ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

TrueCrypt alternative

<< < (3/14) > >>

40hz:
2. Why use containers anyway? Use EncFS.
-Tuxman (May 31, 2014, 05:11 AM)
--- End quote ---
Portability.
-x16wda (May 31, 2014, 07:53 AM)
--- End quote ---

ding ding ding
-wraith808 (May 31, 2014, 10:37 AM)
--- End quote ---

Precisely. Easy to install and easy to use were TC's biggest selling points for the average user. People that preferred an encrypted file system instead of an encrypted container approach went with Bitlocker and similar tools.

Tuxman:
How's EncFS not portable?

x16wda:
I should have said easy portability, just one file for a TrueCrypt volume.

EncFS4win has more pieces & parts to the program, and individually encrypted files. Looks like you could use Boxcrypt (which appears to be a gui for EncFS4win) to make it easier, but then you are limited to 2gb of stuff unless you want to pay.  

Tuxman:
One file for a volume - and TrueCrypt itself. Now what?

Midnight Rambler:
Helpful and not too long article on this topic from a credible source: The life and untimely demise of TrueCrypt.

Excerpt: My recommendation to current TrueCrypt users? Don’t panic! But also don’t deploy any new versions of TrueCrypt; simply maintain what you have. Based on the OCAP audit, TrueCrypt does not have any back doors and still provides secure encryption that can’t be easily cracked.

Article also references BitLocker (again!) and 7-Zip.  Think I'll just stick with v7.1a for now.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version