ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Stuff We Feel Like Bitching About

<< < (3/9) > >>

wraith808:
Now however we have the hyper reactive shrinking violet movement's new-think assertion that [affect theatrical crying jag] Words Hurt! [/end theatrical crying jag] ...Which is just flat out retarded on so many levels I can't even begin to try counting them. The whole thing is just devolving into an idiotic witch hunt spearheaded by a bunch of smug completely out of touch with reality assholes that think that they are morally superior simply because they haven't been caught up in their own machine yet.

-Stoic Joker (June 08, 2014, 09:13 AM)
--- End quote ---

The reason we're back around to the words hurt mentality?

Technology.  It was the best of times, it was the worst of times.

People don't have that level of personal connection they had before technology made them 'social'.  And so in the mistaken view that 'we're more social than ever', we equate words with the same sort of level that 'actions' used to be associated with.  While it is true that you can turn harass/stalk people online, I don't see why we don't focus on the actions rather than the words.

Oh, right.  Because words can't hurt you.

Stoic Joker:
People don't have that level of personal connection they had before technology made them 'social'.  And so in the mistaken view that 'we're more social than ever', we equate words with the same sort of level that 'actions' used to be associated with.  While it is true that you can turn harass/stalk people online, I don't see why we don't focus on the actions rather than the words.-wraith808 (June 08, 2014, 01:30 PM)
--- End quote ---

:D And that rather cleanly cuts to the quick of it! :Thmbsup:

electronic communication has made it easier for people to react to each other, and completely incapable of interacting with each other. And it's not that it's necessarily bad that body language, expression, and inflection is/has been stripped away from these types encounters. It's that devoid of these handy cues regarding the actual intent of the speaker...people (or at least a general cross section of them) seem to persist in wanting to reflexively assume the worse about the intentions of their fellow man.

The sadly hysterical part of all this is it is generally done under the banner of tolerance ... Which is of course a strictly enforced utopian ideal ... With a zero tolerance policy.

Renegade:
I don't see why we don't focus on the actions rather than the words.
-wraith808 (June 08, 2014, 01:30 PM)
--- End quote ---

Wandering off a bit, there you remind me about how everyone is expected to be polite and nice to be point of being obsequious when dealing with people that work for companies/organisations that have wronged you. i.e. You get screwed, but you're not allowed to be upset about it.

I get that it's not directly the individual person's fault, but they're the front face of the machine. Perhaps if enough abuse made the job intolerable, it might raise the pay for those people and organisations with problems might actually try to solve them. Not a good solution, but I just can't stand the BS entitlement CS reps seem to have -- they represent the organisation and should take it as such -- if you work for an org that deserves getting yelled at, well, then duh!?

I don't actually yell & scream at people, but I'll certainly say when something is f**ked up, and it ticks me off when some rep says, "I don't appreciate that language." (At that point I want to just start screaming. It's extremely difficult not to.) Yeah, well that's that it is -- f**ked up -- if you don't like the language, FIX IT!

40hz:
Wandering off a bit, there you remind me about how everyone is expected to be polite and nice to be point of being obsequious when dealing with people that work for companies/organisations that have wronged you. i.e. You get screwed, but you're not allowed to be upset about it.
-Renegade (June 08, 2014, 09:28 PM)
--- End quote ---

Seriously? :huh:

I don't get the part where you say "everyone is expected to be polite and nice" and "you're not allowed to be upset" about things.

I don't know where you're sitting. But where I live hardly anyone expects to be polite or nice about anything they don't like. And I haven't run into anyone (yet) that seems to feel the need to get permission before getting upset. Flying off the handle at the drop of a hat, and being just plain petulant and rude, seems to be more the norm around here.

You must live in a far more mannerly locale than I do.  ;D

Stoic Joker:
@40hz

I don't actually yell & scream at people, but I'll certainly say when something is f**ked up, and it ticks me off when some rep says, "I don't appreciate that language." (At that point I want to just start screaming. It's extremely difficult not to.) Yeah, well that's that it is -- f**ked up -- if you don't like the language, FIX IT!-Renegade (June 08, 2014, 09:28 PM)
--- End quote ---

I believe he is referring more specifically to this particular - really annoying moral high ground - tactic being used to try and shame someone into curbing their aggression when they're complaining about getting bent over by big faceless corporation X. I too have encountered this on occasions when I didn't quite feel up to being tactful about some idiots failure to pry their head out of their ass.  Which oddly enough is almost the exact phrasing used the last time I encountered this passive aggressive nonsense.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version