topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 2:24 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Linux Glass  (Read 6485 times)

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Linux Glass
« on: May 28, 2014, 03:02 PM »
http://www.noobslab....-glass-theme-on.html

Maybe it's old hat.  I don't know.  But I've just started to putter with Linux again.  It's nice to see a Glass Theme.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Linux Glass
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2014, 03:22 PM »
Ayyyy.  Looks like the Cinnamon links are old.  :(

Anyone else find some current Glass that looks this cool?

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2014, 07:09 PM »
If I turn on compositing in Xfce, I have pretty good control over what is transparent and what is not, and by how much.  Not a look I could really get into, but with the right theme, it was pleasant.  Compositing usually runs with a lot of overhead and isn't supported by the open-source AMD driver, and for the life of me I can't get the proprietary drivers to work on my video card, so for now, I can't run compositing to make any suggestions.

Nice pics though, thanks for sharing!  :Thmbsup:

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2014, 05:24 AM »
Thanks for the info.  :)

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2014, 10:37 AM »
Wow! The Tempered Glass Mint theme for Cinnamon. Does anybody actually use it as their regular desktop theme? With bifocals my eyes can't seem to decide if they want to focus on the background image below the glass, or the text/icons in the foreground. I can't look at it for more than 20 minutes without starting to feel some eye strain.  :(  

Sure is pretty though. :)

(But I do like those flat monochrome icons. Very much indeed. :Thmbsup:)

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2014, 11:36 AM »
Wow! That is cool, but can the taskbar be kept at the bottom instead of (the Mac-ish) at the top of the screen?

I can't look at it for more than 20 minutes without starting to feel some eye strain.

That's because cool new things aren't designed for old blind people. :D How the hell did you get bifocals? I keep getting talked into these %#$! "Progressive" lenses that just drive me nutz. I have to take them off while at the computer or I'm afraid my neck will snap while I bobble my head trying to hunt for the right spot in the channel where the screen will supposedly "clear".

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2014, 12:33 PM »
I can't look at it for more than 20 minutes without starting to feel some eye strain.

That's because cool new things aren't designed for old blind people. :D
-Stoic Joker (May 29, 2014, 11:36 AM)

Ah! That explains it. I'm guilty on that score. ;D :P

I keep getting talked into these %#$! "Progressive" lenses that just drive me nutz.
-Stoic Joker (May 29, 2014, 11:36 AM)

Actually, mine were called progressive "bifocal" lenses. (Sorry for the confusion if I used the wrong term.) Supposedly that means they progress between two distinct strengths as opposed to some that have a specific third strength (trifocal?) somewhere in them. Or so it was "explained" to me when I got mine.

It took me a few days to teach just my eyes to move instead of my entire head in order to find the sweet spot. Guess I'm just lucky. My GF can use them too. But her Mom, my Mom, my two sisters, and three of our friends absolutely can't stand progressive lenses. They've all got the ones with "the line" and a top and bottom.

But I also had an incentive. My pair cost a lot. I don't have optical coverage, so I really couldn't afford to go back and get a different pair if I didn't like what I ordered. And since I need glasses for just about everything, I really had no choice but to figure out how to use them and adapt.

So it goes. ;D
« Last Edit: May 29, 2014, 12:39 PM by 40hz »

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2014, 01:34 PM »
I'd probably like the transparency for something that's only going to be showing for a short time.  Like if I hit Winkey pause to get at advanced features or whatnot.

I actually surf the net quite often in a W7 VM just because W8 is so lame.  I have the Big Muscle transparency mod to keep me sane.  But I don't get using drab and flat unless I'm on some really tight ram allowance.  Like running TurboVision on Dos or something.  :)

Edit: with my eyes I don't think glasses will help.  They keep changing their mind what's wrong with them.  I know if I went to an optometrist they would change right after (s)he wrote the prescription.  :)  They're probably pissed because I don't let them stare at hot chicks as much as they want to.  :)

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2014, 01:51 PM »
Boy, and here I was all ready to be jealous that you'd gotten a pair of the good old fashion lined bifocals. I always thought the round reading segment lenses looked cool as hell back when I was in an optical surfacing lab. But I didn't need a multifocal lens back then so I couldn't try them properly.

With progressives as the curves change you end up with a trifocal like effect regardless of what was being shot for to start with. The cheaper progressives tend to have narrower channels and more distortion of peripheral vision when you try to look to the side without moving your head. This is a bit dangerous for driving me thinks as having to wag your head back and forth constantly becomes painful rather quickly. And of course the higher my add power goes the worse the peripheral distortion gets.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

@MilesAhead - Are you diabetic by chance? Frequent changes in vision is an indicator of diabetes.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2014, 02:02 PM »
@MilesAhead - Are you diabetic by chance? Frequent changes in vision is an indicator of diabetes.

Please don't say unlucky things.  :)
I'm perfectly healthy if you don't count boredom as a malady.  :)

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2014, 02:41 PM »
Sorry, I wasn't trying to be a harbinger of ill man, it's genuine concern. I worked in optical for 5 years with my wife and saw how things played out first hand then. If someone's vision started changing a bit to frequently, the doctors recommended people get their sugar checked. Some chose to have theirs checked, and some died. Now I'm out of that and into IT but the wife is a Medical Assistant for a large group of doctors, and has been for a decade or so. She sees this type of thing constantly ... If caught early it's no big deal to treat, but...

An eyeglass prescription is considered to be expired after 2 years. So in that period of time a change is highly expected. But if one's vision is changing in the 6 month or less range..(see above).

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2014, 03:15 PM »
It's my supposition that life expectancy rises as the square of the distance from people in the health care business in South Florida.  I'm sure there are honest well meaning people in it. But just like when you fix your car, the guy in the overalls may be honest, but the management may push pressure sales tactics.

If it ain't broke I don't want to fix it.
If they don't find anything wrong with you they run more tests.
As Curly Howard used to say "If at first you don't succeed, keep
on suckin' 'til you do suck seed."  :)

I've had enough of the health care business after taking care of parents with non curable ailments thank you.