topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 5:04 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: WinXP registry hack enables further security updates  (Read 10712 times)

Midnight Rambler

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
WinXP registry hack enables further security updates
« on: May 31, 2014, 12:11 PM »
Say what you want about PC World but I followed the advice in this article, "Windows XP registry hack keeps security updates rolling for the dead operating system" and windows update found four extra updates for my WinXP SP3 box:

http://i469.photobucket.com/albums/rr55/Klaatu_photo/5-31-14updateresults.png

Installed, rebooted and everything seems fine so far.
Compaq Presario 5716 (98), Dell Dimension 4700 (XP), Lenovo ThinkPad T530 (Win 7 Pro > Win 10 Pro).

rgdot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: WinXP registry hack enables further security updates
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2014, 02:27 PM »
I am asking because I haven't tried it (and don't intend to, to be honest):

Do Office products run/get updates in POS version?

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2014, 03:07 PM »
Microsoft says "Don't do it" because the updates are actually for different versions of Windows (though, admittedly, 'variants' of XP) and may be a bit on the unsafe side:
http://www.tomshardw...-embedded,26882.html
http://www.cnet.com/...ws-xp-security-hack/

Make of that what you will, I'm only interested because my lovely wife is still on XP, and is seriously considering letting me install Linux on her creaky desktop  :tellme:

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2014, 04:58 PM »
I did it for this round, because there's only like 20 tech mags out there and hundreds of millions of XP users right? So when a couple of them did it themselves and it worked, they didn't get 55,000 angry "you suk" messages back.

Maybe not the way to go forever but to me it's gotta be a shade better than just a growing black hole.

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2014, 06:24 PM »
I'm actually with you on that, but how long before the "Non-Windows XP" updates come out that will not install on anything but Embedded and Server 2003?  I do believe that time is coming...

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2014, 07:03 PM »
I'm actually with you on that, but how long before the "Non-Windows XP" updates come out that will not install on anything but Embedded and Server 2003?  I do believe that time is coming...

I agree, and I do not know. I am playing a bit of a dance on trusting the mags/scuttle between today this hack works, vs whatever random time MS sends a "land mined" update the net will start screaming. At its best that IS what the Net does best now - it's a lot harder to play dirty tricks and cover them up for long.

So yes it's not perfect but for millions of us who simply cannot update, it's better than the growing gaping hole.

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2014, 08:06 AM »
Here's the thing. Have you ever seen the sometimes very intricate tutorial instructions for using Server X as a workstation? That's the kind of deeply buried problems that are going to be had from this hack.

POS systems are like servers, with less options. So the thing(s) that these updates will break are going to be very subtle, and buried very deeply in the system's code.

So... Be very sure to make backups before using any of these updates, and plan on saving them for a fairly long time.

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2014, 08:11 AM »
When there are children in middle school that are younger than your OS, it might be time to consider upgrading. :)

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2014, 09:14 AM »
Here's the thing. Have you ever seen the sometimes very intricate tutorial instructions for using Server X as a workstation? That's the kind of deeply buried problems that are going to be had from this hack.

POS systems are like servers, with less options. So the thing(s) that these updates will break are going to be very subtle, and buried very deeply in the system's code.

So... Be very sure to make backups before using any of these updates, and plan on saving them for a fairly long time.

Eek. I didn't, so I guess I am just going to have to hope to get lucky! But since I don't have the chops to really mess around fixing something like that, maybe I have learned my lesson and will leave them alone now.

I'm at a down point my life where I don't really need my comp tanking. I might need y'all's help later with advice on this including maybe having someone write a "reverse" reg file to revert the old value of the registry or something.

Midnight Rambler

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2014, 11:12 AM »
I am playing a bit of a dance on trusting the mags/scuttle between today this hack works, vs whatever random time MS sends a "land mined" update the net will start screaming.

Good point about landmines.  Maybe best strategy is to: 1) hold-off on further auto-updates until enough time passes without screams, and 2) backup the registry before installation.  As for the four updates mentioned in my initial post, I found no complaints so far except from MS who wants users to spend more money a newer OS.

Should add that today, the day following installation of the four updates, my net connection didn't work initially and avast! AV acted strangely even after a warm reboot.  Then did a cold boot and here I am.  Thinking that perhaps avast! needed to "analyze" how my system changed and then decided it was okay after all.
Compaq Presario 5716 (98), Dell Dimension 4700 (XP), Lenovo ThinkPad T530 (Win 7 Pro > Win 10 Pro).

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2014, 12:08 PM »
Eek. I didn't [make backups]

no system restore?
Tom

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2014, 03:06 PM »

no system restore?

Yeah I did do one of those. But I thought those got deleted eventually. I didn't have any problems yet and I figured Stoic's comment talked about months later.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2014, 03:24 PM »

no system restore?

Yeah I did do one of those. But I thought those got deleted eventually. I didn't have any problems yet and I figured Stoic's comment talked about months later.

yeah, that's the choice I guess:
[sing operatically] it's now or never.... [/sing operatically]
 :)
Tom

Midnight Rambler

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2014, 10:04 AM »
XP box's Win Update found five more today:

http://i469.photobucket.com/albums/rr55/Klaatu_photo/6-11-14_FiveMore.png

Debating whether to hold-off installing.  Software Removal Tool - June 2014 is the only definite one.

Aside from this issue, posting images in this forum has become rather confusing.

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2014, 01:19 PM »
Yeah I just found those too, and they made me nervous compared to the prev updates as discussed in that original sensational article.

"Security Updates for XP" from the first set has a way different sound than "Update for Wepos and POSready 2009".

So I turned Auto Update totally off for now. And per my initial comment, that original article was all news of the week, but it's much harder to find info on what these new ones are doing for people who took that initial suggestion!

Midnight Rambler

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2014, 06:01 PM »
Just searched "Security Update for Wepos and POSready 2009" and found no complaints about loss of functionality from those who've installed the hack (except from MS) and these latest updates.  Will probably give it another week before seriously considering installing the remaining four although the third listed (for IE7) looks quite definite. 

Midnight Rambler

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2014, 09:13 AM »
Windows XP “SP4.” Saves me anyway from buying a fifth box.  Hack has worked so far so maybe hold-off installing this until it's out of beta.