ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

"English" <> "German" translations

<< < (2/6) > >>

AbteriX:
I'm having a hard time understanding what you mean -Deozaan (June 17, 2014, 03:54 AM)
--- End quote ---

Really?  :-[  Sorry.

I mean, there's a difference between just "installing" an application, and be able to really work with it.
(I talk here about software in conjunction with measurement instruments, connected over USB, network or serial cable)

So we have to configure the application and/or the measurement device.

This part, the configuring, doing the settings, connecting the instrument, and so on...,
so the customer can really use the app for work at the end,
is what we call "die Inbetriebnahme" (the Commissioning),
"die Anlage in Betrieb nehmen" (turn the plant into production),
is what I look the right term for.

It is the same if you would build a fabric factory. After assembling everything together, you have to do some set ups to let that thing really work.

tomos:
I'm a bit late to the party - disclaimer: my technical German *and* English are not that great. I thought that by using a German language OS I would learn the terms, but I didnt - just gave up after a couple of years and went back to English.

German term: die "Inbetriebnahme" , die Anwendung "in Betrieb nehmen"
My English: the Commissioning
-AbteriX (June 17, 2014, 03:22 AM)
--- End quote ---

I'm curious - how did you translate these in the end?

AFAIK in regular language 'Inbetriebnahme' would be 'the implementation'.
I dont know if the word 'commissioning' is used in technical language (?)
I would simply call it the 'setup' in this case.

'Anwendung' translates as 'application' - but I'm not sure if it's being used as 'software-application' (?)

(overlapping with your post Stefan)

AbteriX:
Hi Tom, not to late  :P

I'm a bit late to the party - disclaimer: my technical German *and* English are not that great. I thought that by using a German language OS I would learn the terms, but I didnt - just gave up after a couple of years and went back to English.

German term: die "Inbetriebnahme" , die Anwendung "in Betrieb nehmen"
My English: the Commissioning
-AbteriX (June 17, 2014, 03:22 AM)
--- End quote ---

I'm curious - how did you translate these in the end?-tomos (June 17, 2014, 04:07 AM)
--- End quote ---
What do you mean "how did you translate"?
Ahh, I think I see: my main resource for translating is "QuickDic", or Leo.org and Dict.cc

AFAIK in regular language 'Inbetriebnahme' would be 'the implementation'.
I dont know if the word 'commissioning' is used in technical language (?)
I would simply call it the 'setup' in this case.
--- End quote ---
QuickDic says to
"commissioning" > Inbetriebnahme / Inbetriebsetzung / Indienststellung.
"implementation" > die Durchführung / Implementierung / die Umsetzung / Realisation.

So "Commissioning" fits better I would say.

"Setup": I would say I do the setup for the commissioning.

'Anwendung' translates as 'application' - but I'm not sure if it's being used as 'software-application' (?)
--- End quote ---
Yes, ENG:Application is GER:Anwendung in software terms, and medical also I would say (apply/applied/applying<> anwenden).
Die medizinische Anwendung <> the medical application
http://www.linguee.de/deutsch-englisch/search?source=auto&query=Die+medizinische+Anwendung

der Software-Anwendung <> the software application.
http://www.linguee.de/deutsch-englisch/search?source=auto&query=die+software+anwendung

Also e.g. "das Urteil findet keine Anwendung" <> " judgment is not applicable"

- - - - - -

What I have found so far,
Spoiler
Inbetriebnahme <> Commissioning
http://www.linguee.de/deutsch-englisch/search?source=auto&query=commisioning

implementation <> die Durchführung
http://www.linguee.de/deutsch-englisch/search?source=auto&query=implementation

anlage in betrieb nehmen <> put the plant into operation
http://www.linguee.de/deutsch-englisch/search?source=auto&query=anlage+in+betrieb+nehmen

die Software in Betrieb nehmen <> the software is operational.
die Software in Betrieb nehmen <> to use the software productive,
die Software in Betrieb zu nehmen <>  put the software into operation on-site yourself
die sich ohne eine Software-Programmierung in Betrieb nehmen lassen <> put into service without any software programming.
http://www.linguee.de/deutsch-englisch/search?source=auto&query=software+in+betrieb+nehmen

this will do it I think:

"After the installation do the commissioning to put the application/device/plant into operation / into service."

- - -

For "turning to production" I have not found that this is what we mean with "Inbetriebnahme". So I will drop this term.

Thanks so far. But I am still confused that you don't know/use "Commissioning" for putting an factory into operation mode...  ;D

tomos:
Thanks so far. But I am still confused that you don't know/use "Commissioning" for putting an factory into operation mode...  ;D
-AbteriX (June 17, 2014, 04:46 AM)
--- End quote ---

for a factory yes -
what do others think of the use of 'commissioning' for software? (as I said, I'm no expert here)

I mean, there's a difference between just "installing" an application, and be able to really work with it.
(I talk here about software in conjunction with measurement instruments, connected over USB, network or serial cable)

So we have to configure the application and/or the measurement device.

This part, the configuring, doing the settings, connecting the instrument, and so on...,
so the customer can really use the app for work at the end,
is what we call "die Inbetriebnahme" (the Commissioning),
-AbteriX (June 17, 2014, 04:05 AM)
--- End quote ---

(my emphasis)

Tuxman:
I'd call the configuring and "commissioning" part the "configuration", but I'm German anyway.  :D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version