ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Developer's Corner

Want to make some extra coin? Like a LOT of extra coin? BIG BOUNTY!

(1/6) > >>

Renegade:
Want to make some extra coin? ;D

http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/25sf4f/100000_bounty_for_software_platform_that_can/

$100,000 bounty for software platform that can replace the Bitcoin Foundation

Hi Everyone,

My name is Olivier Janssens, early adopter and Bitcoin millionaire. The Bitcoin foundation has had its role in the last 2 years. Unfortunately, it is internally recreating the same archaic political system that fails to work for society. Bitcoin is the currency of the internet generation. It puts the power back into the hands of the people. You cannot expect its main representative organisation to be exactly the opposite: A non-transparent, political and secretive elite. We have been trying to push the BF for transparency and clear communication for years, without result. Meanwhile they started creating even more political structures inside, such as committees, which can only be accessed by knowing the right people. At the bitcoin 2014 conference, organised by this same organisation, I expected to see full internet participation + live streaming of their events. Especially of the BF member meeting, where they are supposed to get input from their members and disclose what they have been up to. Instead, the board decided that the event is not to be recorded or broadcasted. We have also no idea or say on how our money is spent. Half of their board gets elected by industry members (a group of about 100 companies), and recently lead to another extremely controversial election of Brock Pierce, which has a history of being connected to cases involving fraud and pedophilia. This needs to stop.
We as an internet community, don’t need public figures to decide what’s good for us. We need to stop politicking and start focussing on the projects directly. For example, we need a project to fund the core development of bitcoin, and put our money straight to that. We need a project to have lobbyists in Washington, to fight the anti-bitcoin lobbyists from Mastercard, and to prevent the government from destroying the currency. Basically, we don’t need another intermediary. We can do this ourselves. Therefor, I want to announce today that I am organising a contest and giving $100k USD in BTC, to the group that can come up with the best platform to make this happen. I am thinking of a system where prominent people can voice their opinion, where people can propose projects, and where the core devs can actively show their roadmap with detailed features + costs, and where we can vote on the features being implemented by sending bitcoins towards the feature of our choice. This will allow the core dev team to expand by being able to add/pay more devs for feature requests which are fully funded. Maybe we can even evolve to a system later where anyone can work on a feature, which, when programmed properly (approved by the core team), will receive the bounty. The same applies to lobbyists, we just send bitcoins towards the one that we consider the most competent for the job. This will allow Bitcoin to grow and expand at a rate it deserves, a rate that a political organisation such as the foundation can never accomplish.

Let’s liberate bitcoin.

Olivier

Rules of the contest:

* Anyone can participate
* Software will be open sourced
* I will cover the initial hosting costs, until it can be self funded and created as a DAO
* Reddit community can help by voting on the platform submissions they like the most
* Ultimately I will decide who wins, but I will take all votes and feedback into account
* Deadline for submissions is 1 month from now: 17 june 2014 at 12:00 UTC[/size]

--- End quote ---

40hz:
While I respect the hope behind the offer, I can't see where anything like this (should it really take off) will remain immune to the same problems and malevolent forces that are besetting Bitcoin right now. Any time the potential for huge amounts of money and power gets put on the table, it's only a matter of time before the less noble element shows up to exploit it - with government and criminal interests arriving close behind.

So while I think it's great that Mssr. Jannsens has proposed this (hopefully with the most noble of intentions) I don't think it will ultimately turn out much different than what has gone before it.

Still, I wish this endeavor the best of luck. Because it's going to need it. :huh:

wraith808:
So while I think it's great that Mssr. Jannsens has proposed this (hopefully with the most noble of intentions) I don't think it will ultimately turn out much different than what has gone before it.
-40hz (May 18, 2014, 11:22 AM)
--- End quote ---

In short, people suck.  And the more power they have, the more they suck.  So, it's just the option of the person that's doing the sucking.

TaoPhoenix:
Even playing it "straight up" there are many other types of problems with this offer not counting tinfoil hats.

- Where is he located and under what fiscal laws govern him? The U. S. Treasury / IRS just ruled that Bitcoin counts a lot like "stocks" so I'd bet $100k is a big enough "public" amount for them to send at least a middle manager around to make sure they got their cut! (So is that $100k raw, meaning the recipient is really only keeping some $55k of it before the state level?

- I'd want a CPA/Other kind of professional to certify this guy. Coming from my position of know-nothing, this could dangerously be copied as text to become Phish V3.0, way nastier than any Nigerian! And even from him, "Hi, I'm running a huge contest, so send me a month's worth of work" leaves a lot of holes. I'd want to see a "contract/bond to pay the prize money already in escrow" for something like this.

- He lists "projects" each of which themselves would cost several millions! This is just for a "platform". Where is all *that*  funding coming from? Him?

40hz:
-40hz (May 18, 2014, 11:22 AM)
--- End quote ---

In short, people suck.  And the more power they have, the more they suck.  So, it's just the option of the person that's doing the sucking.
-wraith808 (May 18, 2014, 05:35 PM)
--- End quote ---

No. It's not so much people suck as they get weird - and do weird things - around money.

And the bigger the amount of money up for grabs, the more (and sooner) they get that way.

I don't know if it's "human nature" or "the odds" or "original sin" or whatever. But it works out that way often enough that it might as well be whenever people and money go out dancing with each other. ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version