topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 8:50 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Google's new Inbox powered by Gmail  (Read 3176 times)

Mizraim

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Google's new Inbox powered by Gmail
« on: October 24, 2014, 12:40 PM »
Has anyone heard of or have access to this?

I personally always try to get in on new 'Google Action', and even got in on their Google Glass when it was by invitation only, but couldn't afford the steep $1500 price tag. Anyway, if you're in, and have any extra invites, I would love to have one.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Google's new Inbox powered by Gmail
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2014, 12:56 PM »
There are two things about this new project from google that I find offensive:

First, the obnoxiousness of calling it "Inbox". Only a company like google or apple, with sufficient marketing muscle, money and willingness to bully, could get away with using such a common generic term and trying to co-opt it to refer to their product.
Second, and much more obnoxious, is the fact that it can only be run on the google Chrome browser.  When Microsoft used to play these tricks to force people to adopt their tools and kill off competition, we decried it as evil.. Google seems to think the rules don't apply to them.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2014, 03:30 PM by mouser »

Jibz

• Developer
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2014, 03:25 PM »
I agree with Inbox being a silly name. It looks like it's primarily a mobile app (there is even an iphone version), so perhaps that is part of the reason it doesn't support all browsers.

Just speculating :-[.

Dormouse

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2014, 07:58 AM »
I don't really see the problem - though I only know the tiny bits I have seen on the net.

Seems to be another Google beta project, in this case a supplement to gmail, primarily for use on mobiles.
Possibly competes with some other mobile email apps, but no impact on desktop. Apparently only a crude version so far on ChromeOS, so not at all surprising that it only works as a Chrome extension: it's not really standalone except on Android & iOS.

Half agree about the name, but it makes some sort of sense if it is seen as an optional component of gmail.