topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 12:37 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Switzerland-based ProtonMail, yet another secure email service  (Read 39618 times)

holt

• Joined in 2015
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Switzerland-based ProtonMail, yet another secure email service
« Reply #50 on: March 27, 2016, 03:57 PM »
I wonder what anyone thinks of Yandex; I like that they don't require a mobile number.

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #51 on: March 27, 2016, 07:19 PM »
I wonder what anyone thinks of Yandex; I like that they don't require a mobile number.
That looks like a link to a mobile-based email service, which is apparently not "secure" in the same context as this thread (is it?).

holt

• Joined in 2015
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #52 on: March 27, 2016, 08:50 PM »
That looks like a link to a mobile-based email service, which is apparently not "secure" in the same context as this thread (is it?).
Good point about 'not secure', which is why I combine it with Tor. What does 'mobile-based' mean, please? I do need it to be cellphone-free and workable with Tor, which it is, and I appreciate your comments very much. PS - I see that Yandex comes in at the #2 spot in About.com's Top 10 Free Email Services for 2016.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2016, 09:12 PM by holt »

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #53 on: March 27, 2016, 10:24 PM »
@holt: Eh? I'm rather confuzzled now.
Your earlier post hadn't mentioned anything about "...I combine it with Tor", so I don't know what that's about.

In your second post, the "Top 10 " link refers to Yandex as "...Yandex.Mail could function as a full we-based IMAP client" - that is, if it was upgraded. That's what i meant about mobile-only - the site you linked to earlier seemed to indicate that actually Yandex.Mail wasn't a pukka web-based IMAP client.
I only posted my comment to suggest politely that you might have posted your comment in a thread where it was not relevant.

I'm sure Yandex is very good (Why wouldn't it be?), but - and I could be wrong, of course - it doesn't seem to be trying to portray itself as providing a secure encrypted email service such as ProtonMail - does it?   :tellme:
« Last Edit: March 27, 2016, 10:51 PM by IainB »

holt

• Joined in 2015
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #54 on: March 27, 2016, 10:34 PM »
I'm sure you're correct in everything; it appears I posted inappropriately in the wrong thread; sorry.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2016, 12:24 PM by holt »

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #55 on: August 22, 2017, 01:57 AM »
This is now old news (Summer/Fall 2016), but I've only just learned of it:

How Google Nearly Killed ProtonMail.

I'll give you a hint: Google can control which search results show up when people do a search for "encrypted email." Guess which Gmail competitor didn't show up in the search results?

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #56 on: August 22, 2017, 12:38 PM »
I'll give you a hint: Google can control which search results show up when people do a search for "encrypted email." Guess which Gmail competitor didn't show up in the search results?

Is there a reliable way for consumers to defend against this?  I've taken to searching more than one search engine, but this is a pain.  Is there a reliable service that searches a lot of search engines and collates the results, so this becomes obvious?

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #57 on: August 22, 2017, 11:37 PM »

Is there a reliable way for consumers to defend against this?  I've taken to searching more than one search engine, but this is a pain.  Is there a reliable service that searches a lot of search engines and collates the results, so this becomes obvious?

I believe DuckDuckGo and Startpage do aggregate/metasearching.  Dogpile is still around, which combines Google and Yahoo results.  Qwant is a European search engine jumping on the "we won't track you" bandwagon.

Oh, looky what I found:
List of Metasearch Engines
http://l-lists.com/en/lists/e34z3f.html

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #58 on: August 23, 2017, 11:54 AM »

I believe DuckDuckGo and Startpage do aggregate/metasearching.  Dogpile is still around, which combines Google and Yahoo results.  Qwant is a European search engine jumping on the "we won't track you" bandwagon.

Oh, looky what I found:
http://l-lists.com/en/lists/e34z3f.html

DuckDuckGo mentions nothing about aggregate search.  And the last time I evaluated them, there were results missing from their searches that were in Bing and Google for the same search.

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #59 on: August 23, 2017, 08:22 PM »
Oh, looky what I found:

Thanks, just started using search404 (last on the list), much better than Google, DDG, or StartPage with more options (easily accessible search parameters, eg. music, files, etc), ability to download results, show where results came from, etc.

Very nice so far, my new default in all the browsers.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #60 on: August 23, 2017, 08:37 PM »
Interesting... they use an OSS engine called searx.  There are several other providers that use this.

https://github.com/a...wiki/Searx-instances