topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 11:46 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Ivy Bridge vs Haswell  (Read 3740 times)

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Ivy Bridge vs Haswell
« on: May 20, 2014, 02:30 PM »
So, I'm looking at building a new computer.  Not looking forward to it, but it's definitely something I need to do.

I usually try to upgrade on the tock cycle to the last tick, i.e. upgrade to the new die size when they update the microarchitecture.  It's just been more efficient in terms of how long I can use it, and price.  But when looking at Ivy Bridge vs. Haswell, it doesn't seem as clear-cut.  The prices are pretty comparable, which is the confusing part.

Then I read this article which fuzzed it up even more: http://www.extremete...oure-a-pc-enthusiast

Does anyone have any insight on it?

My proposed build right now looks like this:

http://pcpartpicker....wraith808/saved/4Kqh

Also, I have this power supply in my old build that I am going to use - http://www.newegg.co...Item=N82E16817139002

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Ivy Bridge vs Haswell
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2014, 04:10 PM »
Why leave out the SSD? I'd go for a 250 GB or bigger if the budget allows it. Or is price the reason you left it out?

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2014, 04:25 PM »
In the end it comes down to what you want to do with it. If you're not an overclocker, and you're doing normal things (i.e. gaming, webbing, running productivity and media apps, etc.) either chip is equally fine. Haswell has more future upside if AVX optimized software takes off. But it will probably be a a bit before it does - assuming it does. I'm thinking it will. Eventually...

Prices being mostly equal, having additional features that may take off down the road, and performance being marginally better with Haswell across the board, Haswell is technically the more "future-proof" chip. But seriously, who cares? By the time the software catches up, it'll be time for a new system anyway.

I think your current build configuration looks just fine. It'll be one serious machine once it gets assembled. I wouldn't worry about it.

Simple truth is this technology advances so quickly, and changes course so rapidly, that no matter what you pick today - it won't be the ideal decision a year from now. My approach is: get a decent CPU, a quality mobo, name-brand power supply and video card, max out the RAM, add a quality hard drive - and call it a day. And no matter what else, try not to let it make you crazy.
 :Thmbsup:
« Last Edit: May 20, 2014, 04:31 PM by 40hz »

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2014, 05:02 PM »
Why leave out the SSD? I'd go for a 250 GB or bigger if the budget allows it. Or is price the reason you left it out?

I still don't trust it enough.  I'm allowed to not be bleeding edge on *everything*.  The blacks are performance drives enough for me... and the extra space is worth it for the price point.  The other big thing- there's some software out there that uses ProgramData, AppData, and the user directory.  Yeah... you should have a choice.  But if I use the software, then I deal with it and StrongSync forces the issue now on keeping your sync in the user directory.

Simple truth is this technology advances so quickly, and changes course so rapidly, that no matter what you pick today - it won't be the ideal decision a year from now. My approach is: get a decent CPU, a quality mobo, name-brand power supply and video card, max out the RAM, add a quality hard drive - and call it a day. And no matter what else, try not to let it make you crazy.

Good advice... I've been agonizing over this for a few weeks now... LOL  :Thmbsup:

I thought my tick tock approach helped with these decisions- and it has in the past.  But not this time... *sigh*

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2014, 05:34 PM »
lol, i was just putting together my notes for the gigging computer I'm building.  I went through this debate.  I'm not sure what is haswell or not, but the x97 chips JUST came out and they aren't that expensive, so I'm getting that.  And I know it doesn't really matter, lol.  Here are my notes:
Motherboard:
MSI Z87-GD65
Source: Best motherboard: 9 top boards reviewed and rated: Verdict | News | TechRadar  (14 May 2014 1:52 PM)
http://www.newegg.co...Item=N82E16813130692
$200
LGA 1150
4th Generation Intel Core i7,Core i5,Core i3,Pentium,Celeron(LGA1150)
Intel Z87

The new Devil's Canyon Intel chips just came out, so maybe consider them since they are not necessarily that much more expensive.  THis will be the Core i7-4790K chip.
For Z97 motherboards, the following are good:
ASUS Maximus VII Ranger
Source: ASUS Maximus VII Ranger - Google Search  (14 May 2014 2:13 PM)
http://www.asus.com/.../MAXIMUS_VII_RANGER/
Hero is the flagship model, Ranger is the budget model, and Gene is the micro-ATX model.

wait for the devil's canyon chip to come out, it's the K-series chip.  A comparison of the chips to clear up the confusion:
http://thepcenthusia...nyon-specifications/
i7-4790K (Intel chip) should be around $300

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2014, 05:36 PM »
My approach is: get a decent CPU, a quality mobo, name-brand power supply and video card, max out the RAM, add a quality hard drive - and call it a day. And no matter what else, try not to let it make you crazy.
Brilliant!!  It's exactly the right way.

SeraphimLabs

• Participant
  • Joined in 2012
  • Be Ready
    • View Profile
    • SeraphimLabs
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2014, 11:28 AM »
The haswells in my experience are quite incredible compared to the sandy and ivy cores.

Long as you pay close attention to its cooling needs, they absolutely haul while using a lot less power than previous generations.

I've been mining altcoins on one almost nonstop for a few months now. With all 4 cores pegged, its about 80W and maintains 65C using a large heatpipe. Gives 83kh as well, unusually high for a CPU.

My favorite build right now is a haswell CPU with 8-16GB of ram, a 160GB SSD for the operating system and programs, and a 1TB conventional for bulk storage. Add a nice GPU to the mix and throw it all together in a cheap case and you get a system that boots Windows 7 in about 14 seconds while staying nice and chill under load and using very little power at idle.