topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 2:50 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: IDEA: drag window to edge automatically resizes it  (Read 730510 times)

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: IDEA: drag window to edge automatically resizes it
« Reply #450 on: January 30, 2008, 10:43 AM »
Nice jgpaiva!

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #451 on: January 30, 2008, 11:20 PM »
No need!
AllSnap can do it

jgpaiva, why don't you point icekin to your AllSnap mini-review. :up:

icekin

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • icekin.com Technology,Computers and the Internet
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #452 on: January 31, 2008, 06:50 AM »

Thanks, but I already use Pitaschio which can do the same thing as Allsnap, among other things.

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #453 on: January 31, 2008, 07:39 AM »

Thanks, but I already use Pitaschio which can do the same thing as Allsnap, among other things.

oops! actually i meant jschwarz who had originally requested the feature. must be coffee deficiency. :-[

ansalon

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #454 on: February 12, 2008, 08:08 AM »
Thank you jgpaiva! for this nice Work  :Thmbsup:

I'm was looking for this kind of Software for a long time, and be glad that a
friend of mine find your side :-)

I play around a bit and have some feature-requests. Don't know if it is possible....

1. It would be nice if i could "bind" an Applikation to an fixed specified Grid-Number. For example I'd like my Browser
always open in Grid No. 1 and my Texteditor in Grid 2 etc. This means Gridmove has to detect a starting Applikation and
should move it the the specified Grid. May be it's possible to mark a Grid as default, so all unconfigured Apps will be opened
there.

2. Some webpages have the bad habit to maximize the browser-window to fullscreen. Is it possible to set a grid to be locked
for resize/maximize so an applikation snaped to that grid will not react on the resize-command anymore?

3. It would be nice to define Layers of Grids. Instead of having a Desktop-Manager with multiple Desktops
(don't have that, but i hope that clear the idea...) i would like to have few Layers with Grids where i can
snap Apps on it and a hotkey for scrolling through the layers. This means wenn i switch from
layer one to two all apps in layer one move in the background and all apps on layer (grid) two come to foreground.
In combination with the grids there are a lot more possibilities to arrange windows. So i could make one layer with my
working apps and one with browser + Email-Client so i can simply switch between them. So it will also possible to arrange
the layers that the area of where the email-Client is will always be visible...

Hope you can understand my explanation  :tellme:
Let me know what you think of these ideas.

Thank you again!
Greetings from Germany...
Ansalon

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #455 on: February 12, 2008, 09:05 AM »
Hi ansalon!
I'm glad you like gridmove :D

Regarding your suggestions:

1: There's a way better solution for this: winwarden. It lets you do exactly what you asked.

2: Winwarden can do that too, IIRC :)

3: To be honest... That sounds exactly like a multiple desktops app. It's impossible for me to make something nearly as good as the multiple options out there (the one i recommend is dexpot) and i'd just be reinventing the wheel.

ansalon

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #456 on: February 12, 2008, 09:56 AM »
Man you are realy fast :-)

ok i give winwarden a try...

Don't know if multiple Desktops apps could define one app to be on all desktops at same time, i should find out and give dexpot a try too :-)

Thank you for your Recommendations :-)

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #457 on: February 12, 2008, 10:27 AM »
Don't know if multiple Desktops apps could define one app to be on all desktops at same time, i should find out and give dexpot a try too :-)
Oh, they sure can! Try dexpot, i bet it'll be exactly what you're looking for ;)

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #458 on: February 15, 2008, 05:26 PM »
I'm just reporting that Brandon told me GridMove works perfectly under Windows Vista. I'd like to get a few more opinions on this, to make sure it's stable in Vista, since i can't test it myself.

Rgb9001

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #459 on: February 27, 2008, 02:34 PM »
Rgb9001: What you're looking for is a bit different from what gridmove does. But i've seen a program that does exactly what you want.. Unfortunatelly, i can't recall its name now and thus am unnable to find it :(
Hi again jgpaiva,
I know its been a while, but were you able to dig up any more info on this topic?
Thanks,

--R

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #460 on: February 27, 2008, 06:08 PM »
Sorry, Rgb9001... I really can't remember the name of that program :(

painz

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #461 on: March 07, 2008, 06:01 AM »
Sorry for bothering you again, had to reinstall windows, downloaded .53 and win-arrows doesnt work anymore :( am i missing something? Also now i use 2nd monitor for notebook too and would be nice to have some shortcut for moving window between monitors (without grids just throw it to another monitor, something like win-pgup/pgdn, and actuallly maximize/minimize from kybd could be a nice addition too...). And reload with keyboard shortcut since auto-reload didnt work back then. Thanks again.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2008, 06:04 AM by painz »

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #462 on: March 07, 2008, 06:30 AM »
Hey painz!

.53 still has that feature, but you have to enable it through the ini, like in the other version... It's the "sequential move" key, set it to '1'.
There is already the "reload by keyboard" feature: press win+g and then 'r' ;)
Currently, you can add a minimize/maximize element to your grid (i think the edge grid includes a mazimize element) and then press win+# :)

painz

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #463 on: March 07, 2008, 06:34 AM »
Ah, sequental move, thanks i just forgot. Actually i think that should be added to menu, no?
Win-G-R is nice ofcourse but im speaking about "direct" reload hotkey, same with maximize/minimize and screen move.
The thing is when i view notebook on 2nd monitor i had to switch inputs to see windows which were opened on that monitor or press alt-space-m (move) and keep 'left' pressed for a while to see it on 1st screen.

painz

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #464 on: March 07, 2008, 07:00 AM »
Hmm sat making new dual-screen grid and noticed that sometimes it cant shutdown itself when I press win-G-R and runs multiple copies in tray :/

« Last Edit: March 07, 2008, 07:11 AM by painz »

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #465 on: March 07, 2008, 08:13 AM »
Ah, sequental move, thanks i just forgot. Actually i think that should be added to menu, no?
Win-G-R is nice ofcourse but im speaking about "direct" reload hotkey, same with maximize/minimize and screen move.
The thing is when i view notebook on 2nd monitor i had to switch inputs to see windows which were opened on that monitor or press alt-space-m (move) and keep 'left' pressed for a while to see it on 1st screen.
The problem is that gridmove already registers quite a few hotkeys, and if i add more of those, very soon you want to use another app that has hotkeys, and gridmove has it registered, see what i mean?

Hmm sat making new dual-screen grid and noticed that sometimes it cant shutdown itself when I press win-G-R and runs multiple copies in tray :/
I can't quite understand why that happens, it must be the same problem that was causing multiple instances of gridmove when the auto-reload was working :(

kartal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #466 on: March 14, 2008, 03:18 PM »
it looks like your task bar needs to be visible at all times to be able use this one. I personally prefer to see these menus show up on ever window`s title bar

Hi ansalon!
I'm glad you like gridmove :D

Regarding your suggestions:

1: There's a way better solution for this: winwarden. It lets you do exactly what you asked.

2: Winwarden can do that too, IIRC :)

3: To be honest... That sounds exactly like a multiple desktops app. It's impossible for me to make something nearly as good as the multiple options out there (the one i recommend is dexpot) and i'd just be reinventing the wheel.

timcrews

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #467 on: April 28, 2008, 10:45 AM »
I'm just reporting that Brandon told me GridMove works perfectly under Windows Vista. I'd like to get a few more opinions on this, to make sure it's stable in Vista, since i can't test it myself.

I have always used GridMove on Windows Vista.  It almost always works fine.

I have only observed two strange behaviors, and unfortunately I haven't recorded the details so you will probably not find this report useful.  Nevertheless, here they are:

1)  Two or three times, I have noticed that there were multiple (sometimes even more than ten) instances of GridMove running.  It showed up multiple times in Task Manager, and it showed up multiple times in the notification area.  I think I remember that this was a time when I was experimenting with different screen configurations, so lots of resolution changes were involved.  GridMove continued to work fine.  When I noticed, I just right-clicked on each of the GridMove icons in the notification area and closed them until there was only one left.

2)  About half of the time, when I restart Vista, after logging in, I see a dialog that says that a previous instance of GridMove could not be terminated.  It asks if I want to wait.  If I answer yes, everything works fine.

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #468 on: April 28, 2008, 11:08 AM »
timcrews:

Thanks for your reports!

Well, what you mentioned is a known problem, that i solved by removing the auto-reload. The problem is that sometimes when the resolution changed, when gridmove reloaded, it'd stay running. I can't understand why that happens, because it's related to the way Autohotkey does the reload.
If you'd like to solve that, just download the most recent version.

About gridmove on vista... I'm now running vista, and i've been having a few problems (hotkeys not being released, and the overlay moving too slow, mostly).
But i intend to make a review of gridmove sometime in the future, and then i'll add that info to gridmove's page ;)

AxCrusik

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #469 on: May 11, 2008, 01:20 AM »
jgpaiva
I have been using GridMove for a year and a half now and I use it daily (still with my custom grid). It is one of the most useful programs on my computer and whenever friends see me snap a window into place they are amazed and wonder how I did it. I recently dual-booted my computer with windows vista ultimate 64 bit and was pleasantly surprised to discover that grid move is compatible. I have a 30" monitor with a 19" widescreen monitor in portrait orientation next to it so I rarely maximize windows. Instead I snap them to half or quarter screen areas. It seems like you have been busy fixing bugs and implementing new features so I will have to check out the latest version of GridMove to see what's changed. Thanks a lot and congratulations on your success!

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #470 on: May 11, 2008, 06:59 AM »
Thanks AxCrusik!

I recently have moved to Vista64, and also was glad to find that gridmove works.
Unfortunatelly, i haven't been able to update gridmove for quite a while (been VERY busy with school stuff) and there are still some loose ends, but it's good to know that it's still usable enough for people to use it everyday :)

kartal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #471 on: May 16, 2008, 02:44 PM »
Currently I made my own hack to grid system. What you need is
power pro  http://powerpro.webeddie.com/
winsplit http://reptils.free.fr/

What I did is that I assigned winsplit shortcuts to mouse and window titles with powerpro.
So if I middle click to right portion of any title bar my window moves, resizes(half of the screen size) and snaps to right side
So if I middle click to "minimize" my window moves, resizes(half of the screen size) and snaps to bottom of the screen
And I covered all the corners(left, top) etc this way. You do not need to use shortcuts or enable disable anything.

I thought this was a damn good hack and works beautifully. If anyone is interested I can give my powerpro and winsplit settings.

Also you can do this without winsplit in powerpro but I found this hack easier.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #472 on: May 16, 2008, 03:25 PM »
but I just love all those preset (i.e. made by others, in particular jgpaiva) options -
window #1 takes two-thirds of the screen, window #2 takes the other third, or 3/4 or whatever...this way, that way ...
I'm a fan of powerpro but only use it fairly basically, but I think in this case, I suspect its worth running the other app = gridmove !
Tom

ppass

• Participant
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #473 on: May 27, 2008, 03:25 PM »
Hi jpgaia,

I lost track of this thread for some time. Could you update me on a feature request you have accepted. That is moving around the current window using the modifier key + arrow keys. This assumes that each for each grid definition, the user defines the logic of the ordering of the grids. For example, modifier key + left/right arrow moves in this order: Grid1-> Grid2 -> etc. Have you implemented this ?

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #474 on: May 27, 2008, 03:44 PM »
Hi ppass!

I think that feature is currently being discussed in another thread, but i still haven't gone around to implementing it..
Unfortunatelly, it has been too much time since the last time i updated gridmove, i've been packed with school work :(