ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Looking for a 6U rackmount atx chassis.

(1/3) > >>

superboyac:
Can any of you recommend an affordable 6U chassis to house an atx computer?  I don't need a lot of space for hard drives, I'll be using only a couple of SSDs.  But I want a lot of room for big fans.  Also, it seems these kinds of cases are really expensive >$500, so if any of you have cheaper alternatives, that would be great.
Is there a used market where I may be able to get it cheaper?

40hz:
Short of finding one on EBay, I don't know where else to suggest. 6U is an awfully specialized chassis size, so there aren't going to be that many choices (new or used) to begin with.

If you're willing to come down to 4U or smaller, places like Directron offer very affordable cases you might want to look at. These won't all be from top-shelf makers (or built to data center specs) but for something like a large home server that's mostly  going to stay put and not be constantly ditzed with, they'll work just fine.

Maybe Stoic has some recommendations for this one since he gets involved in more hardware purchases than I do?

Luck! :Thmbsup:

superboyac:
Short of finding one on EBay, I don't know where else to suggest. 6U is an awfully specialized chassis size, so there aren't going to be that many choices (new or used) to begin with.

If you're willing to come down to 4U or smaller, places like Directron offer very affordable cases you might want to look at. These won't all be from top-shelf makers (or built to data center specs) but for something like a large home server that's mostly  going to stay put and not be constantly ditzed with, they'll work just fine.

Maybe Stoic has some recommendations for this one since he gets involved in more hardware purchases than I do?

Luck! :Thmbsup:
-40hz (May 16, 2014, 11:25 AM)
--- End quote ---
Thanks.  Yes I am willing to go to 4U because they are so much cheaper!  I was just trying to avoid noise issues.  This is for a gigging computer.  I'm finally satisfied with the technology we have available and am ready to play keyboard through the computer rather than onboard sounds.  After all 32-128 MB onboard can't compete with a desktop running multi-GB samples.

40hz:
Take a look at this article and website for lot of good info and guidance on PC noise factors and noise reduction. :Thmbsup:

superboyac:
Nice, I found one there.  For $100 I get a case with 90mm fans.  For $250, I get a case with 120mm fans.  worth $150 for larger fans?  hmm...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version