topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 3:46 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: EditPad Pro 6  (Read 4919 times)

allen

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
EditPad Pro 6
« on: May 27, 2006, 07:26 AM »
I've been beta testing EditPad Pro version 6 for a number of months now and have been very enthusiastic about the release -- many of the features lacking in this already stellar editor have been implemented.  The biggest additions, or at least the ones I've most commonly heard listed as shortcomings by other users, is full macro support and an extensive upgrade to its external tools support including full support of standard I/O.

There is a free trial version available -- price goes up in July, so buy it now if you love it :)

Below is the list of major additions, scraped from the version history page.

• New file panel (View menu) showing a tree of files inside projects. This makes it much easier to manage large numbers of files.
  • New explorer panel (View menu) making it easy to open files without going through File|Open.
  • FTP support (View menu). Open files from FTP, save files to FTP and upload/download files from/to disk.
  • File history (View menu). Easily manage and compare backup files. New backup options in Options, Preferences, Files.
  • File navigator (View menu) showing an outline of the file's structure, based on fully editable .jgfns files. The .jgfns file can also generate automatic text folding points.
  • Keystroke macros: Record and play back sequences of keystrokes and/or menu items to automate repetitive editing tasks.
  • Redesigned search-and-replace panel, with all commands and options now available through the new Search menu.
  • Improved rectangular block editing or column editing, with many new commands in the Block menu. Rectangular selections are now truly rectangular. They no longer need to start and end at a character, but can extend beyond the end of the line.
  • Redesigned Project functionality. EditPad Pro can now keep multiple projects open. Once saved into an .epp file, changes to a project are saved automatically.
  • Extra|Compare Files: New output options that can be used in addition to or instead of creating a new tab with the merged contents. Highlight changes in the original files, create a new file with only removed lines, with only added lines, with only removed lines, with both added and removed lines, or with only lines that both files have in common.
  • Fold menu: A block of text can now be folded, keeping only the first line visible. File navigation schemes can define automatic folding points. Commands to copy only the visible lines in the selection to the clipboard, and to delete all the lines in the selection that were made invisible by the code folding.
  • Improved syntax coloring. All JGsoft-supplied schemes are now fully editable .jgcscs files. Syntax coloring is now applied in the background. If your scheme is too complex or the file too large, syntax coloring will temporarily disappear rather than temporarily locking up EditPad Pro.
  • External tools can now be configured through Tools|Configure Tools instead of Options|Preferences. A great number of new options, including a new message panel with syntax coloring, are now available.
  • Install on Removable Drive command, so you can carry EditPad with you wherever you go.

Link: EditPad Pro

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: EditPad Pro 6
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2006, 07:55 AM »
Great editor - I'm a big fan too. Upgrade prices are a bit on the high side though given the free alternatives out there.

allen

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2006, 10:33 AM »
I've never put much thought into the price, as for me the value has always outweighed it -- I would have appreciated an additional beta discount though :P

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2007, 01:27 AM »
Wow - love it! I finally broke down and bought a licence today. I love jgsoft products (even if I only utilise about 0.1% of their capabilities  :-[). Thanks Allen!

dluby

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2007, 02:33 AM »
I've being using EditPadPro for years and I find it great. I too beta tested the latest version and got no discount, oh well.

What I do like though is that the author Jan, listens to your requests and more often than not, you'll find them incorporated in the next release.