ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

TrueCrypt is Now Abandonware?!

(1/16) > >>

J-Mac:
Their webpage at SourceForge now contains this "cryptic" message:

WARNING: Using TrueCrypt is not secure as it may contain unfixed security issues

This page exists only to help migrate existing data encrypted by TrueCrypt.

The development of TrueCrypt was ended in 5/2014 after Microsoft terminated support of Windows XP. Windows 8/7/Vista and later offer integrated support for encrypted disks and virtual disk images. Such integrated support is also available on other platforms (click here for more information). You should migrate any data encrypted by TrueCrypt to encrypted disks or virtual disk images supported on your platform.

--- End quote ---

http://truecrypt.sourceforge.net/

And this article at BoingBoing explains why:

http://boingboing.net/2014/05/29/mysterious-announcement-from-t.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Jim

40hz:
My best guesses:

Whoever was developing TrueCypt

* is scared to death of being 'outed' for several (probably valid) reasons
* has been threatened by some intelligence agency
* has started working for some intelligence agency
* was already working for some intelligence agency - and TrueCrypt was one of its products all along
* completed their mission and will soon board the flying saucer that will return to their homeworld
I think these are all equally likely considering how cagey and reluctant the developers of True Crypt were about anybody ever knowing who they were...

;) ;D 8)

J-Mac:
 ;D
Nice post!  I didn't know much about the issues with the developers, which is why I posted only the links. I had heard that they had opened a "back door" for the NSA but didn't know the details.

Whatever the case, I guess a lot of folks will now be scrambling for a new encryption program.

Jim

40hz:
Of course, it could also be a prank if somebody got their key...just sayin'

40hz:
Whatever the case, I guess a lot of folks will now be scrambling for a new encryption program.
-J-Mac (May 29, 2014, 05:35 AM)
--- End quote ---

Change "will now be" to "are" and you're spot on the sugar. :Thmbsup:

But seriously...who knows?

If TrueCrypt works - but people start distrusting and ultimately abandon it - the spooks win.

If the spooks already own it, they'll just slip something else in (because there's always a Plan-B with those guys) so they win again.

The big problem is we're using technology that wasn't intended or designed to be secure. And everything we do to try to make it secure is bolted and duct taped on.

If we're serious, the entire global network - and probably at least 85% of the rest of our computer technology - needs to be re-engineered from the ground up.

Problem is, with a project that massive, gremlins and backdoors are bound to sneak in. And the disruption and expense such a project would entail - and the degree of cooperation and gooodwill needed to keep it from becoming a joke - makes it unlikely to the point of "that is so not gonna happen."

Besides - signal privacy and security aren't technical problems - they're "people problems." And as long as invasions of privacy are tolerated (when not condoned) somebody somewhere will try snooping.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version