ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

PDAs - any use?

<< < (2/9) > >>

jgpaiva:
Usable with one hand - put it on a desk or your knee and its 1 handed. Cf laptop - unless its on your knee or a desk, forget "barely one handed" completely!!
-tsaint (May 27, 2006, 06:20 PM)
--- End quote ---
I meant compared to a cell phone ;)
Needing 2 hands to handle it makes it a bit less handy that a regular cell phone. But i don't consider this as a big issue, other than when driving.

tsaint:
I meant compared to a cell phone ;)-jgpaiva (May 27, 2006, 06:39 PM)
--- End quote ---
Oops - sorry! :D

rjbull:
Thanks, folks!   :Thmbsup:

@Gothi[c]: if they made A5-form-factor laptops with all-flash memory, I'd be interested...

@jgpaiva: smartphones seem to be killing stand-alone PDAs, but they are expensive, and (I think) the screens and keyboards are both small.

@tsaint: Kay Shapero said she downloads novels from Project Gutenberg onto hers and reads them while waiting in line.  Her Web site even has a link for spare screws for Palm Tungsten T series, for people in the US.  Sounds like you get a lot use out of yours.  The instant-on and long battery life sound very appealing.

Josh:
If you are in the arena for a PDA, I would suggest moving to the pocketpc line of products. Not only do you get a familiar interface (windows based in most cases, although there are some linux-based ones), but you get a wider variety of apps and far greater compatibility. I recommend the HP iPaq, they are great little machines.

rjbull:
If you are in the arena for a PDA, I would suggest moving to the pocketpc line of products.
-Josh (May 28, 2006, 03:26 PM)
--- End quote ---

My instant reaction is to say  Palm  just because it isn't Microsoft, but I get the impression that Palm are fading and Pocket PC are rising.  Purely objectively, and only as far as I understand it, the Palm OS is lighter-weight and Palms still give you more bang for your buck.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version