ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Non-Windows Software

Debian Tails OS question

<< < (3/5) > >>

bit:
Edvard I'm glad you answered me here, and 40hz too, b/c I never knew any of this stuff. Thank you once again everyone.  :)

40hz:
Edvard I'm glad you answered me here, and 40hz too, b/c I never knew any of this stuff. Thank you once again everyone.  :)
-bit (May 22, 2014, 01:39 PM)
--- End quote ---

That's the Linux "community thing" at work. "Helping ourselves by helping each other."

One more reason to become a part of it. :) :Thmbsup:

bit:
Edvard I'm glad you answered me here, and 40hz too, b/c I never knew any of this stuff. Thank you once again everyone.  :)
-bit (May 22, 2014, 01:39 PM)
--- End quote ---

That's the Linux "community thing" at work. "Helping ourselves by helping each other."
 (see attachment in previous post)
One more reason to become a part of it. :) :Thmbsup:
-40hz (May 22, 2014, 02:02 PM)
--- End quote ---
^heh. :)
To remaster Linux Cinnamon, which one of the above would anyone recommend?
Do I need to be working from a HD with Linux, or can I work from Win 7 32-bit?

MilesAhead:
On a parallel track a quick and dirty thing you could do is install ToolWiz TimeFreeze

It's free and there's nothing to using it.  Run it the first time and accept the defaults.  It uses the Shadow Service so that programs that think they are writing to the system partition are actually writing to a 1/2 GB cache(adjustable.)

I didn't really have a problem with it other than a bit of a performance hit.  If you try it I recommend not setting the option to come up on Windows start with the protection on.  It just makes it easier to shut it off when done.

Then I'd do a scan just to make sure none of the other partitions(if you have more than C:) got any malware.

Edit: Of course it's only good for system protection.  Not protection from search or tracking cookies etc. being active while you're browsing with it.

Edvard:
Mmm, Edvard, how about a separate thread for that list of yours? :)
-ewemoa (May 22, 2014, 07:08 AM)
--- End quote ---

Great idea.  I'll include more in-depth comments, some how-to links, and list a few more I found that were missed this time.  Maybe even *gasp* use a few of them to see what happens.  Might take a few days though.   ;)

To remaster Linux Cinnamon, which one of the above would anyone recommend?
-bit (May 22, 2014, 02:24 PM)
--- End quote ---

Probably the most recent and updated would be Live-Magic for Ubuntu/Debian, Revisor for Fedora, and (just found this one) SuseStudio.  Remastersys used to be the go-to tool for remastering Ubuntu, but development has stopped and is likely to go stagnant soon unless somebody comes up with a viable fork.  I've seen folks still reporting using it recently, so it may be an option.

Do I need to be working from a HD with Linux, or can I work from Win 7 32-bit?
--- End quote ---

Most of those tools are Linux-only, so yes you'll need to be running some form of Linux from HD, and be warned many don't have websites to read documentation from, so YMMV. 
One exception to the Linux-only requirement is SuseStudio (see link above), which is browser-based.  You simply tell it what you want, it builds your custom Suse remaster on their cloud servers, then serves you a download.  If you're OK with Suse, it's prolly the easiest.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version