topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 8:11 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Has anyone noticed Youtube bandwidth requirements just increased?  (Read 3698 times)

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
I've noticed that the Youtube bandwidth requirements/defaults just went from 360 to 480. That's a significant jump in bandwidth.

If you visit Youtube now, you may see that the video player is now much larger.

Here's a reference:

https://support.goog...answer/2853702?hl=en

So, you're looking at 20~33% higher bandwidth requirements.

I'm smelling some Net Neutrality hanky-panky going on here... Why would you raise the default bandwidth? That makes zero sense...

As Bubbles would say...

NSFW
Something's fucky!

Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker
« Last Edit: June 21, 2014, 06:57 PM by Renegade, Reason: typo »

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Maybe because they decided that most connection speeds and display resolutions have improved enough that 480 isn't an unreasonable default?

EDIT: Oh, I see now that the link is for YouTube Live Streaming. I don't really see where it says the default has changed there. And it seems lower resolutions are still offered.

Another EDIT: I know that the size of my browser window will affect the default player size. For example, if I've recently downloaded something and the download bar is showing at the bottom of my browser, the YouTube player will be smaller. If I close it, it will resize to a larger area and set the quality of the video to 720p. So maybe you've just resized your browser window recently?
« Last Edit: June 21, 2014, 03:52 PM by Deozaan »

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I think everybody is jockeying for position and creating as big a annoyance as possible prior to the FCC issuing it's new net gangbang "neutrality" regs.

Sure looks like a little political posturing and hanky-panky to me! :Thmbsup:

proud.jpg

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
EDIT: Oh, I see now that the link is for YouTube Live Streaming. I don't really see where it says the default has changed there. And it seems lower resolutions are still offered.

Yeah, not an ideal reference, but it does show the relative bandwidth requirements.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
I was just uploading something (which was using up all my upload bandwidth, causing my download speeds to be poor) and a YouTube video had to pause a couple of times to buffer, then a link appeared under the video with something like "Experiencing interruptions? Find out why!" So I clicked it and got taken to this page:

https://www.google.c.../videoqualityreport/

I'm posting it here because it seems somewhat related to this thread. Like it's in preparation of Net Neutrality (i.e. analyzing traffic in case ISPs such as Comcast throttle the YouTube bandwidth).

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
I was just uploading something (which was using up all my upload bandwidth, causing my download speeds to be poor) and a YouTube video had to pause a couple of times to buffer, then a link appeared under the video with something like "Experiencing interruptions? Find out why!" So I clicked it and got taken to this page:

https://www.google.c.../videoqualityreport/

I'm posting it here because it seems somewhat related to this thread. Like it's in preparation of Net Neutrality (i.e. analyzing traffic in case ISPs such as Comcast throttle the YouTube bandwidth).

Excellent link!

This is there:

COMPARE PROVIDERS IN YOUR AREA

Yeah... they're going to war over this.