topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 23, 2024, 7:16 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: 2.14.01 startup icon bug  (Read 5847 times)

Midnight Rambler

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
2.14.01 startup icon bug
« on: May 27, 2006, 06:14 PM »
Even though I run 2.14.01, I STILL experience the old icon startup problem: 
1. SC icon appears on task bar necessitating my having to close it via double-click, and
2. SC icon is invisible in system tray where only an empty space appears.

Otherwise, it's the best freeware screen shot capture app available that I've found.

Compaq Presario 5716 (98), Dell Dimension 4700 (XP), Lenovo ThinkPad T530 (Win 7 Pro > Win 10 Pro).

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: 2.14.01 startup icon bug
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2006, 10:09 PM »
i really wish i understood what was causing that strange behavior for you.. i don't know anyone else who sees it..
remind me: do you have a special tray utility or multiple desktop utility?
if you uncheck the "start minimized" option, does it start normally and then let you minimize it to the tray manually?

Midnight Rambler

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2006, 05:42 PM »
do you have a special tray utility or multiple desktop utility?
No
if you uncheck the "start minimized" option, does it start normally and then let you minimize it to the tray manually?
I unchecked the "start minimized" option, rebooted, and found after the program loaded that it no longer appeared on the taskbar but also didn't request minimization to the tray, and that the system tray icon was still invisible.

I run XP Home SP2 BTW, and I've noticed that sometimes, although startup programs load, their icons don't appear in the tray. 

What's odd about SC's behavior is its invisible tray icon.  Somtimes it appears and sometimes it doesn't but there's always space reserved for it in the tray.
Compaq Presario 5716 (98), Dell Dimension 4700 (XP), Lenovo ThinkPad T530 (Win 7 Pro > Win 10 Pro).

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2006, 06:17 PM »
You may want to try repairing your taskbar. I had this problem a while back and it cured these strange icon anomalies. Checkout http://www.kellys-ko...com/taskbarplus!.htm for a repair tool (not free but worth having - all of Kelly's stuff is great and there are lots of freebies).

Also how long is it since you cleaned out the prefetch folder? Sometimes when XP has been running for a long time so much stuff gets into the prefetch folder that it interferes with other things. To clear it go to "Start" and select "Run", type Prefetch and hit OK. A window will open. Simply delete everything in that folder and next time you restart windows a new collection of prefetch items will start to be built.

If you aren't happy doing this there are free tools to clear out prefetch for you on the web do a google search.