ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Problem:1 cable modem 150/20 mbps & 1 fiber line 5/5mbps how to distribute best

(1/4) > >>

questorfla:
Situation is a stated.  We have those two separate sources.  The fiber is where they threw us off.  New install, new building.  we are first fiber user. They put in a  24 port capable switch at their demarcation point,  We were the ONLY users.  Somebody forgot to cap the ports.
We got 5mbps for our phone system and .... well it looks like ALL the rest for our Fiber switch. This was a regular off-label 8 port unmanaged gigabit switch and all5 systems connected to it shows 100+ on multiple tests at multiple times of day.  needless to say, we had NO bandwidth issues

Until recently,  The problem was that I have always used OPEN DNS or GOOGLE DNS as they are always MANY times faster than COX's DNS (They are our provider)

A week ago we started getting all kinds of DNS issues.  somewhere back up the line cox DNS link had blown out a ram module and after than our dns ran to nothing. 

<< ADDED:  We have also been informed that NO MORE Freedom of DNS.  EVERY system MUST USE ONY COX DNS!! No OpenDNS  No Google even though they are MUCH faster!

No options!!.  If I try ANYTHING but the COX DNS it  I get windows error saying unable to contact dns server.  I was told it was a "security thing" but I have not heard from anywhere as to what this is or why

WHen they came in to check, they found the "error" and capped us back to 5gbps.  Unfortunately by them we ha offloaded a bunch of our files to cloud access.

20 workstations using cloud storage instead of a local server was convenient and worked fine at 120/120mbps+ but not so good at 5mbps.
The upgrade to fiver to PAY for 120 was MEGAbux,  But we could get 150/20 CABLE and did.

However:  the same feed into the same switch ended up at 5gbps on the systems after running through the same switches that had been running fine on the fiber.
Cable tech blames the switch and shows me where it drops off after the first Gigabit switch as though it was only a 100MBIT switch.  He says it is due to it being an "Unmanaged" switch.

Even though it worked fine on Fiber,  Wont work right on cable.
However.  If I run the cable into a gigabit Router with combined gigabit switch.  each output feed DOES get full 150.  If I add switches after router, it STAYS at 150.

The problem is, I have to provide this input to systems which normally pulled from the switch after the cable modem so I could have the static IP's for each system.

If I run them through router, I am confused about the ability to have separate IPS on each device,  These are small webservers and must have static IP plus have
required ports passed through to be a webserver.

I will try to draw up a ma and upload it but I am still a bit fuzzy on how I can get full bandwidth through a router but drop to 5mbps through a switch.

Any Info on this appreciated.  I need to know the best way to split up the output from a cable modem so hat all devices show close to max as possible.
What combination and what layout would do that.

Next part is  one of the static GOES to the office router which feeds maybe 30 workstations.

in my original setup, ALL showed almost full speed in every speed test .  Now all show 5mbps.

Is anyone out there well schooled enough in this to tell me if I am getting a load of bs?
And if not, how can I fix?

40hz:
Only have time for a quick reply right now.

Regarding the DNS lock-in:

It's not that common - but it's also not unheard of for a Cable or Telco ISP to want you to use their DNS servers. If that's their new rule for which they won't grant any exceptions - and you don't want to switch ISPs - you're out of luck. If it becomes a real hassle you can always install a proxy server (like Squid) in your office to cache DNS queries and provide some speed up there.

FWIW, not letting you use your own choice of DNS servers in the name of their network's security is a bit of a stretch. I'm guessing it's more for your ISP to gather data on browsing patterns, block certain queries or sites, cap bandwidth to things like Netflix (and so much for "net neutrality" right?) or for something similar they've instituted that new rule. Your choice of DNS servers can't (well ok...shouldn't) really do anything to jeopardize their network's security. Even if you hit a DNS server that's been 'poisoned.' So nope...the official 'reason' they're giving you doesn't pass muster in my book.

8)

-----------------------------------

Addendum: when you do show us your network map, also include the make/model of the routers and switches you're using? That would be very helpful to know. :) :Thmbsup:

Stoic Joker:
However:  the same feed into the same switch ended up at 5gbps on the systems after running through the same switches that had been running fine on the fiber.
Cable tech blames the switch and shows me where it drops off after the first Gigabit switch as though it was only a 100MBIT switch.  He says it is due to it being an "Unmanaged" switch.-questorfla (May 21, 2014, 02:35 AM)
--- End quote ---

Thanks for that, I like to start my morning with a good laugh. A switch being managed or unmanaged has absolutely nothing to do with it's backbone speed. Managed switches just offer one the ability to segment traffic to mitigate congestion from spreading so a few bad apples can't take down the entire broadcast zone.

Chances are that the switch is getting feed a network frame type (packet size if you will) that it can't handle causing it to badly fragment the traffic flowing across it.

Even though it worked fine on Fiber,  Wont work right on cable.
However.  If I run the cable into a gigabit Router with combined gigabit switch.  each output feed DOES get full 150.-questorfla (May 21, 2014, 02:35 AM)
--- End quote ---

As above theory suggested, this says jumbo packet size definition mismatch to me ... That sound about right to you too 40hz?

On a side note, if you have two ISP's and a DNS preference (I'm an OpenDNS fan too), bring both providers together into a dual WAN router and then configure the router to route all the DNS requests out through the one that isn't being an ass.

Shades:
Malfunctioning port on the switch could be a problem. If you were using the WAN port of the switch, it could be capped, so try another port. Try a different cable (following a different route) might help as well. Without knowing how your LAN looks, that would be things to look at.  A year or so ago I could lay my hands on a very affordable Zyxel 24-port switch that included basic managing options. Works really nice.

As suggested in another post, get a good PC with old single-core specs and install Untangle on it. You have fiber and cable coming in, so get 3x 1GBit NIC's into that PC. 2 for for incoming signals and one for your LAN. Feed the LAN output cable into a normal port of your switch and use the switch to connect all workstations.

Configure DHCP on the Untangle box so every workstation will receive their static IP address from the Untangle DHCP server, no matter where they connect their PC. It allows you a lot more control over which workstations/devices can be connected, how much bandwidth can be used by them, which provider has preference, traffic management etc. This solves more than one problem you have. A system like this is also easier to maintain and keep redundant parts for in case of an emergency.

Stoic Joker:
 :huh: ...WAN port on a switch? :huh:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version