ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Switzerland-based ProtonMail, yet another secure email service

<< < (12/13) > >>

Deozaan:
This is now old news (Summer/Fall 2016), but I've only just learned of it:

How Google Nearly Killed ProtonMail.

I'll give you a hint: Google can control which search results show up when people do a search for "encrypted email." Guess which Gmail competitor didn't show up in the search results?

wraith808:
I'll give you a hint: Google can control which search results show up when people do a search for "encrypted email." Guess which Gmail competitor didn't show up in the search results?
-Deozaan (August 22, 2017, 01:57 AM)
--- End quote ---

Is there a reliable way for consumers to defend against this?  I've taken to searching more than one search engine, but this is a pain.  Is there a reliable service that searches a lot of search engines and collates the results, so this becomes obvious?

Edvard:

Is there a reliable way for consumers to defend against this?  I've taken to searching more than one search engine, but this is a pain.  Is there a reliable service that searches a lot of search engines and collates the results, so this becomes obvious?
-wraith808 (August 22, 2017, 12:38 PM)
--- End quote ---

I believe DuckDuckGo and Startpage do aggregate/metasearching.  Dogpile is still around, which combines Google and Yahoo results.  Qwant is a European search engine jumping on the "we won't track you" bandwagon.

Oh, looky what I found:
List of Metasearch Engines
http://l-lists.com/en/lists/e34z3f.html

wraith808:

-wraith808 (August 22, 2017, 12:38 PM)
--- End quote ---

I believe DuckDuckGo and Startpage do aggregate/metasearching.  Dogpile is still around, which combines Google and Yahoo results.  Qwant is a European search engine jumping on the "we won't track you" bandwagon.

Oh, looky what I found:
List of Metasearch Engines
http://l-lists.com/en/lists/e34z3f.html

-Edvard (August 22, 2017, 11:37 PM)
--- End quote ---

DuckDuckGo mentions nothing about aggregate search.  And the last time I evaluated them, there were results missing from their searches that were in Bing and Google for the same search.

4wd:
Oh, looky what I found:
List of Metasearch Engines-Edvard (August 22, 2017, 11:37 PM)
--- End quote ---

Thanks, just started using search404 (last on the list), much better than Google, DDG, or StartPage with more options (easily accessible search parameters, eg. music, files, etc), ability to download results, show where results came from, etc.

Very nice so far, my new default in all the browsers.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version