topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 3:46 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Android: (Wired) File Transfers from PC  (Read 40174 times)

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Android: (Wired) File Transfers from PC
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2017, 06:54 AM »
I found this page on Addictive Tips how to set default USB transfer type in Marshmallow:
http://www.addictive...type-in-android-6-0/

It would not let me change it to the USB Ethernet setting.  But I was able to set it to MTP rather than PTP.  Now when I plug it into my Windows Laptop it shows as a media player rather than just an MP3 player.  In any case TeraCopy seems to have no issue with transfers at USB 2.0 speeds.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2017, 08:54 AM »
^^^   
Ialready have a usb keyboard.  The mouse us easier.
With these can transfer data to computer ? as usual , installing a phone data transfer app on your computer or use Android manager , these phone transfer app can help user transfer data from Android to computer ,

Thanks. I have noticed recently several Apps of the type you mention.  After the initial panic I don't feel pressure to do much in the way of file transfer.  Now and then I transfer a folder of MP3s.  But I don't feel that much need to have all my eBooks on every device.  I have them backed up to cloud and thumb drive.  Lately I have been using the Kobo reader and it syncs very well across devices when reading from its online storage.  It just gets a chapter at a time so even if I had to use phone data it's not much of a loss.  I try to minimize phone data use because I only get 500 MB a month.  I use Opera Max to block Apps like the transit trackers that want to just get the info without telling you the WiFi connection dropped etc..

But in the abstract I am interested why some Apps claim they can do fast transfer over Bluetooth when people generally say BT is very slow etc..   :)

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2017, 04:55 PM »
Anyone know how enable MTP mode on Galaxy S6? Can't get the phone being recognized by Samsung Kies even with USB debugging on

Normally, (in almost all Android devices), you pull down the Notification Panel then tap on the one that says Connected as ... when you have the USB cable plugged in.  That should take you to the option to set it for MTP, PTP, Mass Storage, or Charging.

When I have to type in a lot of stuff on my phone and get fed up with fat finger frustration I plug in my USB mouse using the adapter and click on the onscreen keys.  It is way faster since it is pretty much impossible to miss a key with the mouse pointer.  :)

Get a cheap roll up USB silicon keyboard.

I just got an iClever keyboard on prime day.  I had an iGo stowaway before that, but I think because it's getting old in the tooth, even though it would connect, there were some idiosyncrasies.

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2017, 02:18 AM »
Anyone know how enable MTP mode on Galaxy S6? Can't get the phone being recognized by Samsung Kies even with USB debugging on

Normally, (in almost all Android devices), you pull down the Notification Panel then tap on the one that says Connected as ... when you have the USB cable plugged in.  That should take you to the option to set it for MTP, PTP, Mass Storage, or Charging.

When I have to type in a lot of stuff on my phone and get fed up with fat finger frustration I plug in my USB mouse using the adapter and click on the onscreen keys.  It is way faster since it is pretty much impossible to miss a key with the mouse pointer.  :)

Get a cheap roll up USB silicon keyboard.

I just got an iClever keyboard on prime day.  I had an iGo stowaway before that, but I think because it's getting old in the tooth, even though it would connect, there were some idiosyncrasies.

I bought a Periboard about a year ago, that I could use with either my phone or my tablet, so I could actually get work done away from home, when I don't feel like lugging my laptop. Combine it with a text expander app, I'm all set. :)

Hello from McDonald's!

2016-07-23 21.33.09b.jpgAndroid: (Wired) File Transfers from PC

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2017, 03:08 AM »
Any favorite methods for transferring files from PCs?

I use payware Send2Phone (for Android) from AbelsSoft: https://www.abelssoft.de/en/mobile/Android/Send2Phone and https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=de.abelssoft.sendtophone. Back then the offer for me was €10, but now it is €20. The free version allows for 2MB file size, the pay version allows for 100MB file size transfer. AES-256.
There is another version (from a different company) which I haven't tried, but with exact same name.

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: July 21, 2017, 06:05 AM »
Any favorite methods for transferring files from PCs?

These days, Solid Explorer ($0.20 during an App of the Week thing) plus it's FTP Server plugin.

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: July 21, 2017, 08:18 AM »
The Android version of Total Commander with its LAN plugin. Works both with wire and WiFi and is free, but you can donate any money.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: July 21, 2017, 09:03 AM »
The Android version of Total Commander with its LAN plugin. Works both with wire and WiFi and is free, but you can donate any money.

:Thmbsup:

I used it successfully on both Lollipop and Marshmallow.  Pretty straightforward.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #33 on: July 21, 2017, 01:10 PM »
I just unmount my SD card, mount it on my computer, and do my transfers with DOpus. :)

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #34 on: July 21, 2017, 03:56 PM »
I just unmount my SD card, mount it on my computer, and do my transfers with DOpus. :)

That too but since I have to pull the battery to get the uSD card out, I only use for big transfers, (eg. new ROMs).

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #35 on: July 21, 2017, 04:01 PM »

That too but since I have to pull the battery to get the uSD card out, I only use for big transfers, (eg. new ROMs).

Mine is thankfully very easy to pull.  But I made it harder by putting a case on it.  Go figure.

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #36 on: July 24, 2017, 10:39 PM »
I recently had to figure out how to get about 4G of pdf files off my phone and onto my PC. Tried connecting the phone to the PC via USB, but discovered that unless the storage card is formatted as external storage, not all files will be accessible via USB. Some, most notably the ones I wanted to transfer, are not available to access if you have formatted the card as internal storage for your phone.

I ended up finding them on the phone with ES File Explorer (they were hidden in the application folder of the app where they were acquired from and not in my Downloads folder), then uploading them to Google Drive, which then automatically copied them to my PC, so that I could then delete them from my phone with ES File Explorer, move them to a different folder on the PC, and then delete them off my Google Drive.

And I really do have to thank Inspira Technologies, makers of my inexpensive Astrotab A10 tablet, for introducing me to ES File Explorer. It came preinstalled on the tablet and I liked it so much that I installed it on my phone.  :)

Phoenix232

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2017
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #37 on: July 24, 2017, 10:40 PM »
I have been using a simple FTP server on my phone and then I connect to it using Total Commander/FileZilla/WinSCP.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #38 on: July 24, 2017, 10:52 PM »
I've been pretty happy with airdroid.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #39 on: July 25, 2017, 03:43 PM »
I've been pretty happy with airdroid.

It looks interesting.  I installed it on my phone.  I'll try it out soon.   :Thmbsup:

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #40 on: November 27, 2017, 08:08 AM »
Weird, I have used this method on my phone, which is a Huawei P8 with Android 6 (EMIU 4.0.3) and barely anything else installed, and this method works perfectly for me...I use my phone in the same way as I use an USB drive, when it is connected by WiFi or USB cable.

Works almost as easy and fast as on my previous Nokia Lumia phone (which was from an era when Microsoft still put the Nokia name on their Lumia devices).

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #41 on: December 19, 2017, 09:07 AM »
Desktop computers are usually not equipped with a wireless networking card. BlueTooth is also not a given on a desktop. And both of these connections are very slow when compared with transfer speeds accomplished by a cable. A cable already being used to slow-charge the battery in your phone. While writing this down, I realized that the smartphone I currently have been using for 7 months or so, has never been charged with the original phone charger, but with the exact same cable that has been charging my Lumia (still came branded as a Nokia) for four years.

There is no doubt in my mind that Wireless transfer is deemed more popular with the general populace, but when people would take the time to measure transfer speeds between a cable and wireless, they would favor a cabled connection. Then there is the bonus of the battery being charged as well. It takes about 2 hours to get my phone from 20% charge to fully charged.

Since my desktop has 8 USB ports readily available, I don't mind sacrificing one to have my USB transfer/charging cable permanently attached. In about 2 seconds or less my Android  6.0 phone is connected by USB and in my case the phone is configured to act as a standard pen drive after being connected this way. It might take just as long to set up a wireless connection between devices through a wireless connection, but that will drain your battery and takes longer.

WiFi is just a (and definitively not THE) solution for people that don't want to see a cable.