ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

TrueCrypt is Now Abandonware?!

<< < (8/16) > >>

wraith808:
I have a "Truecrypt Setup.exe" 7.1a on my XP. If that's not ok I believe Filehippo keeps some old versions. http://www.filehippo.com/download_truecrypt/
-rgdot (May 30, 2014, 09:52 AM)
--- End quote ---

I got a 7.1a from FileHippo and I'll check it when I get home.  If it's not good, then I might be asking you for your setup file ;)

I only use containers.. and bitlocker doesn't help with that.  *sigh*

How long before this is forked?  I mean, the source *was* available, right?

40hz:
I lost the race to 40hz  :P
-rgdot (May 30, 2014, 09:53 AM)
--- End quote ---

I probably only had the jump because I've had clients all in a tizzy start e-mailing me about this beginning at 5:00 this morning -  so I've had time to go look.  ;D

I can't sympathize too much with their moaning. Much as I like TrueCrypt, I've warned them repeatedly to be cautious about deploying or depending on it since (a) AFAIK nobody really knows who's behind it; and (b) it's a 'free' product - and sometimes free products just disappear without warning leaving you high and dry.

Guess I was right on both points. :huh:

I hate it when that happens. ;)

wraith808:
Theres some archived stuff at the bottom of https://www.grc.com/misc/truecrypt/truecrypt.htm
-Jibz (May 30, 2014, 10:01 AM)
--- End quote ---

Wow, thanks!  That's a very useful link!

I can't sympathize too much with their moaning. Much as I like TrueCrypt, I've warned them repeatedly to be cautious about deploying or depending on it since (a) AFAIK nobody really knows who's behind it; and (b) it's a 'free' product - and sometimes free products just disappear without warning leaving you high and dry.

Guess I was right on both points. :huh:
-40hz (May 30, 2014, 10:05 AM)
--- End quote ---

Not with OSS :)  Which is why I lean towards that for free software that I'm really going to integrate into my workflow.

The mistake these developers made was in believing that they still “owned” TrueCrypt, and that it was theirs to kill.

--- End quote ---

40hz:
How long before this is forked?  I mean, the source *was* available, right?
-wraith808 (May 30, 2014, 10:04 AM)
--- End quote ---

As previously mentioned, TC was never released under a standard FOSS license. And that license has since been changed. The new license makes no provision for using any part of TC's code (which is available) in (or for) something else. Most lawyers think TC cannot be legally forked given the license it's under.

Such is the danger of taking the label "free open-source software" as read without looking into the actual license that applies. Anybody can call anything a FOSS project without incurring any legal obligation or liability. And many individuals and companies (including Microsoft and Oracle) routinely use the word "open" to mislead and muddy up the waters.

Caveat emptor! And beware of geeks bearing gifts. :tellme:

40hz:
Not with OSS :)  Which is why I lean towards that for free software that I'm really going to integrate into my workflow.

-wraith808 (May 30, 2014, 10:10 AM)
--- End quote ---

You're probably a better coder than I'll ever be. There are several OSS products I depend on that I'd be forced to abandon unless somebody else continues to maintain them. Because I certainly couldn't. And also why I send them a check.

Having source available is all well and good. In theory. But unless you have the chops to maintain and develop it yourself - or the money to single-handedly fund ongoing work on it - once the project's dev team quits the field you’re up the proverbial creek. Or at least I'd mostly be. ;D YMMV ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version