ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

TrueCrypt is Now Abandonware?!

<< < (9/16) > >>

mwb1100:
And that license has since been changed. The new license makes no provision for using any part of TC's code (which is available) in (or for) something else.
-40hz (May 30, 2014, 10:15 AM)
--- End quote ---

The 7.1a release is licensed under the TrueCrypt License Version 3.0, which seems to permit forks (even if it's not truly an open source license due to attribution and renaming clauses or other restrictions).  As far as I know, the license that TrueCrypt 7.2 was released under wouldn't apply to the 7.1a release.

40hz:
And that license has since been changed. The new license makes no provision for using any part of TC's code (which is available) in (or for) something else.
-40hz (May 30, 2014, 10:15 AM)
--- End quote ---

The 7.1a release is licensed under the TrueCrypt License Version 3.0, which seems to permit forks (even if it's not truly an open source license due to attribution and renaming clauses or other restrictions).  As far as I know, the license that TrueCrypt 7.2 was released under wouldn't apply to the 7.1a release.

-mwb1100 (May 30, 2014, 10:37 AM)
--- End quote ---

All of the TC licenses have been questioned by various Linux/FOSS groups. Several attorneys characterized the licenses as "a legal minefield" and "misleading."

I really can't see anybody (in a position to do so) wanting to have anything to do with TC going forward. The encryption methods are well known, and there are a lot of good programmers out there. What TC brought to the party was a simple GUI and easily installable binaries. It primarily made some complex technology accessible to the masses. Praiseworthy - but nothing that couldn't be done by others.

TrueCrypt's codebase is not essential for anything. There are already existing projects (e.g. tc-play and others) that have been released under genuine FOSS licensing. These could just as easily be used to provide the same functionalities TrueCrypt formerly offered - or to create entirely new encryption products.

I personally think TrueCrypt got used as much as it did for three very simple reasons: (1) It worked. (2) It was easy to install. (3) It was easy to use. None of that is something that couldn't be accomplished by other coders. Especially with the talent pool that's out there.

And it will.

So vaya con Dios, TrueCrypt...

So long, and thanks for all the fish. :Thmbsup: ;)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note: the thing that really makes this story interesting is wondering what actually went down.

Especially if it was another "Lavabit situation." Because if it was, it's something we all need to be concerned about.

J-Mac:
I have the setup files for TC 7.0a and 7.0a1 if anyone is interested.

Jim

CWuestefeld:
I just can't see that the means of announcing this is in character for this project. It just doesn't make sense to recommend BitLocker (given suspicion of MS being sympathetic to gov't surveillance), or to completely ignore Unix and Mac users. I think there's something more than meets the eye.

I’m giving equal odds between:

* Warrant canaryw (“we’re not saying that we’re being forced to introduce a vulnerability, but we have reason to believe that users of this program may be in danger”). While difficult to add an actual backdoor, it may be that they're being pressured to put a flaw into their PRG code or something subtle like that.
* The developer(s) is in a snit, maybe because of the trouble of the audit, and just wants to burn it all down
* The developer just wants to move on, and is taking an opportunity to make a political statement by stepping out in this way (like the Reichstag fire – cause the damage yourself, but make it look like your enemy caused it)

mwb1100:
All of the TC licenses have been questioned by various Linux/FOSS groups.
-40hz (May 30, 2014, 11:37 AM)
--- End quote ---

Just for future reference, here's one of the better posts I came across about problems with the TC license. It's for license version 2.5 in this particular case - I have no idea if any of these issues were addressed by TC license v3.0 used by TC v 7.1a:

- http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/distributions/2008-October/000276.html

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version