topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 9:21 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Magrunner FREE on GOG for 24 hours! (June 18, 2014)  (Read 20424 times)

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Magrunner FREE on GOG for 24 hours! (June 18, 2014)
« on: June 18, 2014, 09:10 AM »
Magrunner: Dark Pulse, a futuristic action-puzzler with physics-based challenges, impressive graphics, and a twisted storyline taking a turn into the insane realm of lovecraftian mythos, is available for FREE on GOG.com, for the next 24 hours!

How to get it? It's simple: Just go to our front page and scroll down until you see a big banner saying: "Download Magrunner for FREE". Click it. You're done. A free copy of the game will be added to your account. It will take some time, as we'll need to process the queue. We'll e-mail you when the game shows up in your account.

http://www.gog.com/n...se_free_for_24_hours

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Magrunner FREE on GOG for 24 hours! (June 18, 2014)
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2014, 02:35 PM »
So it's Portal + Cthulhu? :Thmbsup:

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2014, 03:42 PM »
Seems like it. Which makes for two of my favorite flavors on one box! ;D

I'm gonna have to at least try it... 8)

Crush

• Joined in 2006
  • Hello dude!
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2014, 04:38 PM »
Seems to be very challenging.

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Omerta City of Gangsters is currently free on GOG.com

http://www.gog.com/?omerta

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2014, 09:02 AM »
Here in PY, the timer said there was still 1 hour left on the Omerta deal...

mwb1100

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Still Life 2 FREE on GOG for 2 hours! (June 24, 2014)
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2014, 12:13 PM »
Still Life 2 is the next of today's freebies (that's two of four).

- http://www.gog.com

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Torchlight FREE on GOG for 1 hour! (June 24, 2014)
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2014, 07:05 PM »
Torchlight is one of the freebies for about the next hour:

http://www.gog.com/

mwb1100

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Alan Wake's American Nightmare is the fourth and final free 'flash' sale item today (note it won't become available until about a half hour from when I post this).

I'm not sure how long it'll last, but they've been going for 2 hours, so I expect the same for this.

http://www.gog.com

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2014, 06:31 AM »
I really don't care for the way GoG is doing this sale. I suppose it's great if you're sitting at a PC all day and night - and have the patience to keep checking every hour or so for what's on sale. But I thought the "daily specials" approach they used previously was a lot friendlier and less annoying.

NOTE: Be sure you keep track of the times. I added something to my cart with about a half hour to go on the offer. It went into the cart at the sale price. I decided to shop around some more since I hate to have my card get hit for a single $4 charge. I added a few more items to the cart after skimming their reviews. But when I went to check out, that first item was off sale and showing up in the cart at its regular price. Apparently the sale price can disappear at checkout if you don't move fast enough. I could understand this happening if you threw something in a cart and then came back the next day. But going off sale when it was already in a cart that wasn't even an hour old? Dunno. That seems a little harsh. And the part I found really annoying was that there was no warning given. The price just changed and that was that. If I had seen a notice to the effect that one of my selections had since gone off sale (and did I still want it at the regular price?), all would have been well. But it didn't. It just added an additional $12 to the total.

So if you see something you want at this sale, best cart it and pay for it pronto.

mwb1100

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2014, 09:39 AM »
It seems like "flash sales" that last only a few hours are the new rage with game vendors - it's not just GOG.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2014, 09:43 AM »
But when I went to check out, that first item was off sale and showing up in the cart at its regular price.

Yeah... steam is friendlier in this regard.  They put big orange letters that something in your cart has changed in price, and put an asterisk beside it.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2014, 09:45 AM »
Well... I guess it must be working for them then.  :huh:

But I still don't much care for it.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2014, 10:09 AM »
But when I went to check out, that first item was off sale and showing up in the cart at its regular price.

Yeah... steam is friendlier in this regard.  They put big orange letters that something in your cart has changed in price, and put an asterisk beside it.

I try not to come across as being too pissy about things like this. GoG is a great company and I've been a happy customer of theirs  for some time now. Which is probably why when something goes wrong with GoG, it annoys me a lot more than the same thing would if it happened with another company.

I did send a mild note of complaint and suggested that the price of a title (once added to the cart) remain valid until the current user session ended or 60 additional minutes after the sale price expired - whichever came earlier. Or if that was not possible that you at least be informed (a la Steam) that the price had been changed.

I got the usual non-committal response about "passing your suggestion over to the appropriate team" -  so we'll see. But hey! If you don't complain it'll never get fixed, right?

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2014, 10:14 AM »
Exactly.  And I didn't really view it as nit-picking... seems valid to me!  I actually almost bought something once the ticker had expired because of this particular glitch.

Jibz

• Developer
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2014, 11:26 AM »
I think there was perhaps a bit too much flash in their flash sale. The free offers were on for such a short time that I didn't manage to pick any of them up.

Edit: reading the previous posts after posting, this should just have been a +1 instead :-*.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2014, 11:48 AM »
I think there was perhaps a bit too much flash in their flash sale. The free offers were on for such a short time that I didn't manage to pick any of them up.

Edit: reading the previous posts after posting, this should just have been a +1 instead :-*.

I think you helped to hit the nail on the head of the problem for me.  With steam... it's in multiples of 8 hours for things changing.  You can predict.  I *still* haven't figured out how these gog sales are scheduled.  I know they're shorter than 8 hours.  So at some point it becomes... meh, I'll get them if I get them.

Same problem with the insomnia sale they ran a while back.  With no set (reasonable) timetable, people can't plan.  They're good ideas in theory, but the execution has fallen a bit short...

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2014, 03:43 PM »
My complaint is that the flash sales on GOG end at weird times. I saw something on sale the other day, it looked interesting from the "box" art, but I'd never heard of it so I watched the trailer for it and was convinced that I should buy it. When I added it to my cart, the sale had ended. This was at something like 20-25 minutes after the hour. I would have expected a sale to end on the hour, or at least in half-hour intervals. Not at 6:22 (for example).

That really annoyed me.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2014, 03:54 PM »
My complaint is that the flash sales on GOG end at weird times. I saw something on sale the other day, it looked interesting from the "box" art, but I'd never heard of it so I watched the trailer for it and was convinced that I should buy it. When I added it to my cart, the sale had ended. This was at something like 20-25 minutes after the hour. I would have expected a sale to end on the hour, or at least in half-hour intervals. Not at 6:22 (for example).

That really annoyed me.

My complaint towards that one... their ajax sucks.  Steam always updates.  GoG is more problematic.  New things were on sale on GoG on a page I had open, and it still showed the old things with Expired :-( in the time left... and didn't show the new items at all until I manually refreshed.  With such short turnaround, that's sucks.  And they did it for the insomnia sale... when it was over, they automatically refreshed the available items.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2014, 03:58 PM »

That really annoyed me.

Yeah, they're definitely trying to create a little "drama" this time out.

Problem is, it's a short distance between "making it fun" and hucksterism.

Can't speak for everybody, but I think GoG either got some very bad advice, or they're straying from the "up & up" image they've so carefully built up over the years.

I expect a little more from GoG. Hope my faith in them isn't misplaced.