topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 6:49 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Release: sChecklist  (Read 156678 times)

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Release: sChecklist
« Reply #75 on: February 19, 2015, 10:24 AM »
Many thanks. Much better now.  :Thmbsup:
[...]
Anyway, all is fine now.

Right on.  =]  Thanks for reporting back.

Parchuvegal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #76 on: March 10, 2015, 09:08 PM »
skwire, I 1st downloaded this little app a few months (?) ago, but it fell into disuse when I discovered it arbitrarily 'eating' all the entries, under any particular list.  In fact, I was about to remove it altogether, when I discovered your latest, updated release.  So I removed the old, and unpacked this new version (1.1.4), but have once again encountered the same problem.  Namely, on checking the Lists, I found all the items completely gone - never to be found - from one of my lists.  (The 2nd list, of 3.)  Any Idea what could be causing this? 

BTW, I believe I had previously 'cut.' these entries from the 1st List, in order to create the 2nd List, if that means anything at all. 

Warmest regards,
Donnie

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #77 on: March 10, 2015, 09:25 PM »
I'm sorry to hear you're having issues with the application.  If you can provide me with a specific set of repeatable steps to reproduce the issue, I should be able to fix it.

ScreenManiac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2014
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #78 on: March 11, 2015, 09:26 AM »
I can confirm a similar issue to the one reported by Parchuvegal, although I cannot reproduce it anymore. In my case it happened with the old version one time, and although I cannot recall the exact steps, it also had to do with "outsourcing" items from one list to another, completley new list that I had just created. If I remember correctly, the list was created successfully, but then I tried to re-order my lists by drag&drop, which does not work of course. Anyway, somehow I ended up with 2 identical lists, with all the original items of one list gone forever. A very aggravating experience, but since I was unable to reproduce it, I chalked it up to some kind of user error.

What I wished for that time - and still think it might be helpful - auto-backups, so if anything goes wrong, we can revert to the last version before closing down the program and overwriting all lists.

Parchuvegal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #79 on: March 12, 2015, 02:37 PM »
Meant to get back with you sooner, skwire.  The nearest I can tell, is somewhere between possibly running CCleaner, or rebooting following updates, the stuff can go missing.  Almost as though the data is being kept in a temporary - or unprotected - area of memory. (just a novice's impression.)  Could it possibly use a 'save' button - to re-write the data base / text file, to prevent this from happening?  I dunno.  But it's a damnable glitch in such a handy little app.

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #80 on: March 12, 2015, 02:58 PM »
Meant to get back with you sooner, skwire.  The nearest I can tell, is somewhere between possibly running CCleaner, or rebooting following updates, the stuff can go missing.  Almost as though the data is being kept in a temporary - or unprotected - area of memory. (just a novice's impression.)  Could it possibly use a 'save' button - to re-write the data base / text file, to prevent this from happening?  I dunno.  But it's a damnable glitch in such a handy little app.

Just for clarification, is this something you still notice in the latest version?

Parchuvegal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #81 on: March 13, 2015, 02:19 AM »
version 1.1.4 - that is correct.

ScreenManiac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2014
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #82 on: April 24, 2015, 05:04 AM »
Nice-to-have: ESC to hide, irrespective of hotkey, or rather in addition to the hide/show hotkey.

I've become conditioned to pressing ESC to dismiss a window - a habit reinforced by other apps so that I keep doing it without thinking. Only to be reminded countless times a day that this won't do for checklists, here I have to use the toggle-shortcut with modifier keys.

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #83 on: May 04, 2015, 09:46 AM »
Here you go.  Apologies for the delay.   :up:

Website | Download
v1.1.6 - 2015-05-04
    + Added "Escape to minimize" option.  (Thanks, ScreenManiac)

ScreenManiac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2014
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #84 on: May 04, 2015, 02:53 PM »
Thank you so much.
All is good now. Smooth and effortless, plain sailing.  :Thmbsup:

BGM

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • bgmCoder DC
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #85 on: July 10, 2015, 05:19 PM »
Skwire,  I have autosize columns checked in my options, but if I have an entry that is too long it gets trunkated even though I have the gui window big enough.
I would expect it not to trunkate if the GUI is big enough - so the autosize columns needs to resize with the GUI.

[attachimg=#2][/attachimg]
[attachimg=#1][/attachimg]

ScreenManiac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2014
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #86 on: July 12, 2015, 11:28 PM »
I ran into the same problem a while ago. Switching to Details View should help:
DetailsView.jpg

BeenAroundTheBlock

• Participant
  • Joined in 2015
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #87 on: July 19, 2015, 11:49 AM »
Re: disappearing list contents

On a hunch, I did a little exploring.  I looked in the \Program Files\sChecklist folder and found the following: The file "checklists.dat" contains a list of the individual checklists.  The actual individual checklists are separate files (e.g. "Bugs.checklist") in the subfolder "checklists".  I then deleted the .checklist file that contained the actual list of bugs  (\Program Files\sChecklist\checklist\Bugs.checklist).  I did NOT change anything in the master list file (checklists.dat).
Lo and behold, when I ran the program, there was an entry in the left column for Bugs, but the data in the right column (i.e. the actual list) was gone.  My guess is that the list hasn't been changed, it's data file has been deleted!  Since the entry in the checklists.dat file is still there, the program thinks it is a new list and (re)creates a Bugs.checklist file with a zero size.  If I am right, then why a random file with the extension "checklist" would be deleted is a still pretty good mystery.  My first suspect would be any part of the code that causes the individual data file to be deleted.

BeenAroundTheBlock

• Participant
  • Joined in 2015
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #88 on: July 19, 2015, 11:54 AM »
Oops. Forgot the specs:  sChecklist v1.1.6 Bld 1  running on Windows 7.1 Pro x64

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #89 on: July 19, 2015, 12:13 PM »
Non-installer / portable tools shouldn't be placed in a C:\Program Files (sub)directory, as Administrator rights are required to be able to create/change files there (Windows security feature).
Moving all files to f.e. \Portable\sChecklist should give better results.

BeenAroundTheBlock

• Participant
  • Joined in 2015
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #90 on: July 19, 2015, 06:34 PM »
Ath:
I'm not sure if you were commenting on my post or just making a general observation.  Unfortunately, sChecklist doesn't allow the data files to reside anywhere but the \program file\sChecklist subfolder so moving them to another directory is not possible.  That is one of the reasons I have my personal computer set up to run under Administrator mode all the time. 

Note to skwire: being able to designate a different data directory would be a nice option to have - it might also solve the disappearing data problem. I wonder if Parchuvegal and others having that problem are running in Admin mode?

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #91 on: July 20, 2015, 01:46 AM »
I'm not sure if you were commenting on my post or just making a general observation.  Unfortunately, sChecklist doesn't allow the data files to reside anywhere but the \program file\sChecklist subfolder so moving them to another directory is not possible.
-BeenAroundTheBlock (July 19, 2015, 06:34 PM)
I made a general comment on your use of the C:\Program Files folder for 'installation' of portable software: You shouldn't. Then you don't need to turn off UAC for running generic software as it's supposed to run, and other software as safe as possible.
I was trying to say you should move the entire sChecklist application to a different folder.

That is one of the reasons I have my personal computer set up to run under Administrator mode all the time.
-BeenAroundTheBlock (July 19, 2015, 06:34 PM)
As said above: You shouldn't. This is 'less secure' (to use an understatement), as any application, viruses for instance, can now change any file in C:\Program Files without a warning, spreading themselves whenever you start a legit application...

ScreenManiac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2014
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #92 on: July 21, 2015, 04:02 AM »
I made a general comment on your use of the C:\Program Files folder for 'installation' of portable software: You shouldn't.
I fully agree. Besides, I like skwire's handling of paths for portable programs and I hope that all data and config will continue to be kept inside the app's program folder. This makes it really easy to take checklists along whereever you go, simply by copying the folder. No worries, no UAC, no need to deal with user accounts. The program is lightweight enough to be copied as a whole, should you need different user setups.

DeVamp

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • Let the coding begin :-)
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #93 on: November 26, 2015, 02:41 AM »
My Lord Skwire,

Something about the resizing (of columns).

When you resize the app or move the splitter, the column entries in the details view gets resized to 100% width.
Witch is nice :)

But when you use the "View" --> "Reset splitter position", that entries column does not resize to 100% width.

Just a minor hickup in an awesome tool. :)

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #94 on: November 28, 2015, 02:09 PM »
But when you use the "View" --> "Reset splitter position", that entries column does not resize to 100% width.

Some explanation might be in order here.  I use all sorts of tricks and third-party libraries to make AutoHotkey do things that aren't native to it.  The splitter in sChecklist is an example of that and, unfortunately, it's not without its quirks.  There are times when the splitter gets a bit out of whack and the only thing that fixes it is to use the 'Reset splitter position' option and restart the app.  So, hopefully, it's not something that would get used frequently.  Do you use it frequently?

DeVamp

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • Let the coding begin :-)
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #95 on: December 01, 2015, 02:42 AM »
I can perfectly live with it.

Just wanted to let you know. :)

littlecousinjimmy

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #96 on: March 10, 2016, 10:47 AM »
Thanks for this app, which I really love, but I'd just like to add +1 on the disappearing list-contents problem. Happens to me on Win 7 32-bit, not running as admin. Really frustrating. Haven't noticed any pattern in particular, other than if I forget (as usual) to close the program manually before shutting down Windows, the active list will be empty after Windows next starts. All others are intact.

Maybe an option to keep a backup of each file whenever the automatic file-save function is triggered would be a workaround. I guess this would depend on what actions trigger the files to be saved at the minute. Maybe a manual "File | Save" option on the menu would help.

Cheers

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #97 on: March 15, 2016, 12:47 AM »
Hi, littlecousinjimmy, and welcome to the DonationCoder site.

Thanks for this app, which I really love, but I'd just like to add +1 on the disappearing list-contents problem. Happens to me on Win 7 32-bit, not running as admin. Really frustrating.
-littlecousinjimmy (March 10, 2016, 10:47 AM)

Man, this bug will be the death of me.  Would you be willing to try an interim build with a few changes in hopes that it solves the issue for you?

littlecousinjimmy

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #98 on: May 19, 2016, 11:12 AM »
Hi, littlecousinjimmy, and welcome to the DonationCoder site.

Man, this bug will be the death of me.  Would you be willing to try an interim build with a few changes in hopes that it solves the issue for you?

Call me Jimmy :)

Sorry for the delay, I should have ticked "notify me of replies", so I've only just got round to checking this thread again now. I found another app that can be squeezed into doing the same thing, but I'd still prefer sChecklist if I could rely on it, so I would try an interim build if that's still possible.

Thanks

ScreenManiac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2014
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #99 on: June 04, 2016, 01:58 AM »
I found another app that can be squeezed into doing the same thing, but I'd still prefer sChecklist if I could rely on it, so I would try an interim build if that's still possible.
-littlecousinjimmy (May 19, 2016, 11:12 AM)
Would you mind sharing a link to that other app? Portable?
I've been using sChecklist for quite a while, also suffering from the infamous data loss off and on - but luckily it seems to have disappeared with the latest version. I am on Win7 64.