ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Non-Windows Software

Debian Tails OS question

<< < (4/5) > >>

ewemoa:
On a parallel track a quick and dirty thing you could do is install ToolWiz TimeFreeze
-MilesAhead (May 22, 2014, 03:03 PM)
--- End quote ---

Looks very interesting!  Thanks for sharing :Thmbsup:

40hz:
To remaster Linux Cinnamon, which one of the above would anyone recommend?
Do I need to be working from a HD with Linux, or can I work from Win 7 32-bit?
-bit (May 22, 2014, 02:24 PM)
--- End quote ---

The official remastering tool for Linux Mint was something called mintconstructor.

Unfortunately, the powers that be over at Mint have since pulled it from their website over a silly snit they were having with some people who were allegedly misusing the Mint logo. More on that kerfuffle can be found here.

Regarding doing a remastering:

A Linux distro is not like a Windows installation. A distro is not just the Linux OS. Most also contain a fairly extensive collection of apps that get installed along with the OS. Things like Firefox, LibreOffice, VLC Media Player, and Thunderbird, and other standard apps are usually included by default. When you install most distros you have a complete environment you can use out of the box. So it's seldom necessary to do a remastered DVD just to put something in. Especially if it's a very popular app.

FWIW, when distros get remastered it's usually either done to strip them down to become a minimal single purpose tool (like GParted) - or to optimize them for a specific family of applications like music or media authoring (ex: DreamStudio, TangoStudio, etc.)

Note: remastering is not always as simple as it sounds. The degree of automation and hand-holding varies widely, and is determined by which distro you use as your base, and which remastering tools are available for it.  If you want to just wade in and give it a go, Edvard's suggestion to try SuseStudio is a good one. That's about as easy a starting point as you'll ever find.

8)

bit:
Thank you very much!
Please excuse me, but this is sort of a change of subject; I run Windows 7 Pro, and it's going to be fine for a few years.
But eventually, it'll go the way of Windows XP.
So by then, if I ran a permanent Linux installation on a hard drive to replace an aging Win 7, would it make less demand on my hard drive and AMD 4400+ dual-core's resources than Windows?

Would Linux still need antivirus protection?

40hz:
So by then, if I ran a permanent Linux installation on a hard drive to replace an aging Win 7, would it make less demand on my hard drive and AMD 4400+ dual-core's resources than Windows?

-bit (May 28, 2014, 10:35 PM)
--- End quote ---

How could anybody possibly know that?  Nobody can predict the future. And Microsoft holds its cards pretty close to their vest.

So the answer is: "Yes...no...uh...I don't know!"  :D

Would Linux still need antivirus protection?
-bit (May 28, 2014, 10:35 PM)
--- End quote ---

Count on it. If it becomes increasingly popular it will become increasingly targeted by malware.

bit:
^Wise words.
Thank you.  :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version