions of the software in the download section on the program's site, so if sth doesn't work, you could always test the older version (I've looked for the older version, but apparently all the external download sites redirect direclty (;) ) to jgpaiva site.

Regards

helloall

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #626 on: June 19, 2010, 08:58 PM »
Have you tried to delete the settings in your user folder?

The normal version of Gridmove stores the settings in a folder like this by default:

C:\Users\YourUserName\AppData\Roaming\DonationCoder
(Path can differ based on your OS. Mine is Win7)

Try to delete that "DonationCoder" folder and then try a fresh install of the normal GridMove version.

DonĀ“t know if it helps since you tried it on two computers, but you can still try...
« Last Edit: June 19, 2010, 09:00 PM by helloall »

krusader23

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #627 on: June 20, 2010, 07:11 AM »
Yes, I've tried it, when I delete the file nothing changes. If you run the program after deleting, the welcome bar appears again and the program hangs. When you run the program again, the taskbar icon is present, but you can't click on in in any way. (after the deletion of the DonationCoder folder GridMove behaves as if it was a fresh install).

Halbyrd

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #628 on: July 19, 2010, 03:04 PM »
Great program; it's saved me tons of hassle. One weird issue I'm running into lately though:

I run a dual widescreen setup, and have made a custom grid to suit my idiosyncratic needs. Problem is, GridMove is putting the grids for monitor 1 on monitor 2 and vice versa. I've checked and double-checked my settings; the monitors are identifying themselves correctly in the video card drivers, and Windows has them properly assigned. Is there any other reason why it would behave like this?

System details follow:
Windows 7 Enterprise 64-bit
AMD Phenom II X4 910
4GB RAM
NVidia GeForce GTX 465, Forceware 258.96

geraldzjh

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #629 on: July 20, 2010, 12:16 AM »
Hi all, new guys for this forum.
The application Gridmove is great!
Just one problem regarding this application. I don't know anyone here can answer it.
When I use the fuction of "Always on top", It works all right. But I want to know how I can restore it to normal, I mean how can I restore the function so that the window will NOT stay on top any more?
It seems the windows will stay on top forever and cannot restore to normal...unless I close it and re-open it.

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #630 on: July 20, 2010, 07:05 AM »
Halbyrd: could you send me the grid and describe the behaviour you were expecting?

geraldzjh: using always on top again should work, it is supposed to "toggle always on top".

Halbyrd

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #631 on: July 20, 2010, 12:44 PM »
jgpaiva: grid file is attached, though it displays this misbehavior with every grid I've tried. Basically, it acts like my monitors are flipped, so grids for monitor 1 show up on monitor 2, and grids for monitor 2 show up on monitor 1. I haven't had this problem until just recently, when I switched to a NVidia video card.  The example grid I've attached is set up for a 2x(1680x1050) desktop, side by side. I use the Win+G hotkey to relocate windows; all mouse activation is disabled in GridMove's options, so it won't conflict with Aero Snap.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2010, 12:46 PM by Halbyrd »

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #632 on: July 20, 2010, 01:00 PM »
Oh... That is completely new to me, I've never seen it happen :(

geraldzjh

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #633 on: July 20, 2010, 07:53 PM »
That's great! Thanks jgpaiva!

prnd321

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #634 on: August 04, 2010, 10:37 PM »
I'm currently using 'twinsplay'. It's very simple - only provides two vertical zones, but it's effective by using the hotkeys. I will search for better programs but now I feel good enough. You may have a try with it.

Halbyrd

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #635 on: August 19, 2010, 09:52 PM »
Update: found a solution, and possibly some insight into the nature of the problem.

The way I had things set up, I had my primary display plugged into the "second" DVI port on my video card (as if these things are labeled :shrug:). GridMove apparently wasn't looking at what monitors Windows was treating as "primary", "secondary", and so on, it was looking at which physical port the display was plugged into.  Swapping the cables and restarting GM solved the problem.

Edit: Wait, no, it's still displaying this messed up behavior. I had swapped over to an unfamiliar grid, which masked the symptoms. Nothing to see here, move along...
« Last Edit: August 19, 2010, 09:55 PM by Halbyrd »

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #636 on: August 27, 2010, 07:30 AM »
just a quickie, jgpaiva...

i'm not sure if this is a bug or just something weird with my machine, the question is:

does GridMove work with multi-monitor setups - regardless of the number of screens.

I've got four monitors plugged in and it appears that GridMove is only aware of 3 of them. admittedly, they are in an unusual layout, that is: 3 in a row and 1 above middle (like and inverted letter T).

if you remember, you made some excellent adjustments to Dialogmove to work with my multi-monitor setup. that worked brillilantly.

i wonder if something is required for GridMove to work with the same number of monitors?

thanks.

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #637 on: August 27, 2010, 07:41 AM »
ignore all that above  :)

i've just seen that the grids are using 3 monitors - so i've just added the fourth and it works as expected.

marvellous.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2010, 04:12 AM by nudone »

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #638 on: September 01, 2010, 03:36 AM »
Can anyone answer this, please, if you know for sure...

Can GridMove move a window to a zone/grid area without changing the size of the window?

e.g. there are times when i just want to center a window on my main screen - but the size is perfectly adequate so doesn't need fitting to a grid.

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #639 on: September 01, 2010, 03:57 AM »
Hi nudone!
IIRC, there's no way to do that, even though it does sound like something one would look for :(

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #640 on: September 01, 2010, 04:00 AM »
Okay, thanks jgpaiva (wasn't sure if you were still regularly around).

i'm sure there will be an autohotkey script that already does this so i'll have a search for it - i was just trying to avoid re-inventing the wheel if GridMove did it already.

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #641 on: September 01, 2010, 04:42 AM »
Okay, thanks jgpaiva (wasn't sure if you were still regularly around).
Unfortunatelly, I'm not, but I still follow this thread, trying to help with that I can :)

i'm sure there will be an autohotkey script that already does this so i'll have a search for it - i was just trying to avoid re-inventing the wheel if GridMove did it already.
It shouldn't be hard to find a ahk script that centers a window, it's really simple. If you can't find one, I'm sure someone in the coding snacks area could do one easily ;)
Also, if you know how to use the "Run" grid element, you can call the ahk script directly from gridmove ;)

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #642 on: September 01, 2010, 05:41 AM »
Also, if you know how to use the "Run" grid element, you can call the ahk script directly from gridmove

oh, that's interesting. i didn't know that. that's a good idea then - i'll look into that.

I've not used GridMove for a long time so i've lost track of what's happening - BUT, i've discovered it's the absolute ESSENTIAL tool for using with my 4 monitors...

...I wanted a tool that would let me hit a hotkey and then move a window to a specific monitor. there are "professional" programs out there (not free, and i'm using them) for multi-monitor setups yet they can't send a window to a specific monitor - they simply let you cycle through available monitors until you get the window moved to the monitor you wanted it on, i.e. window is on monitor 1, you want it on monitor 4 - that requires 3 hits of the hotkey to make it happen - the window jumping to window 2, then 3 and then 4. so, very annoying.

GridMove lets me put the window to the monitor (or grid) that i want - with one hotkey hit that relates to that specific grid/monitor zone (using an ahk script).

but, of course, GridMove lets me set up unique zones on each monitor so I've got hotkeys for some of those too.

it would have been nice if the window didn't have to be resized in the process of moving to a secondary monitor - but i can live without that.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #643 on: September 01, 2010, 06:20 AM »
e.g. there are times when i just want to center a window on my main screen - but the size is perfectly adequate so doesn't need fitting to a grid.

have you looked at MilesAhead's TicTac ?

No, it doesn't play the game. It just positions the active window to a section that would correspond to a tic tac toe position.  The positions visually correspond to the NumPad number keys.  3 is Bottom Right, 8 is Center Top etc..

AFAIK it doesnt support multi-monitor but he might be able to help all the same

[edit] although upon reflection I think it's pretty different and might not be any help - sorry! [/edit]
Tom
« Last Edit: September 01, 2010, 06:22 AM by tomos »

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #644 on: September 01, 2010, 08:09 AM »
thanks, tomos - and MilesAhead.

TicTac may be enough - i only really need the main monitor support... i think. i'll try it out for a few days.

spyro

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #645 on: December 14, 2010, 04:23 AM »
Hi there,

great tool! :)

It would be great if you could increase the thickness of the rule lines. There pretty hard to see on higher resolutions. Additionally you maybe could 'soften' the screen behind the grid or bright it up a little.

Is it possible to improve the reaction time for GridMove? When I middle-click on the titlebar of a window it lasts about 0.5 s until the grid shows up...

Keep on the great work!

spyro

ahbi

• Participant
  • Joined in 2011
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #646 on: January 30, 2011, 08:41 PM »
Using GridMove 1.19.62, Win7-Ult, native snap disabled

First, thanks I have used this for years and loved it.

Now for the question.
With Office 2010 (specifically Word 2010), when you cut and paste text into a document Word pops up this "right-click"-like menu to choose: Keep Source Formatting, Merge Formatting, Paste as Plain Text.

The problem comes in when you paste something in Word, causing the paste-menu, and then use HotKeys in GridMove to resize Word. 
Unfortunately, that paste-menu isn't a "menu" but a window, that now resizes to the Grid you wanted Word to resize to.  Word stays at its un-resized size and place.
The workaround is to hit ESC before using the GridMove hotkey (ESC closes the paste-"menu").  But, you know that isn't ideal.
I should add, I never use GridMove via the mouse.  I assume the act of selecting Word's titlebar would deselect the paste-"menu" and everything would then work as expected.
Any thoughts or fixes for this?
Thanks

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #647 on: January 31, 2011, 06:00 AM »
The problem comes in when you paste something in Word, causing the paste-menu, and then use HotKeys in GridMove to resize Word. 
Unfortunately, that paste-menu isn't a "menu" but a window, that now resizes to the Grid you wanted Word to resize to.  Word stays at its un-resized size and place.
Hi!

GridMove always works on the window which is topmost, as long as it can be resized.
This may cause multiple problems similar to yours, where a window opens a child window and you wanted to move the parent window. However, other times you may want the child window to be moved.
The problem you mentioned would imply me writing an explicit exception in the code for every window that someone required. Also note that some people may actually want to move the child window :(

I think there is no better solution than what you mentioned. Maybe you could alt-tab (to change focus) before using GridMove?

nextogen

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #648 on: March 30, 2011, 07:57 PM »
hello jgpaiva,

First, thanks for a great software. Been using it for a long time and it made my life much easier.

I have one problem tho. When using Autodesk Softimage i can only make GridMove ignore the window for that particular session. Program is run by a bat script and opened always in a window with different signature so you end up with a list of exceptions in GridMove.exe.ini like:

Afx:0000000004000000:8:0000000000010005:0000000000000000:00000000255406AG
Afx:0000000004000000:8:0000000000010005:0000000000000000:0000000000D3154Y
Afx:0000000004000000:8:0000000000010005:0000000000000000:0000000011740GDT
etc.

Is there a way to tell GridMove to ignore all the windows that start with certain set of symbols?

Thanks

luetkmeyer

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #649 on: April 27, 2011, 02:13 PM »
Hi.

I loved this app. Thank you.

Well, can I change the colors and transparency?

Thanks in advance.