ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

PDAs - any use?

(1/9) > >>

rjbull:
I keep thinking of trying a PDA, most likely a Palm.  This is because I write lots of things down in a Filofax-type notebook, but then I can't find or manipulate them afterwards.  Are PDAs really useful forn that kind of thing?  I get the impression that quite a few people are starting to abandon them, but that those who do are mostly the GTD crowd who find PDAs don't fit what they want.  Whereas, what I want is mostly a portable text snippets database.  And, PDAs are still well above pocket money, if you decide you don't ge on with them.

Thanks...

Gothi[c]:
I never really understood why one would buy a PDA over, say a laptop. The only good use I can think of is to run GPS software,...

jgpaiva:
I never really understood why one would buy a PDA over, say a laptop. The only good use I can think of is to run GPS software,...
-Gothi[c] (May 27, 2006, 04:09 PM)
--- End quote ---
I wouldn't say so, I own a laptop, and i know how uncomfortable it is carrying it around.
I think i could find some use in a pda, as my university has wireless lan, which means i could be online most of the time.
One friend of mine has one pda, and gives much use to it, either to surf the web, listen to music, or just entertain with little games on the way home in the bus.
The thing is.. PDA's are expensive, and i wouldn't buy one.

On the other hand... A smartphone (something like a qtek, couldn't find better link), really is very useful. My father has one, and since he got it, he can't use any other phone anymore. It really is a big advance from normal phones, because of it's fast note/memo-taking, integration of the notes with phone calls and contacts and good calendar management.
I think that for those that have lots of meetings, and always carry with them a paper agenda, this is fantastic solution.
I only find 2 disadvantages: the price, of course, and the fact that it's barelly usable only with one hand, since you have to hold it with one hand, and use the other for the touch-screen pen.

tsaint:
Here are some reasons I use a pda (and I have a laptop btw)...
Convenience:
My pda is approx the size of a pack of cigarettes, my laptop is bulky. I can take it anywhere (including to the bathroom!)
My laptop battery lasts 3 hours if Im lucky, my pda lasts more than a day
I can take a quick photo with my pda, my laptop doesn't take photos
My pda starts instantaneously, my laptop takes some time

What I use it for at school:
Attendance  / grades book at school - using excel compatible software
Photo database of my students at start of semester to assist with names
Jotting down info which won't get lost
Taking minutes at faculty meetings (using a small but effective foldup keyboard)
Displaying fractals to my students
Controlling my laptop via the school network (from another room)
Using graphics calculator software

Non school use:(each of these is no effort or inconvenience with a pda cf my laptop)
Storing heaps of travel info when I go on hols (clipped easily from web)
Storing novels for reading in a tent when I'm camping (no light needed)
Listening to music at night (either stored, or a shoutcast station)
Playing games when I'm waiting for anything
Storing a searchable singapore bus timetable, plus a street directory for singapore
Reference stuff like dictionary, cia world factbook, databases Ive made and/or downloaded
Unit conversions
Shopping list
Addresses
Calendar stuff

tony

tsaint:

On the other hand... A smartphone (something like a qtek, couldn't find better link), really is very useful. My father has one, and since he got it, he can't use any other phone anymore. It really is a big advance from normal phones, because of it's fast note/memo-taking, integration of the notes with phone calls and contacts and good calendar management.
I think that for those that have lots of meetings, and always carry with them a paper agenda, this is fantastic solution.
I only find 2 disadvantages: the price, of course, and the fact that it's barelly usable only with one hand, since you have to hold it with one hand, and use the other for the touch-screen pen.
-jgpaiva (May 27, 2006, 05:54 PM)
--- End quote ---

Price - shop around and there are some quite economical ones (btw filofaxes never struck me as cheap either!)
Usable with one hand - put it on a desk or your knee and its 1 handed. Cf laptop - unless its on your knee or a desk, forget "barely one handed" completely!!

I don't like cell phones so I don't care about that functionality, but for the rest of the planet, combination pda/phone would be ideal.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version